E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > No throttle, Rad fan running when cold, car dies on startup

12-13-2023, 12:53 PM   #1
JimThot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

No throttle, Rad fan running when cold, car dies on startup

I’m in canada and winter is currently coming in and I didn’t start the car for a full day in -10 ~ -15°C (14 °F ~ 5 °F). Tried starting it up this morning and the car was dead. boosted it and went on my way. After 15 min I stopped at a walmart and turned the car off to grab the key out and start it again to let it run while i was inside. Car died instantly after turning it off. Got someone to help boost me again, then noticed that I have no throttle even when gunning it in 1st and 2nd gear. I noticed my rad fan was on even though the oil temp wasn’t even at 70°C (158°F). Drove around for another 20-30 min and the oil still hasn’t gone over 70°C, rad fan still on and i stopped at home and turned the car off and tried starting again and it died instantly AGAIN. Note this whole time i had zero lights on the dash. Never seen or had a problem like this before..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 06:08 PM   #2
Mrmigs2011
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 E92 335i

If rad fans going nuts and power cut I believe that's the car telling you the electric water pump may have failed.

Either that or you have poor connection to the water pump or coolant temp sensor.

Your problem could possibly be diagnosed with a diagnostics read of the ECU!

Good luck🤞
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 07:04 AM   #3
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

did you scan the car ? did you find the issue?

curious.

I had a issue somewhat similar, and it was the gas pedal, it had a short because of the salt and corrosion and it made the car crazy. No way to clean it or repair it, I had to buy a new pedal.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 11:44 PM   #4
JimThot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
did you scan the car ? did you find the issue?

curious.

I had a issue somewhat similar, and it was the gas pedal, it had a short because of the salt and corrosion and it made the car crazy. No way to clean it or repair it, I had to buy a new pedal.
seemed like the battery was drained very low overnight hence the jump starting. after i trickle charged it for a bit it fixed itself.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 07:01 AM   #5
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThot View Post
seemed like the battery was drained very low overnight hence the jump starting. after i trickle charged it for a bit it fixed itself.
Battery issues really f**k with these cars. I had the same problem last year. It's a 2009 and had the original battery. I can't believe it lasted that long
Like others mentions above you also experienced dreaded signs of a failed water pump. If you haven't already replaced it start saving $$$ for it because it will happen. A new pump is $500+.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 08:36 AM   #6
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaronbwall View Post
Battery issues really f**k with these cars. I had the same problem last year. It's a 2009 and had the original battery. I can't believe it lasted that long
Like others mentions above you also experienced dreaded signs of a failed water pump. If you haven't already replaced it start saving $$$ for it because it will happen. A new pump is $500+.
for the pump I get the SKP one on rock auto, 170$ usd few years ago, and so far so good. Almost 60k km on it.

Change it on a DIY and xdrive. Wasn't super fun, but easy. Only takes time to deal with the bolts since no access. 4-5 hours job
Appreciate 1