E90Post
 


Evolution of Speed
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Wheel and tire setup



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #1
redwildcat17
Private
redwildcat17's Avatar
5
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: e93 m3
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: madison, WI

iTrader: (0)

Wheel and tire setup

What does everyone run for wheel and tire setups on e90's? Looking to lower the car a bit and run 18's square setup but not sure on width, offset, and tire size. Looking at apex sm-10's and would like to go at least 9" wide. Looking mostly at 18x10 et 33 or 18x9.5 et 35. Would either of these work and with what tire? Thanks for any help, post pics if you got em!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
Achappell8
Private
United_States
9
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: BMW 335xi M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
I run a square set - 18x8.5 +30 in the winter. These are definitely not a flush fitment. Could probably go much more aggressive depending on how lowered you are.

In the summer time, I run the M3 spec style 219m wheels. Which I believe are 18x8.5/+29 front and 18x9.5/+23 rear. 235/255 width tires respectively. These fit well in my opinion.

Hope that helps!

Edit: running continental extreme contact tires in the summer - 235/40/18 and 255/35/18. Winters are blizzak 225/40/18 if memory serves me.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #3
redwildcat17
Private
redwildcat17's Avatar
5
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: e93 m3
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: madison, WI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achappell8 View Post
I run a square set - 18x8.5 +30 in the winter. These are definitely not a flush fitment. Could probably go much more aggressive depending on how lowered you are.

In the summer time, I run the M3 spec style 219m wheels. Which I believe are 18x8.5/+29 front and 18x9.5/+23 rear. 235/255 width tires respectively. These fit well in my opinion.

Hope that helps!

Edit: running continental extreme contact tires in the summer - 235/40/18 and 255/35/18. Winters are blizzak 225/40/18 if memory serves me.
Awesome thanks for the help! You don't happen to have a picture with the summer setup do you?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
Achappell8
Private
United_States
9
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: BMW 335xi M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Sadly no.. hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll swap out the wheels and could take one then. Damn New England weather has been killing my vibe lately!

I can try to get a pic with the current winter setup if that's helpful.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
redwildcat17
Private
redwildcat17's Avatar
5
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: e93 m3
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: madison, WI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achappell8 View Post
Sadly no.. hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll swap out the wheels and could take one then. Damn New England weather has been killing my vibe lately!

I can try to get a pic with the current winter setup if that's helpful.
That's ok, just looking for aggressive summer setups. And same In wisconsin! It was 70 degrees less than a week ago and now we have snow on the ground again :
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #6
4 Doors
Second Lieutenant
4 Doors's Avatar
51
Rep
253
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi (E90)
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwildcat17 View Post
That's ok, just looking for aggressive summer setups. And same In wisconsin! It was 70 degrees less than a week ago and now we have snow on the ground again :
I feel your pain...in Michigan here...snow and sleet all weekend. Just when I wanted to swap my winter tires for my summer.
__________________
Instagram: 4doors

Current: 2008 E90 335xi Sport (Stock for now!)
Past: 1996 E36 328i Sport (bought in 2007)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 11:05 PM   #7
Duck360198
Major
83
Rep
1,426
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 335i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH

iTrader: (8)

I've been curious about this as well. The x-drive has been a tough one to nail down for me from a suspension side of things and wheels and tires. From what I'm seeing the 8.5 fronts and 9.5 rears seem to be the safest option. I want to go with 9.5 fronts with a +35 offset but it sounds like these specs could be troublesome for the axles?

Have others heard the same thing? It doesn't seem that aggressive!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 09:04 PM   #8
redwildcat17
Private
redwildcat17's Avatar
5
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: e93 m3
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: madison, WI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck360198 View Post
I've been curious about this as well. The x-drive has been a tough one to nail down for me from a suspension side of things and wheels and tires. From what I'm seeing the 8.5 fronts and 9.5 rears seem to be the safest option. I want to go with 9.5 fronts with a +35 offset but it sounds like these specs could be troublesome for the axles?

Have others heard the same thing? It doesn't seem that aggressive!
I think I'm leaning toward 9.5 squared also just unsure on the offset
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:43 PM   #9
redwildcat17
Private
redwildcat17's Avatar
5
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: e93 m3
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: madison, WI

iTrader: (0)

Anyone have an input on 18x9.5 et 35?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 07:52 AM   #10
Achappell8
Private
United_States
9
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: BMW 335xi M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Here are the pics of my summer set up. 8.5 in the front 9.5 in the rear. Offsets as described earlier.
Attached Images
    
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2018, 10:55 PM   #11
Duck360198
Major
83
Rep
1,426
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 335i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achappell8 View Post
Here are the pics of my summer set up. 8.5 in the front 9.5 in the rear. Offsets as described earlier.
So you said you're running a 235/255 setup with those? Isn't that bad because of the greater than 1% difference? I thought ideally you'd have to go 225/255 or 235/265, no?

I'm leaning toward a 9.5 square setup as well, but I want to minimize stretch and I feel like that's a narrow tire for an AWD 335. I feel like some grip will be missing if I went that route.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #12
Achappell8
Private
United_States
9
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: BMW 335xi M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
I'll have to double check the tire sizes. I bought the car with the 219 wheels on there so I assumed they were fine to run but no I'm second guessing!

Edit: double checked. 225/40 in the front!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:00 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST