E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Checking 6-Digit Number on N54 Fuel Injector Already Installed

04-04-2021, 02:04 PM   #1
RevALot
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Checking 6-Digit Number on N54 Fuel Injector Already Installed

I need to get the 6-digit number on the fuel injector in cylinder 6. Could I just remove the fuel injector, check the number, then put the fuel injector back in? I'm wondering if I need to get another o-ring and decoupler installed onto it if I pull the fuel injector out.

It was installed without getting the 6-digit number for coding, so I need to pull the injedctor back out. I tried to just remove the engine cover and take a picture of the fuel injector number, but the space is too small for my phone to take a picture of it clearly.

Thank you to anyone for any help they can provide.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 02:58 PM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Pretty sure they are visible without removing them. Maybe not with your phone/camera, but you should be able to shine a light on them and see it with your eyes.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 03:19 PM   #3
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Pretty sure they are visible without removing them. Maybe not with your phone/camera, but you should be able to shine a light on them and see it with your eyes.
You can't unless you have some ungodly eyesight or I'm just an idiot (probably the latter). I just tried this this weekend, the angle on 5 and 6 is too sharp. it just looks like white squigglies. OP, if you have one of those adjustable telescopic mirror things, thats what I ended up using to get the values

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 03:58 PM   #4
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
you can see them fine. try harder

12.0 @ 117
Appreciate 3
      04-04-2021, 06:35 PM   #5
langsbr
First Lieutenant
Rep

If you remove the injector you need to replace the decoupler and teflon seal. Neglecting to do so can result in the hole not sealing properly and melting causing you to need a new cylinder head.

Not worth the risk if you don't do it right.

You need a proper injector removal tool as well. Some people think they can rock the injector back and forth to make it loose - bad idea. The proper tool is basically a small slide hammer to pop it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 10:23 AM   #6
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Get a small mirror. I can see all of the numbers on my injectors just fine without pulling them out...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 12:26 PM   #7
RevALot
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks to all who responded!

I was able to get the numbers on the fuel injector in cylinder #6 without removing the fuel injector, but it took what seemed like a couple of hours to figure out. I used 3 flashlights, the digital zoom of the rear-facing camera on my dated Samsung J7 (SM-J700T), and a not so steady hand due to years of Stella Artois and Corona beer.

It was a sunny day, but still needed light shined on fuel injector #6. I beamed the 3 flashlights at the front of fuel injector. Since the space in front of fuel injector #6 was too small to effectively photograph the number on the fuel injector, I held my phone 1 to 2 feet away from the front and used the digital zoom (max zoom capability is x4 I believe) of the rear-facing camera to zoom into the numbers on the front of the fuel injector. Using my borderline alcoholic shaky hand, I took at least more than 12 pictures, imported them into GIMP on Fedora Linux Workstation version 33 (GIMP = GNU Image Manipulation Program) and used the filters on the application to clear out the fuzziness I was seeing on the numbers. The filters weren't clearing up the numbers like I expected, but this was surely due to my lack of skill in GIMP or ANY photo-editing application...

I had my ole'lady look at the numbers. Then, in an arrogant and totally selfless attempt to prove to her how WRONG she was I put on her glasses, looked at the numbers, and VOILA, the fuzziness of the numbers unfuzzied, and I could see the numbers:

Fuck me with a Lemon Zester, I NEED GLASSES!!!

In the future, I'll just get the numbers on the fuel injector before installing it into the engine...

P.S: I got the 6 digit number (575209), reprogrammed the DME with the new value using the ProTool software on an Android tablet, but I'm still getting a misfire. Next, I'm gonna replace the coil-pack and spark-plug. If it continues to misfire, I'll conclude that it is because the fuel injector is an Index 10 version, and incompatible with the other fuel injectors in this bank of injectors. Then I'll schedule time replacing all 6 injectors with Index 12 versions, or pay someone to do it for me. I've already purchased 6 Index 12 Fuel Injectors from FCP Euro. They're still in an unopened box. Was hoping this would fix the issue so I can get my $1,400 back, but that may not happen.

Thanks again to all for their response and advice to my post!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 05:06 PM   #8
turbohugh
ASCMA General
Rep
Drives: E90-N54 <>E36 328Vert

Get an wifi endoscope camera from amazon. 25$ and it's great for looking inside cylinders etc. I usually take a peek every spark plug change. . Can also look inside drain plug on engine. I had 5 out of 6 injectors incorrectly coded in my car. Endoscope pics allowed me to do it all in INPA .
glad it worked out for you .
Appreciate 1
E93Dude369.00
      04-16-2021, 05:40 PM   #9
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 MT6

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Endoscope is a great all purpose tool Amazon is filled with choices.

I believe if you hook your OBDII port to an Android device with ProTool, I think ProTool will read you the injector values. Its been a while since I had to code injectors, so I am not 100% sure.
      04-18-2021, 07:37 AM   #10
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevALot View Post
I need to get the 6-digit number on the fuel injector in cylinder 6. Could I just remove the fuel injector, check the number, then put the fuel injector back in? I'm wondering if I need to get another o-ring and decoupler installed onto it if I pull the fuel injector out.

It was installed without getting the 6-digit number for coding, so I need to pull the injedctor back out. I tried to just remove the engine cover and take a picture of the fuel injector number, but the space is too small for my phone to take a picture of it clearly.

Thank you to anyone for any help they can provide.
Don't take the fuel injector out, unless you plan on replacing the seal.

Use a telescopic mirror with an led light on it.
Appreciate 0