E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > N57 swirl flaps removed, now getting a plausibility error. How?

09-07-2016, 03:51 AM   #1
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

N57 swirl flaps removed, now getting a plausibility error. How?

Hi Guys. I know there's not a huge amount of experience with the N57 here but was hoping you Guys could help with the principle of the issue.

I have just had a de-swirl'd inlet manifold fitted to my N57 along with numerous other jobs. The swirl flaps are fitted onto a shaft running the length of the manifold so no bungs/blanks are required.

I was getting plausibility errors before the swap which is usually a sign of carbon build up as the swirl flaps struggle to rotate.

Once the new manifold was fitted; I reset a number of engine adaptations including the swirl flaps. I read the codes tonight and had the plausibility error and a "Swirl flaps wide open mechanical fault" error.

These errors are clearly a result of the deflaping and are not actually there given there are no flaps to control but it bugs me knowing I have error codes!

My question is; how does the car know there are no swirl flaps in place? The cam lobe is still connected to the actuator, the only bit that has been removed is the flap shaft that holds the flaps. Essentially the car wouldn't know any different unless it reads resistance on the actuator of measures airflow into the inlet ports; both of which I doubt.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0