E90Post
 


European Auto Source (EAS)
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Tune & Readiness Codes



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #1
MasterC17
Captain
278
Rep
983
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (3)

Tune & Readiness Codes

Just wondering if readiness codes still set after getting the car tuned. I have all the hardware I need to do a DPF, SCR, and EGR delete, and the DME is being sent to BPC to be tuned.

Does anyone else need to have all readiness codes set (except 1) to get their inspection sticker? Are the readiness codes force-set or completely deleted?

Thanks in advance.
__________________
2009 X5d | 2007 E90 Track | 2002 M3 Track | 1991 535i Track
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #2
Hoooper
Colonel
207
Rep
2,211
Posts

Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Petaluma, CA

iTrader: (0)

In MA if they do a diesel test they probably also do a smoke test which you would fail with a downpipe and tune unless you get a cat put in your downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #3
MasterC17
Captain
278
Rep
983
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
In MA if they do a diesel test they probably also do a smoke test which you would fail with a downpipe and tune unless you get a cat put in your downpipe.
No smoke test in MA. Thank goodness, every one of my cars would fail lol
__________________
2009 X5d | 2007 E90 Track | 2002 M3 Track | 1991 535i Track
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 12:50 PM   #4
Hoooper
Colonel
207
Rep
2,211
Posts

Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Petaluma, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
No smoke test in MA. Thank goodness, every one of my cars would fail lol
Do you have another diesel? Real smoke tests are exclusive to diesel. It says on the MA website in the safety inspection they do a smoke test on the exhaust but not in the emissions test. Not sure how/why that would be and how smoke is unsafe but not an emissions issue but hey I live in a screwed up state too so I am not surprised.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
MasterC17
Captain
278
Rep
983
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Do you have another diesel? Real smoke tests are exclusive to diesel. It says on the MA website in the safety inspection they do a smoke test on the exhaust but not in the emissions test. Not sure how/why that would be and how smoke is unsafe but not an emissions issue but hey I live in a screwed up state too so I am not surprised.
I have a 2013 X5d that I am turning in off lease, and the 09 I have had an inspection done on before and I don't recall either needed a smoke test. From the website:

Opacity Test (Tailpipe Test):
This test is used for diesel vehicles weighing more than 10,000 lbs. that are not equipped with on-board diagnostics systems.

That being said, my concern is with readiness codes. Will they set with the tune, or do they just stay in an ambiguous state?
__________________
2009 X5d | 2007 E90 Track | 2002 M3 Track | 1991 535i Track
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
Mrdeezy
Second Lieutenant
46
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: 335d m-sport
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: San diego

iTrader: (0)

my Jerek AA tune runs all of the readiness very quickly. BPC does too i am 99% sure. He says in his tune thread. Might want to check that
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 03:05 PM   #7
MasterC17
Captain
278
Rep
983
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdeezy View Post
my Jerek AA tune runs all of the readiness very quickly. BPC does too i am 99% sure. He says in his tune thread. Might want to check that
That's the answer I needed, thank you
__________________
2009 X5d | 2007 E90 Track | 2002 M3 Track | 1991 535i Track
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 12:48 AM   #8
temporaptor
Second Lieutenant
temporaptor's Avatar
62
Rep
264
Posts

Drives: 11 335D MSport / 12 X5 35d
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Check with your tuner, last I checked with BPC they weren't interested in dealing with readiness monitors.
Let us know if that changed.
That leaves one other tuner who has the monitors sorted out..........
too bad cause BPC claims more HP and TQ.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 08:00 AM   #9
MasterC17
Captain
278
Rep
983
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaptor View Post
Check with your tuner, last I checked with BPC they weren't interested in dealing with readiness monitors.
Let us know if that changed.
That leaves one other tuner who has the monitors sorted out..........
too bad cause BPC claims more HP and TQ.
I actually did ask and received no response...makes me a bit worried.
__________________
2009 X5d | 2007 E90 Track | 2002 M3 Track | 1991 535i Track
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 08:16 AM   #10
MasterC17
Captain
278
Rep
983
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (3)

Here is what I found in the BPC thread:

"With any tune that disables any of the emissions equipment, we sell these tunes as use for off road only and cannot guarantee the car will pass state emissions tests. With that being said, our tune sets most of the readiness codes to NA (not available)"



"This we cannot guarantee that your car will pass your state emissions test. As stated in the first post, a tune that disables ANY of the emissions equipment is sold as Off Road Use Only."

So kind of conflicting information, hard to say for sure.

This insinuates it set: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=10
__________________
2009 X5d | 2007 E90 Track | 2002 M3 Track | 1991 535i Track
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 09:02 AM   #11
Bob@BPC
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Bob@BPC's Avatar
United_States
836
Rep
644
Posts


Drives: F30 328i Sport Line
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Raleigh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
Just wondering if readiness codes still set after getting the car tuned. I have all the hardware I need to do a DPF, SCR, and EGR delete, and the DME is being sent to BPC to be tuned.

Does anyone else need to have all readiness codes set (except 1) to get their inspection sticker? Are the readiness codes force-set or completely deleted?

Thanks in advance.
PM Sent
__________________
Instagram @efi_bob
Email: webmaster@bimmerperformancecenter.com
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #12
Hoooper
Colonel
207
Rep
2,211
Posts

Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Petaluma, CA

iTrader: (0)

I can't see anyone passing with that on the screen. Any qualified tech knows that's not legit.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #13
Mrdeezy
Second Lieutenant
46
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: 335d m-sport
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: San diego

iTrader: (0)

I can guarantee that my car passes. I just tested it.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #14
Hoooper
Colonel
207
Rep
2,211
Posts

Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Petaluma, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdeezy View Post
I can guarantee that my car passes. I just tested it.
With BPC delete tune and the readiness monitors looking like that? Or what do your monitors look like?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #15
m9bm
Bad Driver
United_States
38
Rep
390
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 335d fake M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (10)

Not supported = FAIL in California, gauranteed. It must say Ready
__________________
2010 Space Gray 335d
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:42 PM   #16
lnxguy
Captain
179
Rep
963
Posts

Drives: 2009 335D
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Barrie

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9bm View Post
Not supported = FAIL in California, gauranteed. It must say Ready
Not all engines support the same monitors(Evap system for example, diesels don't have them). Have you ever seen the print out of a OBD emissions test from a diesel?
__________________
'09 335D
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #17
Hoooper
Colonel
207
Rep
2,211
Posts

Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Petaluma, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9bm View Post
Not supported = FAIL in California, gauranteed. It must say Ready
Yeah I wouldnt say that, but the whole list not supported SHOULD be a fail if the tech cares. If you look at a stock 335d report there are a few not supported monitors, such as evap since diesel doesnt have an evap system.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:58 PM   #18
m9bm
Bad Driver
United_States
38
Rep
390
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 335d fake M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (10)

Yes there are a couple that say Not Supported.

The majority must say ready.
__________________
2010 Space Gray 335d
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 11:52 PM   #19
temporaptor
Second Lieutenant
temporaptor's Avatar
62
Rep
264
Posts

Drives: 11 335D MSport / 12 X5 35d
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

No sure what the screen looks like when they do the smog check but my guess is if all but 2 show NA it would be a major red flag. Here is the print out from my smog check on another diesel I have, did it today lol I took off my info on top and the shop on the bottom.

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 08:45 AM   #20
rkundrat
Private
2
Rep
57
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d /// 2009 535XiT
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Very interested in this ready vs. not available in the tunes; it's the one thing holding me back from doing it.

For the record, here is a passing Connecticut emissions report of a stock 335d.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2009 535xiT 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #21
NWCT335d
Private First Class
6
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkundrat View Post
Very interested in this ready vs. not available in the tunes; it's the one thing holding me back from doing it.

For the record, here is a passing Connecticut emissions report of a stock 335d.
This is my concern as well, being in CT. I would love to have a BPC tune done (eliminate EGR and SCR, keep the DPF so as to have no smoke) but am worried about this.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #22
lnxguy
Captain
179
Rep
963
Posts

Drives: 2009 335D
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Barrie

iTrader: (1)

BPC should have no problems setting readiness on those monitors....
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST