Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > TPMS Battery Lifespan?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-05-2022, 03:45 PM   #1
Yangorang
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

TPMS Battery Lifespan?

So I've had my 2008 BMW 328xi (no iDrive) for over 14 years now....and I've never replaced the TPMS sensors and they've never had a problem. Most other vehicles I've seen with true TPMS sensors you can actually view the psi for each wheel, but on mine I cannot. Does my vehicle just use the earlier version of sensing with just wheel speed sensors? From what I hear it seems uncanny for a TPMS battery to have lasted this long.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 12:36 AM   #2
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yangorang View Post
So I've had my 2008 BMW 328xi (no iDrive) for over 14 years now....and I've never replaced the TPMS sensors and they've never had a problem. Most other vehicles I've seen with true TPMS sensors you can actually view the psi for each wheel, but on mine I cannot. Does my vehicle just use the earlier version of sensing with just wheel speed sensors? From what I hear it seems uncanny for a TPMS battery to have lasted this long.
The TPMS battery life has more to do with mileage than age.
It uses battery when wheel is spinning only.
Some stats here

E9X had seen 3 versions of tire pressure monitoring
1) FTM: sensor-less - uses wheel speed sensor instead of actual TPMS. No battery to go bad
2) TPMS v1 - an actual TPMS sensor fitted in inside the wheel/tire
3) TPMS v2 - similar to v1 but not interchangeable

The BMW CIC does not provide software option to display tire pressure.
Actual values are being reported by TMPS sensor(s).
      08-23-2022, 02:00 PM   #3
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

If your car us U.S. spec, it uses TPMS sensors with batteries, they just have a really long lifespan. I've never seen them run dead in an e90 but 15 years or so is probably reasonable so Im sure it does happen
Appreciate 0