E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > B12 Kit vs Koni Orange vs Koni FSD e90

07-29-2022, 02:14 PM   #1
danyilvsr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M Sport

B12 Kit vs Koni Orange vs Koni FSD e90

New to the forum!
Just picked up my DD 2011 e90 m sport with 85k miles on it. I live in chicagoland area and I started noticing how bad the roads are here. I cringe while going over the bumps and potholes. Local roads are basically made of patches of 100 different colors of grey.

Upgrades:

1st: Summer tires (Indy 500)
Result: Way softer and grips like a beast where I noticed that my suspension setup can't really keep up with tires performing abilities.

2nd: Suspension (IN PROGRESS - NEED HELP)
I'm mostly considering B12 Kit vs Koni Orange (any springs) vs Koni FSD (m sport springs)

Could you guys:
- drop your suspension setup for the chicago like city roads?
- let me know if I could test out your setup behind the wheel, I'd really appreciate it!

I have been reading up forums for a week now, but it's hard to commit to purchasing one or another without knowing what they are like in real life on the patched up city roads.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 11:23 AM   #2
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Chicago streets are smooth as silk compared to Northeastern Pennsylvania roads.
Koni's = you prefer comfort, better handling than OE
Bilstein's = prefer improved handling, durability, and sportiness
TLR;
My experience: Several years ago, I completely overhauled my front & rear suspension including Koni dampers in May . I was astonished at Koni's ability to simultaneously improve both ride comfort & performance handling.
Unfortunately, All four Koni dampers required replacement the following March. Fortunately, the vendor refunded my money (under warranty) and I purchased & installed Bilstein front & rear dampers.
Bilstein dampers drastically improved handling compared to the Koni dampers without a significant increase in NVH or significant decrease in comfort.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 01:17 PM   #3
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I had Koni oranges on my previous car with Tein S tech springs and the ride was excellent. I currently have KW street comforts and the Konis/Teins were more comfortable.

I'd go with the Konis for bad roads.
Appreciate 0