E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Changing cruise control speed display from km/h to mph

06-07-2022, 12:49 AM   #1
N22YF
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Convertible, 2020 MX-5

Changing cruise control speed display from km/h to mph

Hello! Does anyone know how to change the cruise control speed display from km/h to mph? There's a thread on changing from km/h to mph here, but doing the reverse doesn't seem to apply to a car that was originally in km/h: when I used NCS Expert to pull the M3DSC module configuration, it didn't have the two parameters mentioned there (C0C_V_EINHEIT and C0C_SETZ_V_MAX). I have a 2013 E93 M3 with navigation. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 03:13 PM   #2
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by N22YF View Post
Hello! Does anyone know how to change the cruise control speed display from km/h to mph? There's a thread on changing from km/h to mph here, but doing the reverse doesn't seem to apply to a car that was originally in km/h: when I used NCS Expert to pull the M3DSC module configuration, it didn't have the two parameters mentioned there (C0C_V_EINHEIT and C0C_SETZ_V_MAX). I have a 2013 E93 M3 with navigation. Thanks!
Did you search for just V_EINHEIT. It might or might not have characters before or after it.

The other things you might try would be;

a) update the DSC with WinKFP; it might change your coding version that NCSExpert select to one that has the V_EINHEIT parameter

b) Look at your VO - there might be something in there specifying your vehicle as Canadian or EU. Come to think of it, no US car would ever have anything coded as km so someone must have changed it. Unless you are really not in San Francisco

Last edited by dpaul; 06-07-2022 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 03:43 PM   #3
N22YF
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Come to think of it, no US car would ever have anything coded as km so someone must have changed it. Unless you are really not in San Francisco
Thank you! I am really in San Francisco but I imported the car from Canada, and IIRC the Canadian model spec was indeed listed in the VO. I thought about removing that but wasn't sure if it that would be a good move?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 03:55 PM   #4
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Thank you! I am really in San Francisco but I imported the car from Canada, and IIRC the Canadian model spec was indeed listed in the VO. I thought about removing that but wasn't sure if it that would be a good move?
Won't hurt anything. No idea what the US spec code is! Remember after you change the VO and save it to both CAS and NFRM, you have to default code any module that thinks in km. So that would be at least DSC, DME and KOMBI. Not sure which others might want it.

Edit: actually think the US code might be $853
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 06:19 PM   #5
sam9116
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: ​

This might sound stupid, but before you code this. Have you tried changing the unit settings directly in the radio?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 10:23 PM   #6
N22YF
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Won't hurt anything. No idea what the US spec code is! Remember after you change the VO and save it to both CAS and NFRM, you have to default code any module that thinks in km. So that would be at least DSC, DME and KOMBI. Not sure which others might want it.

Edit: actually think the US code might be $853
Thank you! Looking on mdecoder.com, my VIN lists option codes S838 "National Version Canada" and S853 "Language Version, English". Comparing to an American 2013 M3, there doesn't seem to be an additional US spec code that I don't have, so maybe just removing the Canadian spec code would work? I'll try it! 🤞 And I also have S548 "Kilometre Speedo" - could that be affecting such things as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam9116 View Post
This might sound stupid, but before you code this. Have you tried changing the unit settings directly in the radio?
Thanks, yeah that was indeed the first thing I tried! Unfortunately that has no effect on the cruise control behavior/display 🙁
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 11:43 PM   #7
N22YF
United_States
Rep

Hm well I decided to take it to a top local independent BMW mechanic to see what they could do, and after a few hours of trial and error (racking up the labor bill), they concluded that this km/h setting is hard-coded into the cluster. Afterwards, I ran across this post, which suggests the same thing to me. So maybe if I could get an EEPROM read from a similar cluster that's already in mph, reset the VIN and mileage, and flash it to my cluster's EEPROM, I'd be all set?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 05:24 PM   #8
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Hm well I decided to take it to a top local independent BMW mechanic to see what they could do, and after a few hours of trial and error (racking up the labor bill), they concluded that this km/h setting is hard-coded into the cluster. Afterwards, I ran across this post, which suggests the same thing to me. So maybe if I could get an EEPROM read from a similar cluster that's already in mph, reset the VIN and mileage, and flash it to my cluster's EEPROM, I'd be all set?
Remove $838 and $548 from the VO in the CAS and NFRM and default code the KOMBI. It's not hard coded, I change them back and forth all the time with NCS Expert and Perfekt Toolbox