E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vrsf inlets n54

09-18-2022, 09:22 PM   #1
Andrew_bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Hello everyone I'm not bashing any brand I love vrsf but I have an issue with my inlets there's absolutely no room and I just noticed yesterday that the front one is rubbing against the pulley and has been so I just wanted to see if there's other brands such as bms or mmp or rb inlets that are a better fit or possibly smaller in that area? I tried zip ties and even squeezing it and using zip ties but come to find out there's already a hole from the pulley so looks like I need new ones.
      09-19-2022, 06:28 AM   #2
jadams161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i. 2011 E90 328xi

Its not the brand, they are all very tight in front. Get the really large zip ties from harbor freight and zip tie the inlet to the fan and charge pipe to pull it away from the pulley. Simple fix.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 08:16 AM   #3
Andrew_bmw
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams161 View Post
Its not the brand, they are all very tight in front. Get the really large zip ties from harbor freight and zip tie the inlet to the fan and charge pipe to pull it away from the pulley. Simple fix.
I zip tied it to the fan shroud right but I have an aluminum radiator so I think that's maybe why it's such a tight fit and is still pretty much rubbing I mean I wanted to try and possibly cut it where the pulleys are and put an aluminum pipe between there since the pulleys already cut up the front inlet.
      09-21-2022, 10:01 AM   #4
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
It's the brand, I had the VRSF and had the same issue. You can try to shave down the fan shroud to create a little bit more space, or alternatively switch to RB's. I replaced mine with RB's, they are a bit flatter/skinnier and route better in the places where it's needed. I no longer have rubbing issues. But to be fair, the pully never fully rubbed all the way through the VRSF inlet on mine, it had 8k miles before I replaced it.
Appreciate 3
      09-23-2022, 12:25 PM   #5
jadams161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i. 2011 E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_bmw View Post
I zip tied it to the fan shroud right but I have an aluminum radiator so I think that's maybe why it's such a tight fit and is still pretty much rubbing I mean I wanted to try and possibly cut it where the pulleys are and put an aluminum pipe between there since the pulleys already cut up the front inlet.

You are correct. The radiator is bigger and pushes all silicone inlets into the pulley. Not sure what the best solution is. It is a really tight fit
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 12:23 PM   #6
Andrew_bmw
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post
Quote:
It's the brand, I had the VRSF and had the same issue. You can try to shave down the fan shroud to create a little bit more space, or alternatively switch to RB's. I replaced mine with RB's, they are a bit flatter/skinnier and route better in the places where it's needed. I no longer have rubbing issues. But to be fair, the pully never fully rubbed all the way through the VRSF inlet on mine, it had 8k miles before I replaced it.
I've tried absolutely everything but I might just have to get the rb inlets and give them a try, my rear inlet is definitely going to stay as the vrsf and it's a pain in the butt to do but it's just the front inlet is gone and has to be replaced which is causing a huge boost leak
      09-24-2022, 12:25 PM   #7
Andrew_bmw
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_bmw View Post

You are correct. The radiator is bigger and pushes all silicone inlets into the pulley. Not sure what the best solution is. It is a really tight fit
I think I'm going to try to cut that section where it's close to the pulleys and connect an aluminum pipe and just hope for the best or buy new inlets unfortunately since it caused a hole already.
      10-04-2022, 09:23 AM   #8
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Andrew_bmw The aluminum pipe could be a fix and maybe gives you a strong/flexible section to "reshape" around the pulleys? Depends on the clamps used to connect the other pieces.
The RB is probably the easier option. Less work.
Appreciate 0