E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > (HELP) Lawn Mower sound on N54 335i

11-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
Kevisoft
Private
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335I

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
(HELP) Lawn Mower sound on N54 335i

Hello everyone!

I seem to be having a huge problem with my BMW 335i. If anyone can chime in on what it could possibly be that would be great. After installing cat less down pipes on my car I encountered a new problem THAT has got to be the most annoying thing I have ever had to deal with. Basically, in short, the car sounds like a lawn mower. That's the best way I can explain it. It tends to go away at higher RPMS but for the most part (especially rolling the car into 1st gear) the car literally sounds like a lawn mower. I sourced the problem coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. I have already checked the following:

- V Clamps on the turbos
- down-pipe fitment (the downpipes aren't touching anything. I even checked the heat shields.)
- waste-gate rattle (its definately not this. Although my turbos are suffering from this you can distinctively hear the difference between both as I am driving.)

If there is anything else I should be checking please let me know. It is extremely embarrassing to be driving around like this. Thank you.
      11-13-2017, 07:32 PM   #2
dapz325
Roller coaster operator
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

First thing I thought of was the o2 senors might of been damaged or swapped but it sounds like a rubbing issue. I had to play with some fitments to make sure nothing was rubbing. Run you hands all around them . My personal set was a little off so got them in the best spot but the end where they connect to the mid pipe would touch. I folded up some fabric heat wrap a few times an wedged it between them. Worked perfectly ,no more rubbing . I recently removed them and the heat wrap has held up for 20,000 miles.
      11-13-2017, 08:33 PM   #3
Kevisoft
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapz325 View Post
First thing I thought of was the o2 senors might of been damaged or swapped but it sounds like a rubbing issue. I had to play with some fitments to make sure nothing was rubbing. Run you hands all around them . My personal set was a little off so got them in the best spot but the end where they connect to the mid pipe would touch. I folded up some fabric heat wrap a few times an wedged it between them. Worked perfectly ,no more rubbing . I recently removed them and the heat wrap has held up for 20,000 miles.
Could damaged/swapped O2 sensors potentially cause this?

Also if you think heat wrapping them will stop the noise please let me know because I'd get that done as soon as tomorrow.
      11-13-2017, 08:40 PM   #4
dapz325
Roller coaster operator
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

swapped o2 would give you a rough idle and make it drive horribly. You make it seem like its not the engine so i would check for any rubbing. If your downpipes are touching by the exhaust side the fabric heat wrap will for sure take care of it .
      05-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
alexristainoN54
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevisoft View Post
Hello everyone!

I seem to be having a huge problem with my BMW 335i. If anyone can chime in on what it could possibly be that would be great. After installing cat less down pipes on my car I encountered a new problem THAT has got to be the most annoying thing I have ever had to deal with. Basically, in short, the car sounds like a lawn mower. That's the best way I can explain it. It tends to go away at higher RPMS but for the most part (especially rolling the car into 1st gear) the car literally sounds like a lawn mower. I sourced the problem coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. I have already checked the following:

- V Clamps on the turbos
- down-pipe fitment (the downpipes aren't touching anything. I even checked the heat shields.)
- waste-gate rattle (its definately not this. Although my turbos are suffering from this you can distinctively hear the difference between both as I am driving.)

If there is anything else I should be checking please let me know. It is extremely embarrassing to be driving around like this. Thank you.
did you ever figure this out? having the same issue
Fuel-it stage 2 lpfp
XHP stage 3
Bilstein b12
m3 arms
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 04:52 PM   #6
Kevisoft
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexristainoN54 View Post
I fixed the issue a while ago, but I remember taking a good look at my down-pipes and noticing that there was a small burn mark going across the rear turbo downpipe. I ended up using a hammer to dent in the part that was making contact with the frame of my car (terrible, I know), and I also used Permatex® High-Temp Silicone Gasket Maker to completely seal up the gaskets that connect the downpipes to the turbos. I also triple-checked the position of the v-band clamps to make sure they were exactly how they needed to be.

Every situation is different though. These are the steps that I took to fix my issue.
      06-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #7
alexristainoN54
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevisoft View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexristainoN54 View Post
I fixed the issue a while ago, but I remember taking a good look at my down-pipes and noticing that there was a small burn mark going across the rear turbo downpipe. I ended up using a hammer to dent in the part that was making contact with the frame of my car (terrible, I know), and I also used Permatex® High-Temp Silicone Gasket Maker to completely seal up the gaskets that connect the downpipes to the turbos. I also triple-checked the position of the v-band clamps to make sure they were exactly how they needed to be.

Every situation is different though. These are the steps that I took to fix my issue.
Had a bad gasket on the cat back. fixed it and sounds great. thanks for the reply.
Fuel-it stage 2 lpfp
XHP stage 3
Bilstein b12
m3 arms
Appreciate 0