E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bypassing CCV

08-28-2022, 03:23 PM   #1
Peter_Griffin_Gaming
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i ZSP 6MT

Bypassing CCV

The integrated CCV valve on my '07 328i failed, and I admittedly bit off more than I could chew by attempting to replace it with an aftermarket valve. However, once I removed the old part, I lost the spring that regulates the diaphragm, so as of now the car has no CCV valve at all, and AFAIK the car is not movable until the valve cover is replaced (I can't find that regulating spring available anywhere).
This leads me to have 2 questions:
1)Can I drive the car temporarily without any CCV valve installed (eg. possibly to take it to someone competent to replace the valve cover)?
2)Is there any way to bypass this system? (A catch can seems to bypass at least part of it, but I don't know if I could get away with having no CCV valve at all.)

For clarification, here's a picture of the area where the CCV once resided (in the background of the image). You can see that there is no CCV installed at all as of now, not even a broken valve. https://flic.kr/p/2nHaa25

Thanks for any and all help.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 06:20 PM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

the N52 doesn't have any crankcase vacuum, so you could try running without it, but I'd expect you'll burn and or leak a lot more oil.

the solution here is to buy a new valve cover because it's built in, and the valve cover is probably either already cracked or will crack soon enough that trying to repair the built in CCV is a waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 06:50 PM   #3
Peter_Griffin_Gaming
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i ZSP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
the N52 doesn't have any crankcase vacuum, so you could try running without it, but I'd expect you'll burn and or leak a lot more oil.

the solution here is to buy a new valve cover because it's built in, and the valve cover is probably either already cracked or will crack soon enough that trying to repair the built in CCV is a waste of time.
Got it, thanks for the insight. I don't plan on running without CCV (unless there is some other bypass that won't cause oil leakage) any longer than it would take me to get the car to an auctual mechanic, if I go that route for replacement.
Appreciate 0