E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 12v reversing power source

12-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #23
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverrsxxx View Post
FINALLY, it works perfectly with no static/interference at all.

I did however run into one little hicup, the relay would click super loud non-stop when I put the car into reverse, it got so loud that it just did not sound normal.

Exchanged it for a new one and voila! Must have been a defective relay
Mine is all set after rewiring with the relay as well
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #24
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Anyone know if I can tap into the reverse lamp wire in the fuse box? I've also heard that there is a switch near the shifter somewhere (manual transmission) - is that true?

I'd hate to run a wire all the way from the center stack area to the rear of the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 02:17 AM   #25
Mrhoe
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Is it possible????

Does anyone know if it's possible to wire the reverse camera into the reverse parking sensors (rather then reverse lights) so that it always operates when the sensors are used rather then only in reverse gear? Since the reverse lights are not activated when just pressing the parking distance control button in the car I'm assuming the camera also will not be activated in this case.. or am I wrong?..... I ultimately want to manually turn on the reverse camera using the PDC button as well as it automatically turning on when reversing...

Any help would be appreciated.....
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #26
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 330e (F30)

Using a standard automotive relay is correct, but it shouldn’t be used as a fuse. Therefore restricting the amperage won’t help. Wire an in-line fuse between the relay and the camera instead.

EDIT: Just realized I responded to an 8 year old message. Feel free to ignore, but it’ll leave it here since no one said this to the OP.

In regards to the PDC question, the TRSVC unit sends a signal via CANBUS. The only way I know to tap into that signal is to use an MMI, or aftermarket headunit designed for BMW (e.g. Eonon) if you don’t have iDrive. If you do have iDrive, use a $3AG emulator instead.

EDIT: You could also wire in a second relay to a manual switch and a constant 12v+. Then use that switch to turn on the camera.

Last edited by FaxData; 10-13-2019 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #27
Mrhoe
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaxData View Post
Using a standard automotive relay is correct, but it shouldn't be used as a fuse. Therefore restricting the amperage won't help. Wire an in-line fuse between the relay and the camera instead.

EDIT: Just realized I responded to an 8 year old message. Feel free to ignore, but it'll leave it here since no one said this to the OP.

In regards to the PDC question, the TRSVC unit sends a signal via CANBUS. The only way I know to tap into that signal is to use an MMI, or aftermarket headunit designed for BMW (e.g. Eonon) if you don't have iDrive. If you do have iDrive, use a $3AG emulator instead.

EDIT: You could also wire in a second relay to a manual switch and a constant 12v+. Then use that switch to turn on the camera.
First of all thanks for responding... (I've asked other questions and they never get answered). Sorry but what is an MMI? Also do you know if there is a line/wire from the back of the pdc button on the front controls that could be tapped into and used as a trigger for the reverse camera?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #28
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhoe View Post
First of all thanks for responding... (I've asked other questions and they never get answered). Sorry but what is an MMI? Also do you know if there is a line/wire from the back of the pdc button on the front controls that could be tapped into and used as a trigger for the reverse camera?
An MMI is a multimedia interface, which sits between the iDrive headunit and the screen; it takes over when it receives a reverse signal from CANBUS.

To my knowledge, there's no easy way to tap into this signal as it is coming directly from the automatic transmission. The PDC unit just responds to it. Also, the button is not wired to the PDC, it is connected to the IHKA (climate control panel) where the signal is passed to CANBUS.

What exactly are you trying to achieve, and what is the current setup of your car? Do you have MT or AT, PDC or no, iDrive or no? Do you already have a rear view camera, and was it factory-installed?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:33 PM   #29
Mrhoe
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
An MMI is a multimedia interface, which sits between the iDrive headunit and the screen; it takes over when it receives a reverse signal from CANBUS.

To my knowledge, there's no easy way to tap into this signal as it is coming directly from the automatic transmission. The PDC unit just responds to it. Also, the button is not wired to the PDC, it is connected to the IHKA (climate control panel) where the signal is passed to CANBUS.

What exactly are you trying to achieve, and what is the current setup of your car? Do you have MT or AT, PDC or no, iDrive or no? Do you already have a rear view camera, and was it factory-installed?

I have a 2006 335i e92 AT with paddle retrofit, oem PDC front and rear but no reverse camera. I've just installed a new android unit so am in the process of installing all the components i.e. reverse camera, dvr etc.

I want to be able to manually select the reverse camera with the PDC button as well as it automatically engaging when in reverse gear like normal.

Use example: if someone was tail gating you, you could turn the reverse camera on whilst moving and be able to get the license plate no. (I no not the best example to use but should give you the idea)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #30
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I have a 2006 335i e92 AT with paddle retrofit, oem PDC front and rear but no reverse camera. I've just installed a new android unit so am in the process of installing all the components i.e. reverse camera, dvr etc.

I want to be able to manually select the reverse camera with the PDC button as well as it automatically engaging when in reverse gear like normal.

Use example: if someone was tail gating you, you could turn the reverse camera on whilst moving and be able to get the license plate no. (I no not the best example to use but should give you the idea)
Ok, I understand. Yes, you should be able to do this, depending on the headunit you picked. (Disclaimer: Obviously using the camera while driving forward is potentially dangerous! Do at your own risk and please be careful...) Most aftermarket headunits have two ways to activate the rear camera:

1. Via CANBUS signal - this is how you would normal choose to activate the camera, since your car produces the necessary signal

2. Via the reverse light - this option is for MT cars without PDC since such cars don't have the CANBUS signal. You need to choose this option.

So you bypass your PDC entirely, and put in an automotive relay that is activated by your rear light. You connect the activating wires between the the rear light 12v and ground; the rear light signal can either be tapped at the light itself or at the FRM module. The relay would then connect the 12v going into the headunit with the activating lead in the headunit. (Relay pins: pin 86 - rear light power, pin 85 - ground, pin 30 - headunit 12v+, pin 87 - activating wire)

Next, you would wire a momentary SPST switch (button) in parallel to the headunit 12v+ and the activating wire. You could connect the two sides of the switch at the relay to pin 30 and pin 87, which would be electrically equivalent.

(The camera itself should receive power from the headunit so it's turned on and off by the headunit.)

Make sure to set the headunit to detect the reverse signal from the light instead of from the CANBUS in the settings menu. Now when you're in reverse, the relay activates the camera. If you push down the button you wired in, it will also momentarily activate the camera by fooling the headunit into thinking the reverse light is on.

Last edited by FaxData; 10-26-2019 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 05:35 PM   #31
Mrhoe
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ok, I understand. Yes, you should be able to do this, depending on the headunit you picked. (Disclaimer: Obviously using the camera while driving forward is potentially dangerous! Do at your own risk and please be careful...) Most aftermarket headunits have two ways to activate the rear camera:

1. Via CANBUS signal - this is how you would normal choose to activate the camera, since your car produces the necessary signal

2. Via the reverse light - this option is for MT cars without PDC since such cars don't have the CANBUS signal. You need to choose this option.

So you bypass your PDC entirely, and put in an automotive relay that is activated by your rear light. You connect the activating wires between the the rear light 12v and ground; the rear light signal can either be tapped at the light itself or at the FRM module. The relay would then connect the 12v going into the headunit with the activating lead in the headunit. (Relay pins: pin 86 - rear light power, pin 85 - ground, pin 30 - headunit 12v+, pin 87 - activating wire)

Next, you would wire a momentary SPST switch (button) in parallel to the headunit 12v+ and the activating wire. You could connect the two sides of the switch at the relay to pin 30 and pin 87, which would be electrically equivalent.

(The camera itself should receive power from the headunit so it's turned on and off by the headunit.)

Make sure to set the headunit to detect the reverse signal from the light instead of from the CANBUS in the settings menu. Now when you're in reverse, the relay activates the camera. If you push down the button you wired in, it will also momentarily activate the camera by fooling the headunit into thinking the reverse light is on.

First of all THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME AND EFFORT....

I am curious why you noted that I needed to choose option 2 when I have the exact opposite being an AT with PDC and Canbus signals?

This is interesting as all the other forums on this topic say to install the relay between the battery and reverse camera because the camera doesn't receive a stable power source from the reverse light and won't work or properly.

So with the relay pins pin 30 they say to tap your 12v battery in the back to get constant power whereas your saying to tap the head unit 12v at the front so I'm a bit lost at this point.

I know you've done a lot already but is there any way you could draw up a quick diagram showing all these connections as maybe a visual aid will make things a lot clearer for my pathetic brain to comprehend...?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 06:27 PM   #32
Mrhoe
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but what your ultimately suggesting is that I add another manual on/off switch to operate the reverse camera whilst moving?

By doing this way and bypassing the pdc wouldn't only the camera be activated when pressing the switch instead of both camera and sensors at the same time like when reversing?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 07:47 PM   #33
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

With the wiring I've suggested, only the camera comes on when you press the button. Putting your car in reverse, however, will turn on both the camera and the rear PDC. I can draw a diagram when I'm at a PC (on my phone at the moment).

Do you want to be able to activate rear PDC while driving forward? I honestly don't think there's a way to achieve that, due to the complexity of the problem (PDC is activated in several modules as a response to a signal from the transmission). Some folks have figured out how to grab and replicate signals across the CANBUS using an arduino, but I'd have to imagine that sending a reverse gear signal to every single module in the car while driving forward would at the very least throw some errors... I'm curious as to the utility as well.

You shouldn't need to wire the camera power to the battery, since aftermarket headunits (as well as the CIC btw) have a power source specifically for the rear camera. But if you'd like to share the manual for your head unit, I can take a look.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 05:58 PM   #34
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

A diagram of how I would wire your system is attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 03:58 PM   #35
frankhic1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i coupe

Relay connected to the reverse camera

Hi
I'm having kind of the same issue I had an emulator and a trunk camera install and it will turn on the first few seconds and then I get a blinking black screen. I have been researching and it appears to be needing a 12v relay connecting the camera to battery. Anyone knows a bit more?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 02:57 PM   #36
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhic1 View Post
Hi
I'm having kind of the same issue I had an emulator and a trunk camera install and it will turn on the first few seconds and then I get a blinking black screen. I have been researching and it appears to be needing a 12v relay connecting the camera to battery. Anyone knows a bit more?
Sure, grab a simple relay and wire it in. 12 source is your battery, trigger is the blue/black from the INNER tail light (With the reverse bulb), ground is ground, output goes to the camera.
      04-11-2024, 07:55 PM   #37
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Do you know if there is an option somewhere to turn on the CANBUS signal for MT cars without PDC?

This would eliminate the need for a relay wired to the reverse light and make for a cleaner install.

I doubt it would be the PDC broadcasting reverse over canbus instead it would be the pdc module using that canbus reverse message to turn on the pdc.

I'll search CAS and KOMBI to see if I find anything.
I dont think MT has a module that can be coded right?
Appreciate 0