E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Audio Table of Contents: Upgrading? Start HERE!

05-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #265
RunFlatOut
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 330d coupe

First word that spring to here is grounding. I'm noob in that I have yet to decide on a final scheme. Good time to goodle MiniDSP.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 11:33 AM   #266
RunFlatOut
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 330d coupe

There's a pretty solid thing to be done with augmenting the overall width of wire from the main battery, but again that's one for Groodle.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 11:50 PM   #267
jedi-knight83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 430d GC, XKR, Clio 172

Fantastic post. Just buying a 330d tomorrow so this will come in handy.

Can you get those custom made adapter harnesses in the uk?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #268
zibercat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Barriquerot Metallic

Mid-bass or bass replacement speakers

Hi there, interesting post, thank you for all the information. This morning while commuting to work the speaker under the passenger began rattling. I wasn't thinking in upgrading my speakers but know I need to, starting with the ones under the seat. I want something better than factory but not top of the line. Also something more like PlugNPlay. My radio codes are 645, 663 (professional) and 676 (Hi-Fi). Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated...

Last edited by zibercat; 06-23-2017 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: Duplicated info.....
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #269
smacame
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

I got Technic's harness for the stock Hi-Fi stuff and it made the install of a new amplifier a breeze. This thread was extremely informative, thanks for the community knowledge!

FWIW I didn't think to Google around for Technic's online shop, if anyone else is stupid like me it's here: https://technicpnp.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 01:10 PM   #270
Keith_H1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i

Base under seat sub question

For starters, I have already looked at the majority of these three ads for this answer, and can't find it. I learned today that I do not have a simple bold in undersea sub woofer for my E 91 with the base audio system. The damn thing is glued into the enclosure. From the pictures I've seen from some of the installs on here, I can see where they have been separated and can see the residual glue on the stock sub woofer, but my question is, how do you separate the two without ruining the enclosure? I swear I have looked all over for this answer before asking the question, but I can't find it. As of this moment I am trying to figure it out on my own, but hopefully someone will be able to offer a little bit of advice on this. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #271
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

How can I get in touch with Technic to order a Plug PnP harness and custom Navone LOC with remote out to 6-pin connector? Seems you can no longer PM that individual and they haven't logged on in almost 3 months. Anyone been able to call them or email them or know of an alternative way of getting a hold of these parts like through a company/website?

I have an e93 with Harman Kardon and looking to do what this individual did here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581166

thanks.
      06-07-2018, 01:33 AM   #272
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

He has his own website now

https://technicpnp.com/
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 07:59 AM   #273
Rain
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 LCI 30e

Hey guys,

I just wanted to confirm something.

My car is E92 12.2006 Europe version with standard music (no tweeters) and CC professional navigation.

I just upgraded my speakers with Match ones -> front doors https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...s/ms-42c-bmw.1 (added twitters as well + crossovers)
Rear doors -> https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...rs/ms-4x-bmw.1
Subwoofers (actually still waiting on them but should be on the car soon) -> https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...kers/mw-8bmw-d
And their amplifier for that setup -> https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...lifiers/m-5dsp

Sound is already improved but from what I get as a info for the car audio shop (and from the forum here) its not the best and get a lot of distortion on higher sound levels due to the head unit. I guess I need to re-code it to HiFi in order to fix this.

So my question is will this affect my rear speakers? What about the sound of my park distance sensors?

And is this all I need to re-code it:

Quote:
Plug in cable to OBD port and selected usb port
Run NCSexpert
Click "file" and select "load profile" and select "expertmode"
Click "VIN/ZCS/FA
Click "ZCS/FA f. ECU
Select chassis type "e89"
On choose ECU select "CAS"
After your vin is shown select "enter FA"
Select chassis type "e89"
Ensure VIN shown is correct and select "OK"
Enter $676 and then select "add"
Then scroll down and select "£676" and select "OK" (this step is to ensure the vehicle option (VO) has correctly been applied.)
Then select "Back button"
Then select "F4 Process ECU"
Then select from drop down list "CAS"
Then select "F2 Change Job"
Then select "FA_WRITE" and click "OK"
Ensure CAS is shown on "Get Coded" and FA_WRITE shown on "JOB NAME"
Select "F3 Execute Job"

The procedure need to be apply on both CAS and FRM modules !

Once done, don't forget to "SG_CODIEREN" on the modules
CHOST
CAPPL
CGATE
CAUDI
CTUNE

You need to wait yhe car to go into sleep mode before settings to take effect.
I also recently upgraded my mulf module to mulf 2 high in order to have USB stick support. This will be unaffected, right?

Sorry for bringing old topic but did not manage to find full step by step guide

UPDATE:
I actually went impatient and we did the coding with a friend of mine. Its working on hi-fi now (at least as far as my ears and speakers can say - not sure if visually we can check that other than reading it with ncsexpert???).

What I may suggest to the guys who are about to do that is to make backups! If you just add £676 to the VO it will mess other options as well which you probably will want to revert back (e.g. it totally disabled my bluetooth phone).

The rear parktronic sensors sounds not that bad (quieter than the front ones but I can live with that).

The main issue now (I have added Mulf 2 High a week ago like I said previously but even before that my car originally had bluetooth phone) is my volume during calls is quiet and I can increase it up to some point which for me is not loud enough especially if you drive on a highway.

What coding can we do in order to increase the volume during calls and eventually on the rear parktronic sensors? Thanks in advance and for the previous info as well

Last edited by Rain; 06-28-2018 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #274
Danger-Zone
Mmmm3
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post

The frequent posters on this board have posted answers to the same questions over and over again. Follow this thread to avoid the repeat questions and find links to some of the answers. Note: this thread is organized thematically and hot linking is maximized; therefore you may see links to a particular thread appear more than once.
  1. Don't cut any wires!

Just about any modification can be completely reversible; there are a number of solutions:

For more harness info: see below
  2. Figure out the system with which you are starting

There are 4, yes FOUR different levels audio systems in any E9x vehicle, with variations on each depending on the "brain" of the system.

Audio System Overview from BMW TIS

See: E9X audio systems defined.
    • Base/Stereo: 4 Mids + 2 underseats, no amp - Hint: look inboard of the mirrors at the A pillar...solid plastic instead of tweeters? --> Base
    • HiFi (Option 676): 4 mids, 2 underseats, 2 or 4 tweeters, analog amp<--EASIEST TO UPGRADE Hint: look inboard of the mirrors at the A pillar...tweeters? Yes & Center speaker in Dash: No? --> HiFi
    • Top Hifi/Logic 7 (Option 677)/Harman Kardon (Option 688): ~13 speakers, plus digital amp Hint: look inboard of the mirrors at the A pillar...tweeters? Yes & Center speaker in Dash: Yes? -->Top HiFi
    • Enhanced Premium Sound / Individual Audio (Option 752) (Brochure): ~16 speakers, digital amp Hint: look inboard of the mirrors at the A pillar...tweeters? Yes & Center speaker in Dash: Yes? AND See through speaker grilles with yellow speaker cones --> Individual Audio

Due to the presence of analog, low-level, flat, balanced outputs, the HiFi option is the easiest to upgrade. If you have any of the others, you may be able to recode to HiFi
    Note: Within each, there are varying power levels (and in some cases different speakers), depending on the brain of the system:
    • Non I-Drive
      • Business HU (Option 662)
      • Professional HU (Option 663)
    • I-Drive
      • M-ASK (Business Nav)
      • CCC (Early Professional Nav)
      • CIC (Current Professional Nav)
    BUT...the important part is figure out your basic physical (amp+speaker) topology.
  3. Figure out what your goals are.

Your goals may range from adding a little "thump" to a vehicle with the EPS or Logic 7 systems, or to completely gutting the system as frequently happens with the base stereo...or anything in between. Think of what your ultimate goal is (don't jump to I want to add X amp and Y sub), and research options. Often you will find a solution that is different than the one you planned, or decide there is a better way to do what you were thinking. Finally, this gets addictive, so if you think you might end up wanting more in the endgame, consider whether your path will allow you to "spiral" upgrade or if you will get stuck at a certain point, and have to replace components to go any further. To get an idea of what is possible, here is one of the best, most effective, oem friendly upgrades.

If you aren't sure, talk to a competent installer, such as those who contribute on this forum (not one who is going to hack your car up). As a general matter, if someone is suggesting cutting door panels, wiring harnesses, putting in different size speakers...they almost certainly don't know what they are doing. Amazing quality audio can be obtained from BMWs using completely stock locations.
  4. Check out what equipment fits for your car.
  5. See examples of installation.
    Before you start: Installation overview "primer" courtesy of VP Electricity @ Musicar NW
    Link to the rest of the install threads (below)

At the end of the day, if your question isn't answered here, it has been elsewhere.... or better yet Google. Google does a great job of indexing this forum.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 03:45 AM   #275
Markridge
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320d

Helpful post
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 11:13 PM   #276
SJM67
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335I Coupe

Garage List
1995 BMW 318I  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacame View Post
I got Technic's harness for the stock Hi-Fi stuff and it made the install of a new amplifier a breeze. This thread was extremely informative, thanks for the community knowledge!

FWIW I didn't think to Google around for Technic's online shop, if anyone else is stupid like me it's here: https://technicpnp.com/
so...what amp did you end up going with and why?....
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 05:15 PM   #277
Najt
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 325D 2008

Hi,

i dont wanna duplicate my questions... so just wanna ask, if anybody can confirm, its safe use 4ohms SUBS with OEM Individual AMP ? (OEM indiv subs are 6,5ohms)

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1091217&page=2
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 10:26 AM   #278
slugelise
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325D / Lotus Elise S1

Hi, I have a UK spec E91 325D, with the base stereo professional radio system without NAV but with enhanced bluetooth and DAB

644 Prep. For. Mob. Ph. Bluet. Interf. Handy Vorb. Mit Bluetooth-schnitts.
654 Dab Tuner Dab Tuner
663 Radio Bmw Professional Radio Bmw Professional
694 Preparation For Cd Changer Cd-wechsler Vorbereitung
6FL Usb-/audio Interface Usb-audio-schnittstelle.

I understand from reading this thread I can recode the Head unit to output differential RCA to connect to a suitable amp. I happen to have a saab AS3 system from a 2005 9-5 aero, including a 200W harmon kardon amp and speakers that should be suitable.

I'm going to try to rig a wiring harness so I can try it out without actually installing everything in the car.

A couple of questions though

1) BMW says I cant have the alpine hifi kit in my car, because I have the 654 Dab tuner option. Anyone know why that might be and if it will prevent the saab amp working similarly.

2) in terms of cabling, amp in boot so I need to run a multicore with differential line level RCA FL/FR/RL/RR to the boot and then high level speaker outputs back to the dash and reuse the existing speaker wires. Subs will need wiring seperately from the boot, since they are powered from seperate outputs on the harmon kardon, not parallel from the front speakers. Is there a saner way of doing that?

Thanks and sorry for the thread resurrection
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 11:32 AM   #279
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

on number 1 that is the standard place they would put the amp so the space
is already occupied by the DAB . But the Alpine upgrade really isn't that much of an upgrade anyway.

Reccomend the Technicpnp harnesses for conversion.
He makes three or 4 different types just for the Base System
depending on what you want to do .

There are many threads on the base system it one of the most covered topics
here .
Use Advanced search in the main body of this sub-forum plug in "Base System" and limit the search
to this sub forum pages of stuff will come up.

Also this
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...5&d=1493273253

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1835082

Last edited by ctuna; 06-18-2021 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 12:36 PM   #280
slugelise
Rep

Thanks ctuna, hadnt thought of it being a physical space issue rather than an electrical one. Saab mount the amp in the footwell, saving on huge cable runs!

I saved the saab harnesses, so will start with those and try to get the bmw end from a breakers yard.

Will update if I get anywhere. I know its not much of an upgrade, but a) cheap since I have the amp and speakers from a totalled saab and b) the standard hifi is fairly woeful.

Its was only a $3000 dollar car, not really worth dumping $1000+ into a stereo for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 05:16 AM   #281
slugelise
Rep

Ordered one of these, seems to offer all the breakout options anyone could every need.

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/ct10...ptor-lead.html
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 10:01 AM   #282
l8nit3
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328XI

Garage List
Hello e90post, I'm new here and have a few questions.

Having just purchased my 2011 E90 LCI 328XI (non-Idrive, non-CCC) a few days ago, I have ben researching like crazy on fun upgrades I can do (my first 'working' BMW).

I have looked all around at a few different forums, and come up with very similar information all around, however with a few discrepancies that leave me a bit bewildered.

First, VIN for verification (last 7): NN85977

I believe I have the base model radio, however have read that Hi-Fi was pretty much standard after sometime in 2010. I can post any pictures needed of rear doors, center posts, etc.

Now, with all this said, nearly ALL of the information I have found is from 2012-2015. Is this all still the current, correct information?

Is re-locating of the original HU required to maintain all options still?
Is there a more simple Plug-And-Play option? (Like for E65?)

My goal:
I care very little about actually upgrading the speakers/amp, as the sound is nice and clean already. I would love however the usability and modern look of a double din android system with google playstore for navi and tweak app installations(bimmergeeks, torque).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and MODS if this needs to be in its own thread let me know and I will do so.

*EDIT*
I have the base system, so far as I can tell no amp, no rear door speakers, and no A pillar speakers.

Last edited by l8nit3; 08-07-2021 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 12:21 PM   #283
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Everything after 2012 was an F30 not e90

Base system was in the US from 2010 to 2011.5 in place
of Hi Fi and it was pretty common in the Rest of the World
in every year.
Hi Fi in the US was standard up to 2009 and again after 2011.5 but in
the rest of the world base was standard.(The non Hi Fi system)

You need to determine what you have first . No tweeters in
the front door is a big hint for base system but mdecoder.com
will tell you all options. A lack of 676 ( Hi Fi ) or 677, 688(Logic 7)
most likely means you have the base system.

Do a header search for Base system here and hundreds of threads will show up.
The very start of this thread has excellent documentation on this.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 06:39 PM   #284
l8nit3
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328XI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Base system was in the US from 2010 to 2011.5 in place
of Hi Fi and it was pretty common in the Rest of the World
in every year.
Hi Fi in the US was standard up to 2009 and again after 2011.5 but in
the rest of the world base was standard.(The non Hi Fi system)

You need to determine what you have first . No tweeters in
the front door is a big hint for base system but mdecoder.com
will tell you all options. A lack of 676 ( Hi Fi ) or 677, 688(Logic 7)
most likely means you have the base system.

Do a header search for Base system here and hundreds of threads will show up.
The very start of this thread has excellent documentation on this.
Thank you for your reply. By "info from 2012" I mean all posts related to the subject I was able to find dated back to 2012ish. I do understand that the F series followed after my specific model and believe there was a miscommunication there.

As for my question, "Is there a plug-and-play option for E90?"

For anyone looking..... the answer is both yes and no.

Yes, installation-wise, there is a fairly simple to install option that is also cost-effective, and a semi-competent DIY type person can do the install in a night. It is the XTRONS IN9090BL. (There are many others/clones with similar specs under different brands, but they are essentially the same unit)

The steering wheel controls work great, the sound is very clean even at loud volume with no crackle ( as some aftermarkets HU's report), and seems to have a fairly clean look when installed.

As for the "No" part.. the screws supplied were not long enough in any way (as many reviews have complained), there is nowhere to plug in the built-in usb/aux connector, and I have some errors pertaining to no sat tuner, tele, communications and a MOST communications issue.
(Some of these errors likely have nothing to do with the install, details will be in an upcoming thread).

All said , so far I would NOT recommend the unit, simply until I iron out the other issues and their cause.

Will update this post with my findings, and if all works out well, pictures of fully installed unit.

Last edited by l8nit3; 08-16-2021 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 02:41 PM   #285
totalguy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

so much stuff about oem equipment and retrofits but i cant seem to find anything about after market stuff? im fitting a double din to my 2006 e90 i need to know the correct ariel adaptor and the correct iso wiring adaptor (dont need steering controls or anything else)

anyone help me out with some pictures or links?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 12:53 AM   #286
MilesPNZ
Rep
Drives: 2012, E90 320D, LCI

Trying to figure out how to go about upgrading my base system.

Right now I am figuring out the digital signal processer side of the equation.

It looks like the JL Audio Cleansweep has been discontinued though from what I can see. What other options have people been using?
Appreciate 0