E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Another Speaker Upgrade Option

10-05-2018, 10:17 PM   #1
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

Another Speaker Upgrade Option

It looks like they are decent quality and are cheaper than Bavsound.

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/match/speakers/

Does anyone know if I can put midrange speaker (tweeter built in) in Hi-Fi car (separate tweeter)????

They have midrange and separate tweeter option but I don't know how to mess around Crossover thingy. I just want plug and play....
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 10:59 PM   #2
Damaskus325
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328ix sport package

As long as it fits, you should be able to run a coax (tweeter built in) just fine. The OEM signal from the amp is full range anyway. It is split via a crossover on the tweeter inline from the woofer. Just know you will be lowering your sound stage to your knees and angled slightly to the dash. May not sound great.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 11:49 PM   #3
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...s/ms-42c-bmw.1

Is it easy to connect crossover? There are 6 cables that need to be connected to the crossover. I say 2 cables from tweeter and 2 cables from speaker. I am guessing I need power source to that. So 2 cables that was originally connected to the speaker? How about original cables to the tweeter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaskus325 View Post
As long as it fits, you should be able to run a coax (tweeter built in) just fine. The OEM signal from the amp is full range anyway. It is split via a crossover on the tweeter inline from the woofer. Just know you will be lowering your sound stage to your knees and angled slightly to the dash. May not sound great.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 12:32 AM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Wiring is pretty standard for any component speaker set.
One wire pair comes through the door for one channel
goes to the input of the crossover . The crossover has
a tweeter and a speaker output lines. Most crossovers also have
a jumper or switch that allows you to select the amount of
output that goes to the tweeter usually with three setting.
-3db 0db and +3db. For a BMW the most common setting is
-3db.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #5
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe

I have the Match speakers in my 2012 135i: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1534261

There wasn't much improvement running off the stock amp. But they came alive once I upgraded to a Kicker KEY180.4 amp which has Auto EQ and time alignment, and a Kenwood amp for the subs.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #6
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I installed one coax in rear door since one speaker was blown.
I realized tweeter is connected to mid range. I couldn't power tweeter directly from the power source lol
so I just left tweeter unconnected and just installed mid range.
It fits right in.

This speaker is 4 ohm. I believe mid range for Hifi is 2 ohm.

Anyways, I could hear Less Louder sound than stock one in rear door at the same volume. But new speaker had more clarity.
I paid $100 for 2 speakers so it's not a bad option to replace stock speakers.

For front door, I will go with speaker+tweeter option.
I am also going to put Match subwoofer underneath the seat. this one is built for e90 as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #7
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I got Match subwoofer from Ebay and installed it today. Looks like the seller sold me a bad one. So I can't comment on the real sound quality. But even without the defective noise, I don't think this will produce any deep base like stock one.

this thing looks cheap as hell too. It's just made out of thin metal frame and paper.

I realized Stock unit is very heavy, built with high quality materials, sophisticated design (what's clear lens in the middle?)
Too bad, a lot of people toss this out for aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 07:34 AM   #8
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterh View Post
I got Match subwoofer from Ebay and installed it today. Looks like the seller sold me a bad one. So I can't comment on the real sound quality. But even without the defective noise, I don't think this will produce any deep base like stock one.

this thing looks cheap as hell too. It's just made out of thin metal frame and paper.

I realized Stock unit is very heavy, built with high quality materials, sophisticated design (what's clear lens in the middle?)
Too bad, a lot of people toss this out for aftermarket.
So if it was thicker metal, or even steel with something other than paper it would be 'good' ? Extremely meaningless judgement here.

There is Absolutely Nothing sophisticated about the OEM driver and there also zero 'high quality materials' used in it's build.

There is nothing inherently special about the Match woofers but they are also not, in any way, 'below' the OEM ones you currently have. You should really learn a bit about transducers, how they work, how they are designed and built before passing such a judgement.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0