E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Post Your SULEV Warranty Success Stories

07-28-2020, 03:23 PM   #155
Cburch
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
Does your 328 have an N51 engine?
Idk my car is still at the dealer ship but I just confirmation my car is a sulev car. I was hoping the easy answer would be I’m all set and won’t have to pay for the new fuel injectors and spark plugs
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 11:09 AM   #156
213e90n51
Banned
South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i, Honda Civic Hat

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
2019 M4  [0.00]
2019 Honda Civic Ha ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cburch View Post
New guy need help. Just took my bmw 2013 328 xdrive to the dealer l cel was on Turns out I had misfires and they said spark plugs and fuel injectors need to be replaced. Quote is 2400. Think this fits under this sulev Warranty? Car only has 76000 miles on it !
check ur engine bay. Right below the coolant tank should be a secondary air system that looks like a bunch of hoses and octopus.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 06:34 PM   #157
LemansblueMsport
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i E92, 2012 X3 28i

I have a 2013 E92 328i M-sport, and at 58K miles, the bank1 pre-cat 02 sensor was throwing a CEL and was replaced under SULEV warranty. At 60K miles, CEL came on again and this time the bank1 post cat O2 sensor was replaced. SA also mentioned the belt pulley was failing and was replaced.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 05:49 PM   #158
Blackstream56
Registered
Rep
Drives: 78-320i/2011 328i

Footwell Module (FRM) - covered by warranty 10yr/156K

Not sure if this is SULEV specific, but I had the battery replaced and re-coded to the electrical system and the FRM fried at 112K. The specialty BMW shop I use (former BMW mechanics) called the local dealer who indicated, sorry, not covered. That didn't sound right, so he called one about 20 miles away, yep, covered. Recently (apparently) the footwell module (FRM) got an extended limited warranty and was to 10 years/156,000 miles. Even got a free loaner car from the dealer (did not purchase from them, but might the next time).
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 12:38 PM   #159
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cburch View Post
Idk my car is still at the dealer ship but I just confirmation my car is a sulev car. I was hoping the easy answer would be I’m all set and won’t have to pay for the new fuel injectors and spark plugs
Very nice!
      08-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #160
Cburch
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

sadly the fuel injectors arent covered from what i was told as the dealership p.. im not very happy.. dont see how the injectprs would go at 77,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 05:40 PM   #161
NFiftyWon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328 X-Drive

2nd success story:

a) issue diagnosed - clogged primary and secondary cats (causing lean bank code) , took in for cyl 3 misfire caused by faulty coil. They ended up replacing all coils for the higher index.
b) total cost of repair - not sure, probably a lot.
c) if SULEV covered initially or you had to be reimbursed - i worked with the same service advisor as last time and things went smoother this time. initially covered
d) if your dealer gave you a hard time - no.
e) if BMW NA had to be involved - not to my knowledge, just had to be approved by whomever
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 01:34 AM   #162
213e90n51
Banned
South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i, Honda Civic Hat

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
2019 M4  [0.00]
2019 Honda Civic Ha ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstream56 View Post
Not sure if this is SULEV specific, but I had the battery replaced and re-coded to the electrical system and the FRM fried at 112K. The specialty BMW shop I use (former BMW mechanics) called the local dealer who indicated, sorry, not covered. That didn't sound right, so he called one about 20 miles away, yep, covered. Recently (apparently) the footwell module (FRM) got an extended limited warranty and was to 10 years/156,000 miles. Even got a free loaner car from the dealer (did not purchase from them, but might the next time).
wow so what warranty is this? How do u kno the footwell module is going bad?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 03:44 PM   #163
gbastow
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

a) Had a SES light on my dash and took it into BMW Escondido and they diagnosed as faulty O2 sensors. Car is 2011 328i

b) was originally going to be somewhere around 1,500 but with SULEV not a dime.

c) SULEV covered it all.

d) My story, I had an SES light that was on and off for the last few months. I decided to take into the dealership knowing my car was SULEV and the warranty should cover it. I dropped my car off for diagnostics testing and a few hours later the dealership called me back and said it appeared that the O2 sensors were faulty but they were not covered WTF???!!! After I received this call I printed out the warranty stating that the sensors were covered and took this evidence to the dealership. They kept my printed out warranty and said they would call me back tomorrow because they would have to run it by their warranty person in the morning. I received a call the day after stating that the sensors were replaced under warranty. I am not sure why they would think the sensors would not be replaced considering they are one of the main parts of the emission system. I would like to thank Leslie731 I brought in a copy of their post on here and how Irvine took care of their problem hassle free.

e) no I did not contact BMW NA.

here is a link to the warranty I found online, page 13 clearly states sensors are covered:

http://www.e92n55.com/wp-content/upl...o-20160205.pdf

Last edited by gbastow; 08-26-2020 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 02:58 PM   #164
gbastow
United_States
Rep

Back it with another warranty cover

A. Crank case pressure was high which turned out to be faulty valve cover (I would experience a SES light but it would be off and on)
B. Around $1,000 but was covered under warranty, however I did pay $199 for software update usually charge $299 for update.
C. SULEV covered the replacement for the valve cover, when I spoke with my SA he noted that the repair comes as a kit which includes VCG and a few other parts I believe.
D. Interesting story, I originally took my car in for them to run the test and they found valve cover was bad, however they were not able to replace it then and there because my car has a euro airbox on it which technically voids the warranty. I was told if I brought the car back with the stock box they would take care of it. Luckily I found someone selling the box for cheap and picked it up locally. I then picked up my car from the dealer drove it across the street to change the airbox and brought it back and they fixed the valve cover hassle free. For some reason BMW policy is that they can't swap out equipment on your car because I was originally going to drop the box off but my SA informed me their techs are not able to swap that out
E. NA was not contacted.

I went to the same dealership BMW Escondido in San Diego and worked with the same SA as last time which made the process much smoother. If you are in SD and want to use a good dealer I recommend Escondido.
Appreciate 1
E92William1998.00
      11-02-2020, 08:50 AM   #165
pmartinez226
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 2011 328i xDrive

Noticed small oil leak when doing oil change couple months ago. Then had a bunch of smoke when turning heat on. Suspected Valve Cover gasket leak. Dealer diagnosed with leaking VCG as well as ESS leak.

Valve Cover Gasket and Eccentric Shaft Sensor leak

Not sure on cost. $0

Entire repair was covered by SULEV.

BMW Bayside. Advisor was aware of warranty. No issues whatsoever. They did however say OFHG wasn't covered but I had already replaced that on my own.

I did call BMW NA beforehand expecting an issue at dealer. They weren't helpful at all and wouldn't tell me what parts were covered under warranty.

Thank you to everyone on this thread, definitely saved me a good chunk of a money
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #166
gbastow
United_States
Rep

Has anyone been able to get their oil pan covered under warranty? SA noted that mine was leaking and I feel some people have got it covered. Any feedback is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 05:08 PM   #167
Gammicus!
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbastow View Post
Has anyone been able to get their oil pan covered under warranty? SA noted that mine was leaking and I feel some people have got it covered. Any feedback is appreciated!
When I got my valve cover gasket replaced under SULEV warranty, the SA notified me that they suspected an oil pan gasket leak as well. He didn't volunteer whether or not that was covered under SULEV warranty, and I have not seen it in any of the SULEV warranty docs I've come across.

I'd be curious to know if anyone did manage to get it covered though.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 05:13 PM   #168
gbastow
United_States
Rep

Gammicus! I am very curious as well, on page 7 of this thread 213e90n51 made a post talking about how he got it covered. I sent him a pm to see if he could possibly give me some more info. Waiting on his response rn.
Appreciate 1
213e90n51365.50
      11-03-2020, 05:28 PM   #169
Gammicus!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbastow View Post
Gammicus! I am very curious as well, on page 7 of this thread 213e90n51 made a post talking about how he got it covered. I sent him a pm to see if he could possibly give me some more info. Waiting on his response rn.
Nice catch! I had totally missed that. Hopefully he gets back to all of us on this thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 03:54 PM   #170
_des_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Another SULEV question.
I have a 2011 328i n51 engine. The car has a cracked radiator. I live in Alabama and the car was originally a PA car. I took the car to the local BMW dealer and they acted like they have no idea what I'm talking about and that their was no SULEV warranty.
What is my next step? I'm going to contact BMW of north america monday and see what they say. Is the dealership wrong because its in Alabama? or are they just Misinformed?

Is their any type of bulletin that I can show them? All I'm finding are forum posts but Doubt the dealer will honor those.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #171
Gammicus!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _des_ View Post
Another SULEV question.
I have a 2011 328i n51 engine. The car has a cracked radiator. I live in Alabama and the car was originally a PA car. I took the car to the local BMW dealer and they acted like they have no idea what I'm talking about and that their was no SULEV warranty.
What is my next step? I'm going to contact BMW of north america monday and see what they say. Is the dealership wrong because its in Alabama? or are they just Misinformed?

Is their any type of bulletin that I can show them? All I'm finding are forum posts but Doubt the dealer will honor those.
Sorry to hear they're not helping you out. If there are other BMW dealerships nearby I would say your best bet is to try them until you find someone in service that is willing to help you out. Unfortunately it seems to be a crapshoot and entirely dependent on how willing a service person or manager is to help you.

The details of the SULEV warranty are in your car's manual. Also, here's a link to the parts that are covered in the SULEV warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 10:27 PM   #172
MaconPaul
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Convertible 6M

After 2 days of educating a middle Georgia dealer what a SULEV car is and it's warranty they emailed me the attached images. (I'm dealing with them by phone and email only so far). No one there knows about the SULEV warranty. My car was originally sold in New York but is now titled in Georgia. My inquiry started because of a check engine light where I ran a code and it said Mass Air Flow Sensor. The link above says it's covered. My dealer says it's not covered based off the system they use to check warranty coverage. (See my images) Surprised in this 8 page thread no one else has mentioned Mass Air Flow Sensor. Curious what is the source of the link in the reply just before reply because that link spells out Mass Air Flow Sensor covered. I'd like to know the source before I argue with the dealer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 11:07 AM   #173
Jnolane
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328xi

I have a 2008 328xi with 81,000 miles on it. I'm a resident of Washington.. the car Is titled and registered there. I'm performing work in The Pittsburgh, PA area currently. My car started a rough ldle with some misfires and I got a ses light. Took it in to a dealer here and they recommended a new eccentric shaft sensor and new valve cover. They said none of this was covered under the sulev warranty and the estimate came to 2900 dollars. I asked what codes the car produced but they won't tell me. I want to get bmw na involved. I'm positive the coils and plugs are bad and that the the vcg is leaking.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 01:26 PM   #174
MaconPaul
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Convertible 6M

JNOLANE 4 things to consider.
1) is your car a SULEV model with the N51 engine?
You will have a metal plate under the hood if so. The owners manual will tell you what it looks like. If you don't have an owners manual you can download a PDF from the internet.
2) where the car was first sold makes a big difference. Washington is carved out in the owners manual in my 2009 model. I interpret it as 8 years or 100,000 miles for that state.
3) Something I learned down in Georgia this week is that the dealer inputs an answer to this question. Car sold/registered in what state?
When mine is input Georgia it gets no coverage.
When they input New York the 15/150000 popped as covered.
4) one person in this thread re-titled a car to a good state and got coverage. Would you want to consider that? Pennsylvania is a 15/150,000 state in my owners manual. Not sure if that would do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 01:45 PM   #175
Jnolane
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328xi

Yes! My car is an n51 model. I'm not above buying a eccentric shaft sensor and sea kit/ coils and plugs and doing everything myself. Maybe 600 in parts for all of that. Just seems like I could get this done through warranty though. I'm wondering if I can drive to Vermont get it titled there and find a Vermont dealer that could do the work while fitting a ski trip in.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2020, 10:45 PM   #176
stevojudge
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 328i

2011 328i
106,000 Miles

Monrovia Dealership in California

Had 2 issue at different times and both were covered under the SULEV Warranty

1.) Radiator had a Small leak

NO COST
Dealer confirmed it was defective and replaced
No Issues fixed through the Sulev Warranty

When i had my oil changed and spark plugs at a BMW Certified Shop, they noticed the Valve Cover was leaking a little oil so i took my car to the Dealer since the Valve cover gasket was under the SULEV Warranty. When the Dealer did an inspection they notice a vano bolt snapped and was in my oil pan. No damage was done however 3 things got replaced this 2nd trip

2.) Valve Cover Gasket, Vano Bolts and here's the Surprise The Oil Pan gasket

The Dealer told me since the bolt snapped and was in the Oil Pan, they would have to take off the Oil Pan which in turn would have to replace the Gasket. All at no cost

Last edited by stevojudge; 06-14-2021 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 1