E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil in coolant :(

06-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #23
335iNavyGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 N54 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGonz View Post
Just a heads up, but I spoke to a head BMW tech (10+ years experience) and he said the t a common problem for oil in the coolant is that where the turbo oil lines meet the block, it's like an upside-down heart shaped drain, and the actual block fractures and cracks at that middle. Apparently it's a well known problem and the only remedy is a whole new block. Thankfully I'm less than 4,000 miles away from my warranty ending and it is all covered. Whew. But it's easily a $7,000 job when all is said and done. Right now, I'm thinking "GOOD FUCKING SHIT DANIEL" for getting the extended warranty through my Credit Union. Whewwww.
I checked where you said, even used an NDT test method with an ultrasound, no cracks. I've never heard of that even out of all the adds ive read on here..Ironic its a "common" problem i havent seen on here :/ thanks though
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 04:00 AM   #24
BigBoi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e90

i too am having a problem with oil in my coolant after my cylinder head coolant supply hose under the oil filter gasket exploded and coolant running out. after i replaced the hose and ran the car with new coolant i saw oil in the reservoir. anyone knw if this could be a head gasket or oil filter gasket problem, water pump and thermostat have been changed about a year ago and i had no problems until this year.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #25
glachhman
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
lol I just found it ironic that you asked people to stay out of your thread after posting ideas on the potential issue yet have little/no basic/working knowledge of the system in general. Anyone with over 1,000 posts should have a decent idea on what gaskets/seals tend to fail on these cars by now.

Either way, hope you get this fixed for not very much monies.
All of his posts were about plasti dip

Appreciate 1
      07-15-2019, 08:54 PM   #26
_nwilton
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by demontwinz View Post
Oil filter gasket .. or turbo seals .. i had a mix there before... and final, head gasket
How would a turbo seal leak oil into the coolant?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:59 AM   #27
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGonz View Post
Just a heads up, but I spoke to a head BMW tech (10+ years experience) and he said the t a common problem for oil in the coolant is that where the turbo oil lines meet the block, it's like an upside-down heart shaped drain, and the actual block fractures and cracks at that middle. Apparently it's a well known problem and the only remedy is a whole new block. Thankfully I'm less than 4,000 miles away from my warranty ending and it is all covered. Whew. But it's easily a $7,000 job when all is said and done. Right now, I'm thinking "GOOD FUCKING SHIT DANIEL" for getting the extended warranty through my Credit Union. Whewwww.
Not bashing! But this is unbelievably rare. It is in no way a "common" problem. No need to get crazy paranoid just yet.

The "common" problem for oil in the coolant in these cars is a degraded OFH gasket. They fail (although usually first with external oil leaks) in many N55/N54/N52 engines. Head gasket problems are almost never reported, even in very highly tuned engines. Why is it that BMW can design such a fine head gasket and fail in such an epic fashion with oil pan, valve cover and OFH gaskets? IDK
Appreciate 0