E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Wastegate Options/Mods



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-23-2017, 05:33 PM   #375
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
BB_cuda's Avatar
591
Rep
3,083
Posts

Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clear Lake, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Deezy, I think that 48 psi is psia as in absolute pressure. You need to subtract off atmospheric pressure.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #376
supermann125
Private First Class
40
Rep
181
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (2)

@iaknown do you know if BPC is modifying the waste gate or having over boost issues with the complete "iaknown" package on their 2+ tune? Would like to know if I'm going to be DIY with that tune so I can handle with everything off

John@BPC
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #377
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
BB_cuda's Avatar
591
Rep
3,083
Posts

Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clear Lake, Texas

iTrader: (0)

BPC actually feels the waste gate mod isn't necessary. I believe its in this thread or another related one.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 03:33 PM   #378
f00dstamps
Second Lieutenant
United_States
21
Rep
223
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 335d
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
BPC actually feels the waste gate mod isn't necessary. I believe its in this thread or another related one.
I've logged up to 40 lbs of boost on my BPC 2.5 + iaknown turboback exhaust + race pipe. The internal wastegate cannot evacuate the pressure fast enough. I purposely lay off of full throttle because I am still considering an external wastegate option.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #379
kydiesel35
Lieutenant
kydiesel35's Avatar
United_States
154
Rep
465
Posts

Drives: 2016 X5 35d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: KY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f00dstamps View Post
I've logged up to 40 lbs of boost on my BPC 2.5 + iaknown turboback exhaust + race pipe. The internal wastegate cannot evacuate the pressure fast enough. I purposely lay off of full throttle because I am still considering an external wastegate option.
If you send them your dde they can fix overboost issues... 40lbs does sound a little rich for 2.5, may be wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 06:59 PM   #380
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
134
Rep
318
Posts

Drives: 12 X5d
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

TDI - did you end up cannibalizing an egr cooler to make the piping? The end that connects to the exhaust manifold looks the exact same as stock (flex pipe and piping that extends passed the flange)? Would like to do this mod for peace of mind afters deletes but dont want to sacrifice my egr. Imagine the angles are pretty tough to get right. Probably have a little more room in the x5d engine bay so maybe a little more forgiving.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 07:30 PM   #381
TDIwyse
Colonel
595
Rep
2,410
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MidWest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftronix View Post
TDI - did you end up cannibalizing an egr cooler to make the piping? The end that connects to the exhaust manifold looks the exact same as stock (flex pipe and piping that extends passed the flange)? Would like to do this mod for peace of mind afters deletes but dont want to sacrifice my egr. Imagine the angles are pretty tough to get right. Probably have a little more room in the x5d engine bay so maybe a little more forgiving.
I did use the EGR flex pipe at first, but it didn't last. I then moved to a hard pipe ~2 years ago: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1111590

However, I still used the compression section and the flange from the original EGR connection. Just got rid of the flex section that is prone to cracking/breaking...
__________________
2011 335d 11.68 @ 125.71 mph 1/4 mile NHRA certified track
Ram Cummins with lots-o-mods
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 11:24 PM   #382
Yozh
Colonel
Yozh's Avatar
No_Country
740
Rep
2,442
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wet Coast

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftronix View Post
..dont want to sacrifice my egr.
Can go for something like this from an older E46/X5 with an M57. They come up on eBay europe once in a while for little money.

Name:  Capture7.PNG
Views: 1075
Size:  95.5 KB
Appreciate 1
Deftronix134.00

      03-16-2017, 01:17 AM   #383
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
134
Rep
318
Posts

Drives: 12 X5d
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Love this forum, thanks TDI!

Yozh - That should work perfectly as a starting point, very much appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. Great idea!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #384
iaknown
Banned
399
Rep
1,040
Posts

Drives: 335D
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermann125 View Post
@iaknown do you know if BPC is modifying the waste gate or having over boost issues with the complete "iaknown" package on their 2+ tune? Would like to know if I'm going to be DIY with that tune so I can handle with everything off

John@BPC
Some interesting info about this I wanted to pass on..... Although it seems universally agreed that the wastegate mod isn't necessary, I found out some information that disproves it actually does harm to the turbine housing. A while back Bob and I were discussing this and he stated they had a car w/ the mod come in that was losing power during the turbo switch. Turns out the wastegate was most likely cracking from the slight spike of pressure when the turbos transition and the increased surface area on the wg flapper from the mod. He said the turbine housing was replaced and that solved it.....

Well, I found out I had the same issue on my car. When the turbos switched I could see a spike and then a huge drop in boost. But I knew that there had to be a way to lower the spike by adjusting the transition of the turbo switchover. I hounded Jarek about this and he did similar testing on a car he had inhouse on the dyno. He adjusted the switchover characteristics and updated my tune and this solved my issue, the boost is now rock solid and much smoother during the switchover. So a software adjustment was all that was needed. Thought this might interest some of you.....

Last edited by iaknown; 03-16-2017 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 12:11 AM   #385
Yozh
Colonel
Yozh's Avatar
No_Country
740
Rep
2,442
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wet Coast

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
... I hounded Jarek about this and he did similar testing on a car he had inhouse on the dyno. He adjusted the switchover characteristics and updated my tune and this solved my issue, the boost is now rock solid and much smoother during the switchover. So a software adjustment was all that was needed. Thought this might interest some of you.....
Nice. Jarek is a wizard.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 12:06 AM   #386
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
134
Rep
318
Posts

Drives: 12 X5d
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Any of you guys have experience with the SCG-1 boost controller/wideband gauge?

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 04:41 PM   #387
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
BB_cuda's Avatar
591
Rep
3,083
Posts

Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clear Lake, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
Some interesting info about this I wanted to pass on..... Although it seems universally agreed that the wastegate mod isn't necessary, I found out some information that disproves it actually does harm to the turbine housing. A while back Bob and I were discussing this and he stated they had a car w/ the mod come in that was losing power during the turbo switch. Turns out the wastegate was most likely cracking from the slight spike of pressure when the turbos transition and the increased surface area on the wg flapper from the mod. He said the turbine housing was replaced and that solved it.....

Well, I found out I had the same issue on my car. When the turbos switched I could see a spike and then a huge drop in boost. But I knew that there had to be a way to lower the spike by adjusting the transition of the turbo switchover. I hounded Jarek about this and he did similar testing on a car he had inhouse on the dyno. He adjusted the switchover characteristics and updated my tune and this solved my issue, the boost is now rock solid and much smoother during the switchover. So a software adjustment was all that was needed. Thought this might interest some of you.....
Iaknown, so you had Jarek change software some to reduce spike at transition. Are you still running the turbo housing that has the opened up WG port? I have open up WG port too and wondering if i'm suffering a little at transition.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 10:21 PM   #388
iaknown
Banned
399
Rep
1,040
Posts

Drives: 335D
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Iaknown, so you had Jarek change software some to reduce spike at transition. Are you still running the turbo housing that has the opened up WG port? I have open up WG port too and wondering if i'm suffering a little at transition.
Yes, and I am still running my ported housing with no issues. It wasn't the 1st time Jarek saw this so I think it motivated him to change the transition a little on all aggressive tunes. You should try to monitor boost closely or even put a camera pointed at the wastegate arm to see, either should tell you if it's cracking.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #389
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
BB_cuda's Avatar
591
Rep
3,083
Posts

Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clear Lake, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
Yes, and I am still running my ported housing with no issues. It wasn't the 1st time Jarek saw this so I think it motivated him to change the transition a little on all aggressive tunes. You should try to monitor boost closely or even put a camera pointed at the wastegate arm to see, either should tell you if it's cracking.
Thank you. I presume I could get same correction from Andrew.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 05:38 AM   #390
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
61
Rep
327
Posts

Drives: bmw
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

Hi, newby here. I am about to get my exhaust dpf delete does anyone still think i should just enlarge the wastegate hole while i have it all apart or just leave it alone. Ill be going jr 2 race i think and may upgrade later.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 08:10 AM   #391
Torqu3
Major
United_States
281
Rep
1,133
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Centralish Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson335d View Post
Hi, newby here. I am about to get my exhaust dpf delete does anyone still think i should just enlarge the wastegate hole while i have it all apart or just leave it alone. Ill be going jr 2 race i think and may upgrade later.
2 opinions here. First, just go ahead and spring for the 2.8 and put in new boost hose seals and vacuum lines. That's exactly what I did and have had zero problems. Much easier and less time consuming than upgrading over time. And you'll thank me later for the power and MPG gains.

Second, don't worry about the wastegate. The tunes now are advanced enough that they aren't really necessary. Like it has been said, it won't be damaging if you did want to do it, but you don't really need to do it. Get a Turbosmart BOV from Whitbread Performance Innovations, and all will be good.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 02:46 PM   #392
chuckn0rr1s
Private
chuckn0rr1s's Avatar
No_Country
5
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: BMW 2011 335d
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

iTrader: (0)

I just did the Stage 2+ tune from BPC I am very happy with the results! Next mods are airlift performance kit, wheels, and Intercooler
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST