E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 3+ weeks after delete - couple questions...

07-03-2019, 08:56 AM   #1
335diesel
Rep
Drives: 335d Alpine White

3+ weeks after delete - couple questions...

I've loved this car since the day I got it, about six years ago. It's a 2011 M-Sport 335d, white. I've followed this forum all along and have done maintenance and upgrades based on what I find here. Usually I can find any answers I need without asking anything.

I recently had EGR/DPF delete with ECU reflash, in lieu of the more expensive route of replacing particulate filter, etc. The performance increase is amazing!

However, I think the new programming may have been too performance-oriented. I say this because when accelerating hard, the car puts out as much smoke as a large diesel pickup with aggressive tuning. So much so, that a trip from Atlanta to Orlando averaging 90-120mph resulted in my white car having a 40% gray rear end.

I sent a pic of the blackened rear bumper and decklid to my brother for advice. He's been a diesel tech for 20+ years, caveat being that he mostly works on Caterpillar equipment - which is an entirely different animal. His theory is that the fuel is not burning completely and the engine should not put out as much smoke, and shouldn't put out a visible amount unless accelerating hard. (Produces a cloud of smoke even when moderately accelerating on surface roads.)

It runs smooth, idles fine. Of course, there's a strong diesel smell - but it's not as bad as my dad's oldsmobile station wagon was when I was a kid. I don't mind keeping the windows rolled up, but I may want to consider adding a cat or something if there's a way to reduce odor that's not too expensive/problematic to replace as needed.

Is it possible that I could request that the ECU be remapped with complete combustion as the target, prioritizing this over output?

Also, is there anything I need to know other than what the stickies list out, as far as expected maintenance, or things I can replace before they fail? I'm about to take it in again to take care of any maintenance and want to do what I can on a preventative basis.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

check your air filter. a stock dirty filter will cause a lot of smoke... before i upgraded to a new filter i got a lot of smoke.

the back side of these cars is a dead zone for air that is why the bumper gets black..
      07-04-2019, 12:58 AM   #3
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Could be tune related. Could be turbo/boost control related. If the car is in tip top shape and you don’t have any boost leaks and vacuum system for turbo control is operational then I would be looking at a tune. However, you said it smokes like a freight train. You most likely got issues with other items mentioned above besides the tune. What tune is it?
Appreciate 1
tuikku54.50
      07-04-2019, 05:19 AM   #4
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E91 335D M SPORT

Have you fitted a Dpf delete pipe or just had it mapped out?

Last edited by RS DAVE; 07-04-2019 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #5
tuikku
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335d

All BMW's here are Lamda-controlled.
Quite sure, that there too.
If the boost pipes leaks, lamda sensor cuts the smoke off, or at least most of its. It is its job.
But, this works only if the softw is quite a well done.
In most of cases, the tuner wants to get the ultimate power one way or another. That causes smoke.
Very often customers wants as much power as possible, if so, the hands are "tied", there got to be visible smoke to make them believe that fueling is as high as possible.
Appreciate 1
robnitro160.00
      07-04-2019, 07:57 PM   #6
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Intake will clean up a stage 2 335d nicely.
      07-04-2019, 11:56 PM   #7
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
Intake will clean up a stage 2 335d nicely.
Because tuners are not really going by lambda and maf air ratios, so when you increase airflow fueling is the same and it gets less smoky.
Appreciate 1
tuikku54.50
      07-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #8
tuikku
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335d

That's right, most of tuners "afraid" that they do not get enough power to get "highest professional" status.

Lamda- controlled system is in fact very easy. You needs only to get more air into engine and the ecu calculates automatically more fuelling and power.
If airmas controlled ecu can see risng flow => it can give more fueling.

If the pressure controlled ecu can see rising boost, it gives more fuel.
Appreciate 1
robnitro160.00