E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Aussie E-Bay - Buy It Now - E9x Recomended

05-25-2016, 11:38 PM   #67
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

This is what I use (EDIT: Kent beat me to it!):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-240V-...gAAOSwFnFV~9UQ

Any basic charger will shut off when the battery is charged. You charge from the terminals in the engine bay which goes through the car's charging system anyway.

If you are doing MHD flashes, a 5A will be insufficient. This 20A charger is great, keeps the battery topped up with the fuel pump running and the headlights on.

Just gotta make sure you have a good connection, don't clamp onto any of the dull galvanized bolts for a ground, that may give you a large voltage drop.

Last edited by vtl; 05-25-2016 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 11:41 PM   #68
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: State Transit Bus

Although the eBay special probably can't revive a battery like the smart chargers like your Ctek one. I have owned Ctek products before and they're great. I currently have one of these Ctek bluetooth battery monitors thanks to EB89 recommended it after buying a cheaper product but had problems connecting to bluetooth all the time with the app. The Ctek one is faultless
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 01:54 AM   #69
CYL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post

Any basic charger will shut off when the battery is charged. You charge from the terminals in the engine bay which goes through the car's charging system anyway.

If you are doing MHD flashes, a 5A will be insufficient. This 20A charger is great, keeps the battery topped up with the fuel pump running and the headlights on.

Just gotta make sure you have a good connection, don't clamp onto any of the dull galvanized bolts for a ground, that may give you a large voltage drop.
sorry for off topic.
But may I ask if 5A really insufficient for MHD flash?
Some say that it is sufficient?
With the 20A charger, does it do the stage charging/maintenance of the battery like the ctek?

I trust vtl since he is the expert in the electrical if you have read all the electrical mods that he has done.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 05:06 AM   #70
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Ill sell you my CTEK 5AMP if you want? I have two now
      05-26-2016, 09:12 PM   #71
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89
Ill sell you my CTEK 5AMP if you want? I have two now
lol why do you have two?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 09:20 PM   #72
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post

sorry for off topic.
But may I ask if 5A really insufficient for MHD flash?
Some say that it is sufficient?
With the 20A charger, does it do the stage charging/maintenance of the battery like the ctek?

I trust vtl since he is the expert in the electrical if you have read all the electrical mods that he has done.
You definitely need one more than 10A.

With the initial flash, it can take up to 38 mins. While the ignition is on, our cars electrics go like crazy especial the fuel pump. A common alternative is to unplug the fuse for the fuel pump, which is the biggest battery drainer.

If your battery is healthy, it should be able to sustain enough voltage for a full write without being charged. Your battery will still start and run your car if the voltage is below 10A, but MHD stops working as it needs a minimum 10A reading from your OBD port to function. If you're in a flash cycle and it drops below 10A, you'll temporarily brick your DME. It's not a major problem as you just have to start the process all over again.

But let's say you're flashing your only car. The voltage drops below 10A. You brick your DME. You can't go anywhere. I suppose you could still use the 5A charger and charge up the battery to full and try again
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 10:05 PM   #73
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashedUpBogan View Post

With the initial flash, it can take up to 38 mins. While the ignition is on, our cars electrics go like crazy especial the fuel pump. A common alternative is to unplug the fuse for the fuel pump, which is the biggest battery drainer.

If your battery is healthy, it should be able to sustain enough voltage for a full write without being charged. Your battery will still start and run your car if the voltage is below 10A, but MHD stops working as it needs a minimum 10A reading from your OBD port to function. If you're in a flash cycle and it drops below 10A, you'll temporarily brick your DME. It's not a major problem as you just have to start the process all over again.

But let's say you're flashing your only car. The voltage drops below 10A. You brick your DME. You can't go anywhere. I suppose you could still use the 5A charger and charge up the battery to full and try again
Think you're confusing amps and volts here

Yeah the 5A isn't suitable, if you have a crap battery the flash can still drain it during a flash.
      05-26-2016, 10:15 PM   #74
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:

Thanks.
Will get that $40 20A charger today.
I am not too sure how good is the Ctek, it says that it can do something like recondition/maintain the health of the battery.
What about the 20A charger? e.g. if I leave the car in my garage for an extended period (more than 2 weeks), can it be used to charge the battery without damaging it?
It's ok if it doesn't, I will just use it solely for the MHD flash.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 11:02 PM   #75
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl
Quote:

Think you're confusing amps and volts here

Yeah the 5A isn't suitable, if you have a crap battery the flash can still drain it during a flash.
haha fuck. Voltage measured in amps?!?! What was I thinking?! I was watching NBA finals at the time. What a game! GSW to lose one more though
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 11:07 PM   #76
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

My work electrician explained electricity to me really well last week. Compare it to plumbing. The voltage (volts) is like the water pressure, the resistance (ohms) is like the pipe size and the current (amps) is the flow rate
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 12:15 AM   #77
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Can recommend the CTEK battery charger - the basic one has AGM charge and condition as well.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 12:18 AM   #78
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL View Post
Thanks.
Will get that $40 20A charger today.
I am not too sure how good is the Ctek, it says that it can do something like recondition/maintain the health of the battery.
What about the 20A charger? e.g. if I leave the car in my garage for an extended period (more than 2 weeks), can it be used to charge the battery without damaging it?
It's ok if it doesn't, I will just use it solely for the MHD flash.
Any cheapo battery charger will stop charging once the battery is at full capacity. This one is no different, read the listing, its got an LED to indicate when its full and stops charging
      05-27-2016, 12:55 AM   #79
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
What about the basic phone charger? Just out of curiosity.
Heard that it's not good to keep the phone charged once it's 100% already.
Don't know who perpetuates these myths. Phones stop charging once they reach 100%. Anyway getting a bit off topic here...
      05-27-2016, 01:54 AM   #80
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
better change the name of this thread to "all you ever wanted to know about battery chargers and Aussie ebay buy-it-now"
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 02:45 AM   #81
Fuji
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
better change the name of this thread to "all you ever wanted to know about battery chargers and Aussie ebay buy-it-now"
      05-27-2016, 12:34 PM   #82
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl
Quote:
What about the basic phone charger? Just out of curiosity.
Heard that it's not good to keep the phone charged once it's 100% already.
Don't know who perpetuates these myths. Phones stop charging once they reach 100%. Anyway getting a bit off topic here...
lol did he delete his post?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #83
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket
Sooooo there's some Ozbargainers on here huh? Let's see how much of an ozbargainer you are. How many eneloop rechargeable batteries do you have?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 09:04 PM   #84
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
lol did he delete his post?
Yes I did since it is way too off topic, so tried to delete irrelevant post.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 09:38 PM   #85
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
lol why do you have two?
Got the 5AMP first then got the 15AMP cos I though it was a good idea lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #86
CYL
Major
Rep

Just bought a set stock spark plug - Good for stock car or lightly tuned car?

$120 for 6 spark plug

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BOSCH-SPA...gAAOSwZ8ZW5VFD

Last edited by CYL; 05-28-2016 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #87
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL

might wanna try posting the link again. No bueno
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 06:56 PM   #88
Fuji
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashedUpBogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL

might wanna try posting the link again. No bueno

That's what he was trying to post