E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > MMM335's Build/Daily

06-15-2016, 12:24 PM   #23
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: State Transit Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335gc

^

Can someone spot what might give implications with installing the 7 inch cooler.

To be honest, sort of dissapointed as my order is already sent, either a, need to get it in, which will be a very tight fit from measurements, b, change ACC mount which effects the modules functionality or c, remove it, d try pass the cooler onto a mate and run a 5 inch.

c seems good as i don't use cruise control and to be honest the look of it in the front bar looks like shit, that and its taking up airflow given a doesnt work, although a requires cutting of the shroud, and if i went with option d then ive cut my shroud for nothing haha.

nothing just goes to plan as expected guess thats the fun in it but

^ here is measurements.

^ aero rear bar ???

and a big thanks to chappy for swinging me some navigation discs today on my way home.

sitting and waiting for parts from vrsf now

chappys got me keen for a CIC retrofit now to...
Your post makes no sense at all initially Had to read it a few times to grasp what you're getting at, especially the first line. What exactly do you mean by implication?

The FMIC should fit even with your Active Cruise Control. I'll assume that's what you're talking about as you only say ACC mount once and don't make any reference to it at all directly anywhere - just the mount. Some might assume you're talking about Air Conditioning Compressor for all they can summise.

That's because Active Cruise Control is an EXTREMELY rare option here and a lot people would have never heard of it let alone know what it looked like. It's also a very expensive option, so if you're worried about resale, I'd suggest keeping it!

Is there anything behind the grille where the sensor is? That's the part you should be checking for clearance. The VRSF FMIC actually sits a bit further back and not that much more forward.

Just wait for the FMIC to arrive and do a trial fit. If it doesn't fit, then relocate the sensor maybe to the left somewhere? I agree it's kind of ugly though!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 02:14 PM   #24
MMM335
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashedUpBogan View Post
Your post makes no sense at all initially Had to read it a few times to grasp what you're getting at, especially the first line. What exactly do you mean by implication?

The FMIC should fit even with your Active Cruise Control. I'll assume that's what you're talking about as you only say ACC mount once and don't make any reference to it at all directly anywhere - just the mount. Some might assume you're talking about Air Conditioning Compressor for all they can summise.

That's because Active Cruise Control is an EXTREMELY rare option here and a lot people would have never heard of it let alone know what it looked like. It's also a very expensive option, so if you're worried about resale, I'd suggest keeping it!

Is there anything behind the grille where the sensor is? That's the part you should be checking for clearance. The VRSF FMIC actually sits a bit further back and not that much more forward.

Just wait for the FMIC to arrive and do a trial fit. If it doesn't fit, then relocate the sensor maybe to the left somewhere? I agree it's kind of ugly though!
Worded badly i know! What i meant was, can anyone spot whats going to cause me dramas with the inter cooler, referring to the Active Cruise Control. Pretty much posting to confirm what I've read previously, although doesn't necessarily apply to VRSF 7 inch FMIC's as its not confirmed anywhere that I've found anyways!

Tiago@VRSF has said it would be a tight squeeze, but gave no further information and nothing mentions installation when the Active Cruise Control is considered, or even when buying. I was totally unaware of it, to be honest i didnt even know what it was till i looked it up, then thought wait, hold on is this going to cause me issues with the FMIC.

The only post i could find was the following (added pictures here)

Source:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762420

The poster has installed a 5.5 inch FMIC and measures clearance to the mount for the active cruise control. He reckons 6 inch max according to the post, 7 inch requires trimming of the mount, which could put the Active Cruise Control out of calibration which another forum member posted, which makes sense.

I just hope Tiago@VRSF is right and the 7 inch FMIC is a tight fit, as buying from the states to have the FMIC deemed useless, as modding the bracket doesn't seem like the smartest of ideas as you mentioned it is a rare and expensive option. Not one id pick and personally find it destroys the bumpers look as i am one for symmetry haha, maybe if there were two Active Cruise Controls it would be deemed ok Not serious. But yes its ugly, worse comes to worse, i think the best option is to move on the 7 inch if and go the 5 inch or a 6 inch from another supplier.

New to this 335 stuff, and to be honest i am overly happy with the purchase, compared to the 5 series i had it has way more options and added features which i found the e60 5 series was lacking.. which is odd considering 3 to 5 series etc. Little things like the can cooler, navigation split screen, aux (even though it was an option for e60's mine didn't have it.)

I was going to also attempt the FMIC myself, but considering the Active Cruise Control is involved i may have my mate with a little more expertise then me do it for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 02:33 PM   #25
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

It's just an intercooler.

If something's in the way just move it
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #26
MMM335
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule View Post
It's just an intercooler.

If something's in the way just move it
Moving the Active Cruise Control isn't advised as its got to be calibrated so i believe. Could be wrong, i am no more of an expert then any one else, just reading and reviewing online. All new to me.

Active Cruise Control:

Active Cruise Control.

Driving on busy highways and freeways is more relaxing with Active Cruise Control. It maintains the desired speed when possible, while also keeping a pre-defined distance to any vehicles in the lane ahead.

Radar sensors at the front of the vehicle permanently scan the road ahead. As your BMW approaches a slower vehicle, Active Cruise Control automatically reduces power output from the engine and gently applies the brakes, holding your BMW at a pre-defined distance to the vehicle ahead.
This distance is set as a number of seconds, not of metres, so that a safe reaction time is always available, relative to the current speed. When the lane ahead becomes clear, Active Cruise Control automatically increases your vehicle's speed to your preferred cruising speed. Up to four different cruising speeds can be pre-programmed. A touch on the accelerator or brake pedal deactivates the system.
On curves, Active Cruise Control uses data from the Dynamic Stability Control and navigation systems to calculate whether the cruise speed needs to be adjusted, and to determine whether vehicles in the radar's field are in the same or a neighbouring lane.
The high-performance radar sensor is heated in cold weather, ensuring year-round operation. Active Cruise Control is functional at speeds above 30 km/h and below 180 km/h. Depending on the model, this function is controlled by a paddle on the steering wheel or a button on the multifunction steering wheel.

The system is not intended to serve as an autopilot: outside these speeds, and if sudden deceleration is required, the driver is alerted by a warning sound and visual message. First the cautionary signal is given, then an acute alert in the form of a red car symbol in the instrument panel or the control display. At the same time, the distance between the brake pads and the discs is reduced in case the driver needs to brake urgently.

Link:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...e_control.html

Last edited by MMM335; 06-15-2016 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 05:01 PM   #27
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

It doesn't reduce iats so get rid of it
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #28
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Haha Brule. I think the OP more concerned about cruise control then IATs lol. My advice is to get it professionally fitted. May cost a few dollars but the intercooler and ACC will work or you can take the car back. Just a suggestion
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2016, 05:06 AM   #29
MMM335
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

I dont give a shit for the ACC i never ever use cruise control ever period haha. more worried about having to source more shit so im not getting errors on the dash because i removed it lol
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 05:32 AM   #30
Boganian Rubes
Lieutenant Coal Burner
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 320d e90

Wow, that's what it looks like? O_o
I'd love it but, I use cruise control when i'm a bit tired or don't give a crap about driving... It looks so weird but lol.
Wicked plates!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335gc View Post
Touch fake woodgrain dash.
Oi, the woodgrain trim is l33t as man.
Always had the impression that bmw's mainly rocked woodgrain trim, and first one I drove had it and really set it in for me, I love it.
2008 Titansilber 320d E90 Auto | K&N High Flow Pod | Ecotune DPF Delete + Performance Tune | 2.5" Custom Exhaust | 19" Mars Concave Alloy's | Matte Black Front Splitters and Grille | Mars Tinted Monochromatic Tail Lights | Carbon Fibre Wrapped Door Trim + Interior Trim

Last edited by Boganian Rubes; 06-16-2016 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 06:01 AM   #31
MMM335
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Got some PDW 19 inch wheels today, not the best fitment, front needs to come down a half inch or so... and with some spacers to bring em out a bit i think.

Rears are rubbing, rolled guards, still slightly rubbing on the outer part of the tyre when hitting hard bumps, not so much the tread though.. sits nicely on the rear despite this..

Still UN-decided on weather i am going to black out trim and possibly the wheels.

Last edited by MMM335; 06-16-2016 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 06:47 AM   #32
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

The image you have is a atm intercooler stepped design.
Pretty sure the front plane of any intercooler is the same bar the 5 inch types that don't require any trimming.

The ones that need trimming are literally taking 5-10mm of verticle plastic bars that can't be seen anyway.

So if the atm fits in that space the vrsf 7 inch won't sit any further forward it will just be deeper at the rear.

Last edited by Brule; 06-16-2016 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: Changed km to mm
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 06:51 AM   #33
MMM335
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
The image you have is a atm intercooler stepped design.
Pretty sure the front plane of any intercooler is the same bar the 5 inch types that don't require any trimming.

The ones that need trimming are literally taking 5-10km of verticle plastic bars that can't be seen anyway.

So if the atm fits in that space the vrsf 7 inch won't sit any further forward it will just be deeper at the rear.
Good to know Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 12:42 AM   #34
MMM335
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Bit of an update

Parts have landed and should be here monday, hope VRSF put the goods under 1000 so i dont get taxed didn't even know about this

Wheels i still haven't fixed the rubbing issue on inner guard.. all the guard rollers are booked out for a few weeks.. i actually need the rear guards pumped as they've been previously rolled.

Wheels at the front need to be an inch lower.. dunno how to achieve this... specially when the car only had new shocks and everything in December. What do people suggest to get the front a bit lower? Typically id have to do rears then to right? Should get most costs back selling the stock suspension so not to bad considering its all brand new.

^ Rear sunshade won't go down drops and inch and gets caught, tried lubing up the rails no luck, don't want to force it as it feels like it will break Don't mind it being up anyways..

^ Steering wheel fascia/trim whatever was being worn coating peeling, standard on bmws.. so wrapped it myself.

^ Misses bought me a bmw lighter/taser... and yes ive used it on someone sleeping

^ Cruise other night, mates V35 with LS2 conversion, and mates FG XR6T

^ Installed white 6000k, going to buy angel eyes shortly aswell as LEDS for interior.

^ k+dcan cable was annoying me so stashed it under the dash, still not 100% happy with it, kind of annoying being there when using MHD monitoring.

^ Some random tablet i purchased specially for MHD from Coles for $99, mounted using CD tablet mount, not the best fitment doesnt clamp down on the top part of the tablet... Mount cost me $40 off ebay.. may sell if anyone wants as ive had to Velcro the tablet on, which works but once again annoys me as im a perfectionist lol. If anyone wants it hit me up as ill most likely bite the bullet and buy the mount i wanted that i found on a Chinese website, only reason i didnt purchase was cus of postage times wanted it ASAP.
Gator dash cam i've had for a while now, pretty good, although i am going to hide its wiring to and run it down the back of the idrive to the cigarette charger in the boot, as i want to have the two in the front free for usb.. and typically don't like using the one in the centre console as cables have to run out the side doesn't look clean. and will rub scratch my console over time i presume.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 06:29 AM   #35
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Why don't you use the fuse box
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #36
MMM335
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

parts came in the mail today, minus my ordered HKS BOV
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 06:42 AM   #37
MMM335
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

^ 7 inch installed, tight fit with the Active Cruise Control

^ DCI's waiting on my blow off valve now to be posted by VRSF to install my upper charge pipe

Next is Pumping my guards, Catless DP's, CSL Trunk/Spoiler.

amongst a few other maintenance things i find the car requires.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #38
MMM335
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Cruise with my mates over the weekend, anymore Gold Coast 335 owners??

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 12:55 AM   #39
MJ80.
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT Individual

Look at all those grey E92s haha, ill have to come on a drive one time, i just bought a 335 again.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 01:13 AM   #40
MMM335
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ80. View Post
Look at all those grey E92s haha, ill have to come on a drive one time, i just bought a 335 again.
There were 2 more space grey 335's that didn't attend to :

Defiantly man!!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #41
MMM335
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Anyone interested in the Active Cruise Control?? i want to sell.. hate the look of it, want a new front bar.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #42
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335gc View Post
Cruise with my mates over the weekend, anymore Gold Coast 335 owners??

SG FTW!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 05:56 PM   #43
MMM335
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
SG FTW!!!
First one isnt SG, forget his paint code.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #44
MMM335
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyy View Post
Should have put gloss cf
Yeah i seen sockets gloss 5d carbon and it made me want to purchase a role of it and do my whole interior. Maybe in the future haha.
Appreciate 0