E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 Engine shakes under acceleration after it has warmed up

09-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #1
The_redmen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 328xi

N52 Engine shakes under acceleration after it has warmed up

How's it going everyone?
The title describes the issue I am having.
Around 1500-2000RPM's the car will shake when I am accelerating and will stop once I pass the 2000 mark or drop below 1500RPM.
I have replaced the spark plugs, vanos solenoids, and just replaced my ignition coils this morning.
Upon removing the old coils I noticed a small amount of old oil around the spark plugs. I have read that this can be caused by a bad VCG.
I read on here that another user solved this same issue I am having by changing their transmission fluid and filter.
If anyone has any experience solving this issue and is willing to share their advice it would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 06:16 PM   #2
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_redmen View Post
How's it going everyone?
Around 1500-2000RPM's the car will shake when I am accelerating and will stop once I pass the 2000 mark or drop below 1500RPM.
I have replaced the spark plugs, vanos solenoids, and just replaced my ignition coils this morning.
Upon removing the old coils I noticed a small amount of old oil around the spark plugs. I have read that this can be caused by a bad VCG.
I read on here that another user solved this same issue I am having by changing their transmission fluid and filter.
If anyone has any experience solving this issue and is willing to share their advice it would be greatly appreciated!
Sounds like it could be the disa valve responsible for the low end rpm's, if you have 2 disa valves. If you have only one, it sounds like your disa valve. I'd recommend learning how to code or getting the Carly app cause that would tell you what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #3
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
How's it going everyone?
I'm lost, where did you tell us what you are driving?

Very hard to help when we have so few clues.

Auto/manual, how many miles, 325,330 year?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 08:16 AM   #4
The_redmen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Quote:
How's it going everyone?

Automatic, 328xi, 117k Miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #5
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How's it going everyone?

Ok, 328, no disa valves. Rule that out.

Is the vibration present in every gear at those RPMs or just 1st? Hard acceleration or just part throttle? Try manual mode so you can monitor the gears.

Has the transmission fluid ever been changed? The fluids do not last forever and should be changed.

The GM trans is known to have problems with the torque converter clutch but those should be open at low speed, could be transitioning to close under light throttle. Also most automatics completely lock out the TCC until warm.

Don't jump to conclusions there are other possible causes.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

If vibration only occurs under load (ie when accelerating), I would suspect your CV joints for the front axles.

Worn joints/joints with play are known to cause vibration under load.

I doubt an malfunctioning DISA valve if your issues. Typically that will only cause loss of power, not vibration issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:56 PM   #7
The_redmen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
If vibration only occurs under load (ie when accelerating), I would suspect your CV joints for the front axles.

Worn joints/joints with play are known to cause vibration under load.

I doubt an malfunctioning DISA valve if your issues. Typically that will only cause loss of power, not vibration issues.
It only vibrates between 1500-2000 RPM's though.
When I'm accelerating up to 3/4K it doesn't do it so I'm not sure that could be it but I'll look into it, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 08:00 PM   #8
The_redmen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How's it going everyone?

Ok, 328, no disa valves. Rule that out.

Is the vibration present in every gear at those RPMs or just 1st? Hard acceleration or just part throttle? Try manual mode so you can monitor the gears.

Has the transmission fluid ever been changed? The fluids do not last forever and should be changed.

The GM trans is known to have problems with the torque converter clutch but those should be open at low speed, could be transitioning to close under light throttle. Also most automatics completely lock out the TCC until warm.

Don't jump to conclusions there are other possible causes.
It's mainly under light throttle although I can feel it slightly under hard acceleration.
And I bought the car used so I am not sure when the last time the transmission fluid was changed but I am planning on doing it soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 08:33 PM   #9
Bmw_Crazy
First Lieutenant
Mozambique
Rep
Drives: Man

If your recently bought the car have your rims checked and try wheel alignment
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #10
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

What spark plugs did you fit? Plugs for N52 can be confusing.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #11
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I had a very similar issue with my xDrive E91. It was the transfer case causing the shudder. It only showed up after the vehicle was warmed up, and in those RPM ranges. I was able to make it go away with a fluid change, thankfully. I had one indy tell me that the TC was dead and needed to be changed for $4000.

To troubleshoot, try unplugging the TC actuator under the car and see if the issue goes away.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #12
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
I had a very similar issue with my xDrive E91. It was the transfer case causing the shudder. It only showed up after the vehicle was warmed up, and in those RPM ranges. I was able to make it go away with a fluid change, thankfully. I had one indy tell me that the TC was dead and needed to be changed for $4000.

To troubleshoot, try unplugging the TC actuator under the car and see if the issue goes away.
Exactly what I was going to say. First thing I would check is the TC.
Appreciate 0