E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > EDIABAS with Thor WIFI Adapter

08-03-2020, 07:37 AM   #1
ultimate-tester
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 xDrive28i

EDIABAS with Thor WIFI Adapter

Hi all,

Did anyone ever succeed in connecting EDIABAS with the Thor WIFI Adapter?
This adapter sends out its own IP address (192.168.4.1) and I've tried to connect to it using REMOTE or ENET but both give a timeout. If anyone knows how to connect to it, please let me know. The website states the Thor WIFI adapter is compatible with BMW Standard Tools.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 01:35 PM   #2
ultimate-tester
Enlisted Member
Rep

So after not receiving an answer from the THOR creator, I started reverse engineering myself and found the EdiabasLib project on Github. After reading the documentation I understood that this library offers a drop in replacement for Api32.dll so Ediabas can connect through Bluetooth and Wifi adapters.

Once you use the replacement Api32.dll, the original ediabas.ini is only used as a fallback for several options, but not the settings on how to connect to the vehicle. That's why I had to make a separate configuration, this time in a file called EdiabasLib.config. In there I specified that it should connect over WiFi along with some recommended settings for WiFi adapters provided by the developer of this library.

The last part was specific to my situation. I'm using a virtual machine (VMWare) dedicated to BMW coding. The EdiabasLib only searches for Bluetooth and WiFi adapters, but the WiFi adapter of the laptop is not being passed through to the VM directly. Hence, the VM does not know about any WiFi adapter. VMWare just forwards the network data but not the hardware. To fix that, I plugged in a USB WiFi adapter and passed that through to the VM and installed its drivers on the VM. Now that I had WiFi capability within the VM, EdiabasLib worked right away.

Long story short: Use EdiabasLib with the correct configuration and if you're using VM use a USB WiFi adapter.

The drop-in replacement Api32.dll along with the used configuration can be found as an attachment to this post. Hope someone else finds it useful.
Attached Files
File Type: zip EdiabasLib.zip (293.3 KB, 1172 views)
Appreciate 4
      04-04-2021, 04:52 AM   #3
renizer
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: '10 E91 335xi N55 MT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate-tester View Post
So after not receiving an answer from the THOR creator, I started reverse engineering myself and found the EdiabasLib project on Github. After reading the documentation I understood that this library offers a drop in replacement for Api32.dll so Ediabas can connect through Bluetooth and Wifi adapters.
Hey ultimate-tester can you please tell us where you put this Lib.config file or how you tell EDIABAS to actually use it? Somehow I'm missing this part and I can't get my THOR to work on my laptop :/
Also do you know if there's anything specific about the dll or the like in terms of 32 or 64bit compatability? I'm using this on an old 32bit XP laptop, hence the question.

Last edited by renizer; 04-04-2021 at 05:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 08:56 AM   #4
ultimate-tester
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by renizer View Post
Hey ultimate-tester can you please tell us where you put this Lib.config file or how you tell EDIABAS to actually use it? Somehow I'm missing this part and I can't get my THOR to work on my laptop :/
Also do you know if there's anything specific about the dll or the like in terms of 32 or 64bit compatability? I'm using this on an old 32bit XP laptop, hence the question.
You are replacing the DLL and putting the configuration file in the same folder. This DLL has custom code that forces the use of the configuration file, so no other modifications are needed. The compatibility of x86 or x64 has not directly to do with the architecture of your laptop, but of the supported architecture of the program (OS > program > DLL). Seeing that EDIABAS is not available in x64, then there will never be a DLL for x64 either. Short answer: this dll is for x86 (32-bit).
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 03:48 AM   #5
renizer
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: '10 E91 335xi N55 MT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate-tester View Post
You are replacing the DLL and putting the configuration file in the same folder. This DLL has custom code that forces the use of the configuration file, so no other modifications are needed. The compatibility of x86 or x64 has not directly to do with the architecture of your laptop, but of the supported architecture of the program (OS > program > DLL). Seeing that EDIABAS is not available in x64, then there will never be a DLL for x64 either. Short answer: this dll is for x86 (32-bit).
Thanks a lot ultimate-tester I will go back and try again but I always had some errors come up for the VC++ dlls when starting up the program with the dll replaced 🤔 do you maybe have an idea how to go best about troubleshooting that? Or have an idea what VC++ redist version to use best, on an old system like that to run with the 32bit EDIABAS & modified dll?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 07:12 PM   #6
bbowden
Rep
Drives: 335d

Worked great for Testo and NCS expert, thanks ultimate-tester
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 02:20 AM   #7
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Ultimate-tester, meant to thank you for this helpful tip when I tried it a year ago - it worked, of course!

Ediabaslib is a brilliant piece of reverse-engineering with much added functionality but I am amazed that there is nothing about the configuration file on the THOR website or even a note about the github repository.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 09:31 AM   #8
janpa7
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi (N54)

I've tried copying and pasting the dll and config file and it absolutely doesn't work. I cannot launch INPA and other BMW software...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 04:55 AM   #9
My_broken_e90
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by janpa7 View Post
I've tried copying and pasting the dll and config file and it absolutely doesn't work. I cannot launch INPA and other BMW software...
Im trying to set up my mhd red universal on ista and i cant get it to show up on the connection list could you provide me some guidance please?

This is whats in my files along with the api32
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
<appSettings>
<add key="Interface" value="STD:OBD"/>
<add key="ObdComPort" value="MHD_KLINE_XXXX"/>
<add key="ObdKeepConnectionOpen" value="0"/>
</appSettings>
</configuration>

idk if i should be sharing the last 4 of my mhd device so i changed it with XXXX
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 03:39 PM   #10
misiumesiu
Rep
Drives: e90

I have a problem using this method.I'm trying with the mhd adapter - inpa doesn't see the adapter. Are any drivers required to do it this way?
Appreciate 0