E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M3 control arm install to alignment feedback

08-08-2020, 05:16 PM   #1
Ion619
Ion L.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i & 2018 X1 & 2016 X1

M3 control arm install to alignment feedback

Searched the forum but couldnt find the definite answer to my question.

For those who have installed M3 control arms (front), did you tow the car to the alignment shop and drove it under the current condition?

How far can you drive the car without causing any issues to alignment shop prior to any potential driving issues? Or am I over evaluating the scenario?

It'a approximatelt 44 miles to the alignment shop.
      08-08-2020, 07:14 PM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Seriously?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 12:07 AM   #3
Peter5498
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion619 View Post
Searched the forum but couldnt find the definite answer to my question.

For those who have installed M3 control arms (front), did you tow the car to the alignment shop and drove it under the current condition?

How far can you drive the car without causing any issues to alignment shop prior to any potential driving issues? Or am I over evaluating the scenario?

It'a approximatelt 44 miles to the alignment shop.
I just installed these the other day and I'd say that you're over-evaluating your situation. I drove 17 miles to Firestone and all was okay. I had significant oversteer and lots of steering travel on rough roads or when hitting bumps. Just be cautious.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 01:31 AM   #4
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
You will likely have severe toe-in immediately after the install. It is documented a few times in the forum and I can officially vouch for it as of yesterday after a new install (I did both thrust arms and tension arms).

I found a post informing the tie rods will need to be adjusted roughly 3.5 turns outward to sit at the same place it was at with the non-M variant.
I'm planning to get mine laser aligned this week but it took 3.25 turns to get the car driveable and tracking straight.

Edit: I tested my car at gradually incrementing speeds around my neighborhood, turns included to get to my personal adjustment number, ymmv.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 03:04 AM   #5
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

I'd just use a string line to set the front wheels in line with the rears. That will be a bit toe in, but drivable for hundreds of miles without lunching your tyres.

Just use your common sense until you get the alignment done, and everything will be fine. Tyres are a consumable, after all...
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 09:49 AM   #6
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion619 View Post

You shouldn't have a problem other than a somewhat squiggly ride.

When camber's changed, toe changes, causing the issue. If you're really cool you'll get camber plates and install M3 rear arms, including camber arm.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
If you're really cool you'll get camber plates and install M3 rear arms, including camber arm.
Is that peer pressure, or a recommendation?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 11:50 PM   #8
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post

Depends on what you want. If handling's the priority, highly recommended. If tire longevity's the goal, keep camber at a minimum.

That M3 camber arm will just about goose your rear with more camber than previously possible.

While you're there replace the rear subframe bushing w/M3 bushings. Slop just disappears - an inexpensive fix you'll really like.

Now, about a LSD....there's always more....
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 11:54 PM   #9
Ion619
Ion L.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5498 View Post
I just installed these the other day and I'd say that you're over-evaluating your situation. I drove 17 miles to Firestone and all was okay. I had significant oversteer and lots of steering travel on rough roads or when hitting bumps. Just be cautious.
Thanks for the heads up and will take your experience into account
      08-09-2020, 11:59 PM   #10
Ion619
Ion L.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
You shouldn't have a problem other than a somewhat squiggly ride.

When camber's changed, toe changes, causing the issue. If you're really cool you'll get camber plates and install M3 rear arms, including camber arm.
I did some brief research on "camber plates" and for typical weekend spirited drives around nearby canyons, I'm not sure whether I need it it or not? I do have the B12 Pro Kit installed.
      08-10-2020, 01:20 AM   #11
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Have a look at dinan camber fix plates - probably ideal for your needs.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 07:13 AM   #12
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
I'd just use a string line to set the front wheels in line with the rears. That will be a bit toe in, but drivable for hundreds of miles without lunching your tyres.

Just use your common sense until you get the alignment done, and everything will be fine. Tyres are a consumable, after all...
^^ This. Seriously, this isn't rocket science. Two 2x4s and a measuring tape will get total toe exactly where it needs to be in less than 10 minutes. Take it the extra step, string the car, and do the alignment yourself or just burn the $100+ and let someone else take their chance at f'ing something up...choice is yours.

Quote:
Recommendation, obviously...has been for the last ~14 years.

Quote:
Have a look at dinan camber fix plates - probably ideal for your needs.
Yup...don't wimp out. Will make one of the most noticeable differences with regard to turn-in, grip, etc. Highly worth while.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 06:30 PM   #13
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky0u View Post
You will likely have severe toe-in immediately after the install. It is documented a few times in the forum and I can officially vouch for it as of yesterday after a new install (I did both thrust arms and tension arms).

I found a post informing the tie rods will need to be adjusted roughly 3.5 turns outward to sit at the same place it was at with the non-M variant.
I'm planning to get mine laser aligned this week but it took 3.25 turns to get the car driveable and tracking straight.

Edit: I tested my car at gradually incrementing speeds around my neighborhood, turns included to get to my personal adjustment number, ymmv.
I read the same post about ~3 turns to adjust toe-out. Thanks for confirming it
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 09:39 AM   #14
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
I read the same post about ~3 turns to adjust toe-out. Thanks for confirming it
Why guess? It takes less than 5 minutes to actually measure and adjust.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 03:40 PM   #15
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Why guess? It takes less than 5 minutes to actually measure and adjust.
My plan was to do a string alignment before getting an actual alignment. Knowing that 3ish turns is close will save some time while doing the string method.

As an aside, I've only done string alignments on higher riding vehicles with easy access to the outer tie rods. How do you get access on our cars?
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2020, 03:52 PM   #16
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Access while at normal ride height on sport suspension has never been a problem for me. As you mentioned, by the time you get close enough to make the final adjustments anyway you're only looking at an 1/8th of a turn at most and that can easily be accomplished by feel.

If you need a bit more room just park on a couple of 2x6s all the way around. You'll likely have to end up shimming each corner regardless anyway so starting at higher level ground won't be a problem.
Appreciate 0