E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 down pipe fix found!

02-13-2016, 11:48 AM   #155
around
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 4 doors, one hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Just remember, o2 sims are not new by any means.
uhm, this one is.......
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #156
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by around
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mposter View Post
If I could confirm the wiring on the O2 sensor side in person then I would be able to update the wiring diagram for someone who wanted to do it an "easier" way.
Personally , I thought it may be easier to do it on the sensor side but then when I found out that the wire colors do not follow through, I immediately concluded that DIYers could make a mistake. Anyway, then I thought about how frequently the sensors are replaced when running straight ethanol. I would hate to have to redo the wiring again a few years down the road . For n54 single turbo guys, they replace O2s every time they overheat the manifold which could be a few months.

Anyway here is a new one with even more clarification.
just match up the harness colors to the o2 sensor colors. Tip, usually the two alike colors on the sensor are the heater circuit.

you could also consider installing it next to your DME and JB4....just another option.
I was in there for the spark plugs DIY and I thought I had some pictures on my phone. The reason I said I need to confirm in person is that the pictures that are available do not clearly show which pins they are going to on each side . Then there is the flipping of the connectors in different images so yellow is on bottom in one picture and the next its on the top. I would have to have an image connected as to see the whole picture .
I just want to make sure that what I provide is not incorrect for the end user.
And thanks for the heater wire tip. I saw it in another thread for installation on another brand vehicle. I can add that in too as a cross reference for people using different brand replacement O2 sensors.
      02-13-2016, 09:26 PM   #157
around
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I was in there for the spark plugs DIY and I thought I had some pictures on my phone. The reason I said I need to confirm in person is that the pictures that are available do not clearly show which pins they are going to on each side . Then there is the flipping of the connectors in different images so yellow is on bottom in one picture and the next its on the top. I would have to have an image connected as to see the whole picture .
I just want to make sure that what I provide is not incorrect for the end user.
And thanks for the heater wire tip. I saw it in another thread for installation on another brand vehicle. I can add that in too as a cross reference for people using different brand replacement O2 sensors.
Hi Mposter

your schematic is a great contribution, and is absolutely correct...you are right the photos are one way then the other in the DIY, remember we know kevBquick worked hard on this, under duress! trying to get everyone going, and has been very faithful to all of us...... now with some collaboration maybe a newer DIY could be done, but I trust KevBquick for input, as he is the tester, and he really seems to know his S H I T !!!!

I know "the site A 74 " also has the universal instructions that shows many different o2 sensor wire colors, hope that helps

thumbs up to Mposter....
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 11:54 PM   #158
kevBquick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

my pics in my DIY are for the N55 stock O2. unsure on a 74.
wires are consistent for me. Yellow wire even if i rotated my pics is the yellow wire that would need to be cut and spliced.

The rest of the wires I call out as well. I was just getting this going for n55s. And as soon as I get it to work everyone wants it and I of course then have life issues arise that need attention. i wish they were never here to begin with i promise you that. but i tried to get something going as I had pics of everything just no time for a full comprehensive writeup that i planned. if we have more areas of attention...PM what we are thinking of and I can work on something....I just may respond a lil slower these days unfortunately but I do check in every few days.

Yes for n54 single turbos....i have not installed or seen their sensor wires to follow through to know exactly. i know they go through them like water so...yeah not my expertise on that one.
      02-16-2016, 09:51 AM   #159
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevBquick
my pics in my DIY are for the N55 stock O2. unsure on a 74.
wires are consistent for me. Yellow wire even if i rotated my pics is the yellow wire that would need to be cut and spliced.

The rest of the wires I call out as well. I was just getting this going for n55s. And as soon as I get it to work everyone wants it and I of course then have life issues arise that need attention. i wish they were never here to begin with i promise you that. but i tried to get something going as I had pics of everything just no time for a full comprehensive writeup that i planned. if we have more areas of attention...PM what we are thinking of and I can work on something....I just may respond a lil slower these days unfortunately but I do check in every few days.

Yes for n54 single turbos....i have not installed or seen their sensor wires to follow through to know exactly. i know they go through them like water so...yeah not my expertise on that one.
Thank you for your help! In no way do I want to make it seem like all your work was confusing. It was very helpful.
The only thing that was missing was clarity for connecting on the other side toward the sensor for those who wish to do it another way.
      02-16-2016, 08:05 PM   #160
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Received my io2 today
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:09 PM   #161
around
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boost View Post
Received my io2 today
great..... spread the word when you pass!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:04 PM   #162
Seamus
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 2011 335xi

Garage List
2011 335xi  [0.00]
Im installing mine on Saturday. Will let everyone know if the monitors go to Ready status.
      02-16-2016, 10:47 PM   #163
kevBquick
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesey271975 View Post
Im installing mine on Saturday. Will let everyone know if the monitors go to Ready status.
there should be no doubt and no problem of that happening. let me know if you need anything.
      02-16-2016, 10:54 PM   #164
kevBquick
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for your help! In no way do I want to make it seem like all your work was confusing. It was very helpful.
The only thing that was missing was clarity for connecting on the other side toward the sensor for those who wish to do it another way.
no worries...i'm glad someone can poke holes in it so we can re work it and i can adjust it.

i take no offensive.

i did go with the way a 74 wanted it done for ease of use for the community. so that was in mind for this write up and install. there were other designs and complicated ideas...but to bring it down to 4 wires was best and simplest.

as for the jb4 connections and using a method stored over there....i didn't even have time for that. as the not everyone runs jb4. etc. so we certainly can expand the idea. this write was meant for the simplest method and trying to make it a 1 out of 10 for people with zero skill to still install their own.

but nobody says you can't take it to the next level and install it in other such places and do write ups. i'm all for more power to the community. thats why i stepped up to do this project. nobody was willing. which i thought was crazy. at first it was hard maybe thats why other testers failed or aborted. but i was determined to find a solution so were they.
      02-17-2016, 05:47 AM   #165
Jsoboti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92 M-Sport 6MT

Apparently mine was returned to area 74 because of a customs issue. Almost 1 month since ordering and still don't have it.
JB4 G5 ISO FF | BMS Performance Intake | BMS Wheel Spacers | VRSF Catless DP | Red CYBA Scoops | Supreme Power Lowering Perches | VRSF Charge Pipe | VMR 810 19x8.5 ET35 19x9.5 ET33 | Michelin PSS 235/265 | BMS CDV | BMS Clutch Stop | 4'' Tips
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:48 AM   #166
Seamus
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsoboti View Post
Apparently mine was returned to area 74 because of a customs issue. Almost 1 month since ordering and still don't have it.
same thing happened to mine. there were 4 orders that got returned to him. he re posted it and i got mine last Weds. The guys totally legit though, he returns emails in 5 mins every time.
      02-17-2016, 08:49 AM   #167
Seamus
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevBquick View Post
no worries...i'm glad someone can poke holes in it so we can re work it and i can adjust it.

but nobody says you can't take it to the next level and install it in other such places and do write ups. i'm all for more power to the community. thats why i stepped up to do this project. nobody was willing. which i thought was crazy. at first it was hard maybe thats why other testers failed or aborted. but i was determined to find a solution so were they.
i sincerely appreciate you doing this mate. it took months and you had non stop folks hounding you, including me. hope it was worth it!
      02-17-2016, 08:31 PM   #168
around
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesey271975 View Post
i sincerely appreciate you doing this mate. it took months and you had non stop folks hounding you, including me. hope it was worth it!
I second that, hands down.....thanks KevBquick you are the MAN!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 09:17 PM   #169
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Currently FBO minus catless. The ♤♡♢♧74 device was installed today. Driving out of my tech's place I immediately got a check engine indication. Darn. As I had all of my plugs changed at the same time I wanted a look on my decoder box before freaking. Hooked up there were a couple of misfires, and a couple of kitty issues. I deleted the codes and drove the car about 10 miles this evening. No more check engine, and my car runs strong. Very strong. What a noticeable difference with new plugs. Will report back after a few days of code free miles. So far so bueno. After a few code free weeks, in goes my downpipe. The I will pour on the PSIs.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 09:25 PM   #170
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Rear o2 cel would take a couple engine cycles, to trigger anyway.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 05:08 AM   #171
around
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
Currently FBO minus catless. The ♤♡♢♧74 device was installed today. Driving out of my tech's place I immediately got a check engine indication. Darn. As I had all of my plugs changed at the same time I wanted a look on my decoder box before freaking. Hooked up there were a couple of misfires, and a couple of kitty issues. I deleted the codes and drove the car about 10 miles this evening. No more check engine, and my car runs strong. Very strong. What a noticeable difference with new plugs. Will report back after a few days of code free miles. So far so bueno. After a few code free weeks, in goes my downpipe. The I will pour on the PSIs.
Hi Ozzie
keep us posted, as I don't think it has ever been installed on something with a factory cat.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 06:19 AM   #172
jwalker87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '11 335xi, '01 Z3M

Quote:
I really wouldn't be surprised if it threw codes when installed in a catted car. Your car is now getting indications of there being 2 cats (effectively) installed, so the value it's expecting back is not what the device is sending it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 08:00 AM   #173
Seamus
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker87
Quote:
I really wouldn't be surprised if it threw codes when installed in a catted car. Your car is now getting indications of there being 2 cats (effectively) installed, so the value it's expecting back is not what the device is sending it.
+1

That's intent of the unit is for a car without Cats. Makes sense it's throwing a code

Last edited by Seamus; 02-18-2016 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 11:52 AM   #174
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Spliced mine in on a N55 yesterday and the car was showing readiness state on Catalyst after a couple starts and a few miles. I guess it's working! I just need to follow the drive cycle rules and get the EVAP to set as Ready. I am in PA and I can pass OBD scan for state inspection with 1 monitor not in ready state.
Inspection is set for next week, slap the new stickers on and then tear it down for Pure Stage 2 install !!!
I'm glad this iO2 was finally created! Saves the hassle of dp swap then drive cycle, pass inspection, then swap back to catless each year!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #175
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by around View Post
Hi Ozzie
keep us posted, as I don't think it has ever been installed on something with a factory cat.
Had another cel this morning. I agree with all you guys that the dme seeing the second cat is most likely, but will confirm with 47. Obviously installing the pipe will give me the answer, but I need the hardware to do so.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #176
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive manual

Garage List
Finally received my unit as well and planning to install it on Saturday.

I've been studying the diy and have a question though. From what I can tell, the diy says to install this after the plug rather than splice it into the wires going from the O2 sensor to the plug. Would it be possible to install it on the o2 wires just in case I ever want to take my car back to stock? Seems like I'd only have to replace the o2 sensor in that case and there would be no sign of anything ever being there.

I know it's very possible I'll get my answer once I take it apart and see that it's not possible for some reason but I'd rather find out prior to taking it apart.
Appreciate 0