E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Wheels and suspension or both?

07-02-2020, 01:24 PM   #1
pysical
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Wheels and suspension or both?

I have 19" wheels on my 335xi E90 and I also have BC coilovers. The car is lowered just enough so that you don't see any wheel gap. I have ran into some bad bumps in my car that has felt like the entire front of my car was going to fall apart. It feels like my car has no suspension on some of these bumps. Sometimes I can't avoid these bumps and I can only imagine what it is doing to other parts of the car. I am running BC Coilovers and this is the first time I have ever had 19" wheels, coilovers, and them together. So I don't know what to compare these to.

Has anyone been in the same situation? When I hit some of these bumps I am not lieing it feels like the front suspension is just solid and doesn't absorb anything. I don't know if I should get new coilovers (ST, KW) or if I need to get some smaller wheels?

Anyone have any sort of feedback?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 10:13 AM   #2
the93owner
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi E90

With a lowered suspension and skinnier tires, you are going to experience some degree of discomfort when going over bumps and road defects. When going over these "bad bumps" you can't expect your car to glide over them like a Jeep. If it still feels like that going over smaller bumps and regular roads then you may want to try adjusting the damping level on the coilovers to help with the harshness.

On my car, I lowered it significantly on KWs and the ride is very manageable. I have yet to hit a really large bump but day to day driving is no problem. Even on some roads that are under construction, I just take it slow to make sure I don't hit anything. Part of the game is knowing how to avoid/manage the rough spots, and part of it is paying the price of driving a lowered car lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 01:26 PM   #3
Tadlad08
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

I also have bc coilovers . Try 15 clicks for the front and rear, the softer you go the better it'll feel going over bumps but won't be hugging the road as much. Find your settings play with it
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 01:33 PM   #4
pysical
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadlad08 View Post
I also have bc coilovers . Try 15 clicks for the front and rear, the softer you go the better it'll feel going over bumps but won't be hugging the road as much. Find your settings play with it
I have tried full soft, full hard, in the middle, etc. I ended up swapping the camber plates for the stock top hats and it helped a lot. But it still isn't good enough. I went ahead and just bought some KW v1. If these don't fix it then I will be going to 18"s.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 01:58 PM   #5
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

I don't have experience with coilovers on this chassis, but do with others...I've put in a lot of reading into performance and ride quality characteristics of coilovers for E9Xs as I do eventually plan on getting some. The consensus I've come up with is that I'll most likely go with Onlins RT. A little pricy, yes, but this is one of those areas where spending more does come with advantages. Companies like BC don't put much R&D into their product, and KW V1 is entry level - not saying it's junk and probably considerably better than BC, but there's better options out there. Either way, short sidewalls and stiffer springs/shocks are always going to ride harder than stock and taller side walls and more care and attention needs to be paid while driving. Be mindful of what's coming up and slow down or avoid the bumps and pot holes.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 02:31 PM   #6
pysical
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
I don't have experience with coilovers on this chassis, but do with others...I've put in a lot of reading into performance and ride quality characteristics of coilovers for E9Xs as I do eventually plan on getting some. The consensus I've come up with is that I'll most likely go with Onlins RT. A little pricy, yes, but this is one of those areas where spending more does come with advantages. Companies like BC don't put much R&D into their product, and KW V1 is entry level - not saying it's junk and probably considerably better than BC, but there's better options out there. Either way, short sidewalls and stiffer springs/shocks are always going to ride harder than stock and taller side walls and more care and attention needs to be paid while driving. Be mindful of what's coming up and slow down or avoid the bumps and pot holes.
I bought the BC coilovers because at the time I read nothing but good reviews. Wasn't many but they were all good. And they were good price from FCP Euro. I ended up getting rid of the camber plates for the stock top hats and it made a difference. I can deal with the ride/stiffness it has on 98% of bumps. The only issue is some of them are just to much for me. Mainly it is the ones that are like a ledge. For example bridge expansion joints. Where sometimes the bridge shifts upwards from the staionary portion of the bridge and causes a 1-2" ledge. That is the biggest killer. Like the coilovers can't absorb a bump that comes on quick. But if it is a dip in the road then they can. Its weird but hopefully KW v1 fix it. If not then I am gonna look into some 18"s
Appreciate 0