E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Bimmer Geeks Pro Tool

03-31-2020, 02:08 AM   #353
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

New video showing how to code frm module using the ProTool’s app.
Walk around video is being edited. I will try to post tomorrow.

Appreciate 2
      03-31-2020, 12:04 PM   #354
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

I got a new passenger headlight from a forum member on my e82. Its the adaptive xenon's. I put in my old ballast and a new xenon bulb but it won't light on that side only. Does this need to be coded because its a new AHL? Can I use protools to do this? What are the steps?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 12:22 PM   #355
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

You can use ProTool’s to code adaptive modules.
My e90 adaptive modules are blank so they’re not coded in and they still work.

Steps
Main menu
Click safety
Click frm
Click functions
Click code adaptive module.
Also gives you an option to change the right or left module vin, if needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 12:55 PM   #356
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
You can use ProTool’s to code adaptive modules.
My e90 adaptive modules are blank so they’re not coded in and they still work.

Steps
Main menu
Click safety
Click frm
Click functions
Click code adaptive module.
Also gives you an option to change the right or left module vin, if needed.
Thank you this is what I have been looking for. Now what would changing the module vin do? or why would it be needed?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 01:06 PM   #357
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmymoneyincash View Post
Thank you this is what I have been looking for. Now what would changing the module vin do? or why would it be needed?
Not sure.
Similar to adding your vin to a replacement module I assume.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 03:21 PM   #358
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure.
Would the AHL module not being coded on the car cause the headlight not to work? Or just the adaptive portion? I got a tablet and k+dcan cable delivering on Friday and will go at it this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 03:35 PM   #359
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure.
Would the AHL module not being coded on the car cause the headlight not to work? Or just the adaptive portion? I got a tablet and k+dcan cable delivering on Friday and will go at it this weekend.
If your low beam does not work that has nothing to do with the adaptive headlight module. That'd be a symptom of a bad xenon control module of bad low beam D1S bulb
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 03:48 PM   #360
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
If your low beam does not work that has nothing to do with the adaptive headlight module. That'd be a symptom of a bad xenon control module of bad low beam D1S bulb
I figured as much in the beginning too. Its the passenger side that isn't working, bought it used from a forum member. Here is what I did:
- put in both headlights, passenger side low beam not working, AE do work
- swapped ballasts, no low beams work either side, AE do work
- swapped ballasts back, swapped bulbs, driver side does work passenger does not, AE do work
- took the entire driver side headlight, plugged it into the passenger side, DOES work
- took passenger side headlight, plugged into the driver side, does NOT work

It was at this point, I thought it needed to be coded to the car somehow and ended up in this thread... apologies this is my first BMW.

I do have a replacement ballast delivering Friday to test.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 03:55 PM   #361
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I figured as much in the beginning too. Its the passenger side that isn't working, bought it used from a forum member. Here is what I did:
- put in both headlights, passenger side low beam not working, AE do work
- swapped ballasts, no low beams work either side, AE do work
- swapped ballasts back, swapped bulbs, driver side does work passenger does not, AE do work
- took the entire driver side headlight, plugged it into the passenger side, DOES work
- took passenger side headlight, plugged into the driver side, does NOT work

It was at this point, I thought it needed to be coded to the car somehow and ended up in this thread... apologies this is my first BMW.

I do have a replacement ballast delivering Friday to test.
Bit confused to your diagnosis. Angel eye bulb is not related at all to the low beam. Low beam is controlled by two factors: xenon control module which is the square silver module at the bottom of the headlight and the D1S low beam bulb. Before swapping the module, swap the bulb first. If the problem stays then it's the xenon control module. Now, depending on how long it's been out for the low beam could be stuck in short circuit fault which means the frm module is no longer supplying voltage to that light. The problem with the xenon control module or bulb would need to be addressed first and then with tool32, reset shot circuit fault.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 04:13 PM   #362
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bit confused to your diagnosis. Angel eye bulb is not related at all to the low beam. Low beam is controlled by two factors: xenon control module which is the square silver module at the bottom of the headlight and the D1S low beam bulb. Before swapping the module, swap the bulb first. If the problem stays then it's the xenon control module. Now, depending on how long it's been out for the low beam could be stuck in short circuit fault which means the frm module is no longer supplying voltage to that light. The problem with the xenon control module or bulb would need to be addressed first and then with tool32, reset shot circuit fault.
Thanks for the quick response. So the headlight came with no xenon control module, so I resued the one from my broken headlight and got a new xenon bulb. First thing I did was swap the xenon control module because I knew the bulb in the driver side was working, therefore if it did not work, it would be that module, and it did not work. I guess it could be that the xenon control module is bad. But I have a feeling it might be something else. Can Protools reset this short circut fault? I need to also check the cc-id code that its pulling. What should my next steps be
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 05:17 PM   #363
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

you can reset short circuits with ProTool’s.
But if the driver headlight works when plugged into the passenger side, that side is still getting power so the circuits are fine.
Start with this.
Try a known good bulb on driver side with both modules to see if 1 module is bad.
Try a known good module on driver side with both bulbs to see if 1 is bad.
If both bulbs work with only 1 module then that’s the issue and vice versa.

ProTool’s will show faults in the frm(cc-id) but doesn’t go as far as to say what it is.
It might just say right low beam faulty, you have to do the rest.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 04:22 PM   #364
aclearersky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

I imagine this is answered in here somewhere but are you able to code the FRM without issue with this? I have carly but get the warning that coding might brick my FRM. 2011 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 04:36 PM   #365
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclearersky View Post
I imagine this is answered in here somewhere but are you able to code the FRM without issue with this? I have carly but get the warning that coding might brick my FRM. 2011 BMW 335xi
Coding a new frm module in this video.
You can also code lighting options.
Never had an issue.

Quote:
New video showing how to code frm module using the ProTool’s app.
Walk around video is being edited. I will try to post tomorrow.

Last edited by Serf27; 04-05-2020 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 04:37 PM   #366
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, F15 X5, E46

Quote:
I have done a lot of coding in the FRM on mine, and others with no issues at all.

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 04:45 PM   #367
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can literally use any single diagnostic and coding tool and you'll still have a chance of bricking the frm. Carly is not any more dangerous at failing an frm than protools or ista or ncs expert. Faulty frm's will fail regardless of what you use. Carly isn't always 100% correct with their frm check, so it may be fine but 2011+ has frm3 which are very known to be faulty
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #368
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you can reset short circuits with ProTool’s.
But if the driver headlight works when plugged into the passenger side, that side is still getting power so the circuits are fine.
Start with this.
Try a known good bulb on driver side with both modules to see if 1 module is bad.
Try a known good module on driver side with both bulbs to see if 1 is bad.
If both bulbs work with only 1 module then that’s the issue and vice versa.

ProTool’s will show faults in the frm(cc-id) but doesn’t go as far as to say what it is.
It might just say right low beam faulty, you have to do the rest.
So it ended up being a bad module. Before this weekend, I bought a used module off ebay just in case it was the ballast. Took the driver side headlight, plugged it in and turned on the headlight and it worked. So then I swapped the ballast to the other one and the light did not work. So I swapped it with the new one i bought off ebay and it fired right up. Threw that in the passenger side and mounted up both headlight and they work great. No coding needed. Although I do need to find instructions on the correct mounting postion of the headlight and how to adjust the beams because I think both are off slightly.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 06:52 AM   #369
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Will Protools read transmission adaptations? I used to use xHP to read them, but it looks like with their newest update, it just gives you all 0's now...it's not showing the actual values.

Been thinking about getting protools for a while now...if it reads adaptations, then it's a done deal.
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 09:53 PM   #370
Boosted12a
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i x

I just got this app today. I coded my injectors. Pretty simple and easy. Figured it out on my own. Car runs great so I guess I did it right. I'm actually looking forward to finding new tricks to program in to the car now
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 06:46 AM   #371
eggboat
Rep

Spent hours trying to find this answer to no prevail! Will this app allow one to program a new key fob to the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 02:35 PM   #372
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggboat View Post
Spent hours trying to find this answer to no prevail! Will this app allow one to program a new key fob to the vehicle?
No
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 06:13 AM   #373
eggboat
Rep

Thanks! appreciate the info. on the key fob
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 07:33 PM   #374
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggboat View Post
Thanks! appreciate the info. on the key fob
You'll need a key programmer which are not cheap. If you're only looking for 1 key fob and not looking to start offering key programming services it won't be worth it to invest in a programmer for just 1 key. Look around, pricing for keys programmed range anywhere from $150-$300
Appreciate 0