E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > E93 330d LCI - Car starts then dies suddenly?

02-23-2021, 02:40 PM   #1
Grgstudios
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 LCI 330d & 330i

Exclamation E93 330d LCI - Car starts then dies suddenly?

Engine - N57 330D E93 2010 LCI model.
Mileage 100k

Problems - car will crank and start then suddenly die. I have got it to run maybe 2/3 times but it's very very rough! 95% of the time it will not run at all, it will start then suddenly die.

I had a bunch of codes, cleared them and they haven't come back yet. A lot relate to EGR codes? Not sure if a blocked EGR would cause the engine to stall every time it is started?

What I have already done:
- Replaced battery.
- Replaced the LPFP (with a used one). Exact same symptoms still occur.

Video on the issue:
https://youtu.be/3YPT3PV-Mnc

Live data on startups:
https://youtu.be/7Cqns2NVw-c

Is it a blocked DPF? Blocked EGR? I am stuck on where to go now.
Any help would be appreciated!

I brought the car from a salvage auction, it was hit lightly on the passenger side (RHD vehicle) which isn't near the air box and pipes etc? Thought i'd let you know just incase!

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 03:38 AM   #2
jacbo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCI

A blocked or broken EGR can cause stalling especially at idle speeds. It will be letting in too much exhaust gas and not enough fresh air. Plenty of info on here on EGRs.

When I had issues with mine I replaced it but in hindsight i should have deleted it like many people do. Up to you which route you decide to go.

First thing I would do is remove it and clean it, see if that helps. Holts EGR cleaner spray and a brush works well
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 04:24 PM   #3
Grgstudios
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacbo View Post
A blocked or broken EGR can cause stalling especially at idle speeds. It will be letting in too much exhaust gas and not enough fresh air. Plenty of info on here on EGRs.

When I had issues with mine I replaced it but in hindsight i should have deleted it like many people do. Up to you which route you decide to go.

First thing I would do is remove it and clean it, see if that helps. Holts EGR cleaner spray and a brush works well
I suspected the EGR was causing the issue so I ordered the delete kit just incase! Do you think if I remove it and start the car it will cause any damage to the engine? If I manage to block the coolant holes off etc and start it? The EGR blanking kit hasn't arrived yet but eager to get to work on it to see if it definitely is the EGR.

I will give it a good clean, thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 05:48 AM   #4
jacbo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCI

I'm not too sure tbh. I would think the way to check if the EGR is causing the start issue would be to remove it and blank off the hole (if it's same as mine it should be 2 bolts holding it in place).
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 04:07 PM   #5
daniel35d
Who reads these?
Norway
Rep
Drives: 335d E91

The N57 has the notorious Bosch CP4 high pressure diesel pump. People who are into US diesel trucks might be familiar with this. I believe also VAG and Volvo use these.

Those are known to grenade themself, which spreads particles through the entire fuel system. Clogs up injectors, filters, pumps and the tank will usually also have alot of this in it.

Try removing this valve (number 2) and check if there is debris stuck to the filter or inside the pump.

02-26-2021, 05:41 AM   #6
Grgstudios
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel35d View Post
The N57 has the notorious Bosch CP4 high pressure diesel pump. People who are into US diesel trucks might be familiar with this. I believe also VAG and Volvo use these.

Those are known to grenade themself, which spreads particles through the entire fuel system. Clogs up injectors, filters, pumps and the tank will usually also have alot of this in it.

Try removing this valve (number 2) and check if there is debris stuck to the filter or inside the pump.

Hi! Thanks for your reply.

I have replaced the LPFP therefore I have seen inside the fuel tank - from what I can remember the tank looks pretty clean. I didn't notice any strange debris floating around inside it? Is it safe to say that I can write the HPFP off?

I will have a look anyways, thanks for the help. Really do not want it to be the HPFP!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 08:52 AM   #7
daniel35d
Who reads these?
Norway
Rep
Drives: 335d E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grgstudios View Post
Hi! Thanks for your reply.

I have replaced the LPFP therefore I have seen inside the fuel tank - from what I can remember the tank looks pretty clean. I didn't notice any strange debris floating around inside it? Is it safe to say that I can write the HPFP off?

I will have a look anyways, thanks for the help. Really do not want it to be the HPFP!
I don't know. I'd check the valve if it's not too much of a hassle.