E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Suggestions for FMIC emissions legal for CA?

02-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #23
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Nobody is going to look at the intercooler during an inspection.
      02-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #24
alpineweissm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

So we've established that we're probably okay getting an intercooler through smog, but what about an aftermarket charge pipe? Perhaps even one using the factory diverters?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #25
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweissm View Post
So we've established that we're probably okay getting an intercooler through smog, but what about an aftermarket charge pipe? Perhaps even one using the factory diverters?
Charge pipe is fine as well
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #26
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
People need to realize smog techs aren't trained to do in-depth inspections on vehicles in CA. Assuming most have anything other than the rudimentary skills necessary to do their testing correctly is giving most of them way too much credit.

That isn't to say there aren't some mechanically inclined smog techs out there, but even most of them can't recognize, or would even care about, most performance mods on most vehicles, unless the mods are so obvious that the techs think they might get in trouble by NOT reporting them.

Think about the 100s of different vehicles makes, models, years, etc, and people will hopefully realize they're asking a lot for any minimally-trained smog tech to recognize mods of any sort.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 09:55 PM   #27
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob View Post
People need to realize smog techs aren't trained to do in-depth inspections on vehicles in CA. Assuming most have anything other than the rudimentary skills necessary to do their testing correctly is giving most of them way too much credit.

That isn't to say there aren't some mechanically inclined smog techs out there, but even most of them can't recognize, or would even care about, most performance mods on most vehicles, unless the mods are so obvious that the techs think they might get in trouble by NOT reporting them.

Think about the 100s of different vehicles makes, models, years, etc, and people will hopefully realize they're asking a lot for any minimally-trained smog tech to recognize mods of any sort.
I've seen one pull out a book. I'm assuming it is some kind of guide. Don't exactly know what's in there, but looked like stock pictures IIRC when I took a quick peek.....

Anyways, the CARB rules are clear on the intercooler, but sometimes I run into a smog tech that seems just itching to fail me. (I didn't ever go back to that one. Was looking at the drycharger on my K&N intake filter on a '99 GS400 like it was a no-no.)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #28
tunachris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92

Garage List
2010 E92  [0.00]
I got nailed for an aftermarket charge pipe/ BOV. I even took off the DCI, and put the stock airbox back on. Told the technician that the POS factory charge pipe was plastic, and twice the price of an all metal replacement. Didn't seem to care, and still charged me, aven though he failed me. What a scam!!!
      02-12-2017, 11:41 AM   #29
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

You seem near enough. Can try RedBox in Alhambra. At least a reasonable price. I take all the cars in the household there....
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 06:57 PM   #30
Tonto_Goldstein
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Not true. I failed the inspection because of aftermarket charge pipe and BOV. However, TBH I think the guy said if I put the diverter valves back on the charge pipe would be okay. But the charge pipe I bought only supported the BOV so I had to return to stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 11:19 AM   #31
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonto_Goldstein View Post
Not true. I failed the inspection because of aftermarket charge pipe and BOV. However, TBH I think the guy said if I put the diverter valves back on the charge pipe would be okay. But the charge pipe I bought only supported the BOV so I had to return to stock.
Correct, the charge pipe is an aluminum pipe that won't affect emission. I guess under Carb laws, the BOV is not legal?
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2021, 11:32 AM   #32
Dave92N54
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonto_Goldstein View Post
Correct, the charge pipe is an aluminum pipe that won't affect emission. I guess under Carb laws, the BOV is not legal?
It's because VTA, so if you have DVs set to VTA as well that could possibly fail you.
      02-24-2021, 12:45 PM   #33
Vivek.
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
I'm quite sure that technically speaking, an aluminum charge pipe would not be smog legal, simply because it is a modification of the intake system which is illegal unless CARB-certified. It really depends on how much the tech cares, they do have a book with diagrams of what stock looks like, but for these newer cars they just do a cursory visual inspection and then scan the OBD.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 05:59 PM   #34
lookalikehuuh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

I just smogged my car last month.

I have

*AFE dual intakes (that may or may or may not have burger tuning CARB sticker on them nobody steal my idea)
*VSRF 5 inch intercooler
*Forge Diverter Valves
*BMS alum Chargepipe
*gutted OE mufflers

No issues with smog or anything like that was in and out in like 5min roughly.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 06:18 PM   #35
Vivek.
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
I just smogged my car last month.

I have

*AFE dual intakes (that may or may or may not have burger tuning CARB sticker on them nobody steal my idea)
*VSRF 5 inch intercooler
*Forge Diverter Valves
*BMS alum Chargepipe
*gutted OE mufflers

No issues with smog or anything like that was in and out in like 5min roughly.
I genuinely wonder if I could put carb stickers on a single turbo and convince at least one cop it's not worth a BAR referral
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 03:53 PM   #36
nickf30n55
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

ive been state refed basically what the ref told me was it all depends on the ref you get charge pipes and intercoolers are viewed as a repair/replacement if they came in your vehicle in the first place. For example, you replaced the charge pipes with an aftermarket one made out of metal to prevent it from cracking again. Its perfectly legal to make your own replacement parts it all depends on the person inspecting your car.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:59 AM   #37
lookalikehuuh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
I genuinely wonder if I could put carb stickers on a single turbo and convince at least one cop it's not worth a BAR referral
There's only 1 way to find out, you want to be the guinea pig?
Appreciate 2
      Today, 12:08 PM   #38
Vivek.
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickf30n55 View Post
ive been state refed basically what the ref told me was it all depends on the ref you get charge pipes and intercoolers are viewed as a repair/replacement if they came in your vehicle in the first place. For example, you replaced the charge pipes with an aftermarket one made out of metal to prevent it from cracking again. Its perfectly legal to make your own replacement parts it all depends on the person inspecting your car.
Do you (or anyone seeing this) know if they can do a BAR referral on, say, a car owned by an LLC out of Montana? Or any other out-of-state reg situation
Appreciate 0