E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > What's the deal with M3 Steering wheels?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #1
pjr710
Lieutenant
26
Rep
497
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

What's the deal with M3 Steering wheels?

I have a sport steering wheel in my e92 this one https://www.e90post.com/forums/attac...mentid=1068222

It's wearing (not awfully) but it would be nice to replace it with a nice upgraded one.

I want something that's completely plug and play. I've been looking at ebay https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...LH_TitleDesc=0

And there are so many options, it seems like multiple models.

Which ones can I use as a plug and play?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:35 AM   #2
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
11931
Rep
3,342
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjr710 View Post
I have a sport steering wheel in my e92 this one https://www.e90post.com/forums/attac...mentid=1068222

It's wearing (not awfully) but it would be nice to replace it with a nice upgraded one.

I want something that's completely plug and play. I've been looking at ebay https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...LH_TitleDesc=0

And there are so many options, it seems like multiple models.

Which ones can I use as a plug and play?
So long as you already have the sport wheel, then any OEM M3 wheel will work just fine and everything will swap right over.

Something to note - if you have the heated steering wheel option, none of the M3 steering wheels are heated, just so you know.
__________________
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
tcphoto
Major
555
Rep
1,033
Posts

Drives: E92 335i MT Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Madison, GA

iTrader: (0)

I would suggest looking at Coby Wheel at $225 for a refinished Alcantara wheel with core exchange.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #4
pjr710
Lieutenant
26
Rep
497
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
So long as you already have the sport wheel, then any OEM M3 wheel will work just fine and everything will swap right over.

Something to note - if you have the heated steering wheel option, none of the M3 steering wheels are heated, just so you know.
It's not heated ... so I see that some wheels it looks like you just replace the "horn area" and others looks like it doesn't come w/ that faceplate w/ the buttons.

So for me I have the option of using my faceplate as well?

It seems like there are so many variations.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #5
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
11931
Rep
3,342
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjr710 View Post
It's not heated ... so I see that some wheels it looks like you just replace the "horn area" and others looks like it doesn't come w/ that faceplate w/ the buttons.

So for me I have the option of using my faceplate as well?

It seems like there are so many variations.
There really arn't more than 4 variations

1) Base steering wheel
2) Sport steering wheel
3) M-sport steering wheel
4) M3 steering wheel

Options 2 through 4 are all interchangeable. The only caveat is to make sure you are getting an automatic or manual steering wheel to match what transmission you have to avoid unnecessary work.

Any of the steering wheel controls or trim covers are completely interchangeable between options 2-4.

If you just get a wheel and nothing else, simply swap over your current trim and buttons. It doesn't take more than 15-20 minutes to do the full swap over. Pulling the old wheel out, removing the airbag, swapping over all buttons and trim and reinstalling the new wheel can easily be done in about an hour.

Very simple to do.
__________________
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:31 PM   #6
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
6ixSpd's Avatar
Canada
4350
Rep
5,685
Posts

Drives: '12 M3, '12 135i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: 416

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
There really arn't more than 4 variations

1) Base steering wheel
2) Sport steering wheel
3) M-sport steering wheel
4) M3 steering wheel

Options 2 through 4 are all interchangeable. The only caveat is to make sure you are getting an automatic or manual steering wheel to match what transmission you have to avoid unnecessary work.

Any of the steering wheel controls or trim covers are completely interchangeable between options 2-4.

If you just get a wheel and nothing else, simply swap over your current trim and buttons. It doesn't take more than 15-20 minutes to do the full swap over. Pulling the old wheel out, removing the airbag, swapping over all buttons and trim and reinstalling the new wheel can easily be done in about an hour.

Very simple to do.
I'd also add that options 3 and 4 have a slightly different steering wheel cover trim. it's a bit more chiselled than the rounded regular Sport steering wheel ones. See the photo below, the M Sport one is more of a angular shape as it wraps around the buttons towards the center lower spoke. The Sport one curves all the way through.

__________________
'12 M3 6MT | Alpine White + Fox Red Extended

Appreciate 1
Run Silent11931.00

      02-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #7
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
11931
Rep
3,342
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
I'd also add that options 3 and 4 have a slightly different steering wheel cover trim. it's a bit more chiselled than the rounded regular Sport steering wheel ones. See the photo below, the M Sport one is more of a angular shape as it wraps around the buttons towards the center lower spoke. The Sport one curves all the way through.
Yes - this is true, although both will cinch down tight on any of the wheels in question.
__________________
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 03:54 PM   #8
pjr710
Lieutenant
26
Rep
497
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
There really arn't more than 4 variations

1) Base steering wheel
2) Sport steering wheel
3) M-sport steering wheel
4) M3 steering wheel

Options 2 through 4 are all interchangeable. The only caveat is to make sure you are getting an automatic or manual steering wheel to match what transmission you have to avoid unnecessary work.

Any of the steering wheel controls or trim covers are completely interchangeable between options 2-4.

If you just get a wheel and nothing else, simply swap over your current trim and buttons. It doesn't take more than 15-20 minutes to do the full swap over. Pulling the old wheel out, removing the airbag, swapping over all buttons and trim and reinstalling the new wheel can easily be done in about an hour.

Very simple to do.
Ok .. I'm getting confused on the M Sport and M3 wheel I believe.

What do most people end up going with?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #9
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
11931
Rep
3,342
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjr710 View Post
Ok .. I'm getting confused on the M Sport and M3 wheel I believe.

What do most people end up going with?
M-Sport: Perforated Dakota Leather
M3: Smooth Nappa Leather

Both are the same thickness. M-Sport and M3 are the same steering wheels. M3 just has the different leather material and tri-colored stitching

Pics below:

M-Sport Wheel



M3 Wheel
__________________
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 07:13 PM   #10
pjr710
Lieutenant
26
Rep
497
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
M-Sport: Perforated Dakota Leather
M3: Smooth Nappa Leather

Both are the same thickness. M-Sport and M3 are the same steering wheels. M3 just has the different leather material and tri-colored stitching

Pics below:

M-Sport Wheel



M3 Wheel
Very helpful. And how do these compare to my sport steering wheel? Material and dimension wise?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #11
pjr710
Lieutenant
26
Rep
497
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
The M-Sport and M3 wheels are the same thickness. The M3 wheel is smooth nappa leather and the M-Sport wheel is smooth nappa and perforated leather. The M3 wheel also has the tri-color stitching.

The standard sport wheel is grained dakota leather and a little bit thinner, but not so much as the base wheel.

All three wheels are 370mm in diameter (about 14.5 inches).

Note that the M-Sport and M3 steering wheels do not have a heated option, so if your current steering wheel is heated, you will lose that feature. If you want to retain that feature, then the next option is to have it recovered in nappa leather like the M3 wheel. This is what I ended up doing and was very happy - cost was about $200 or so.

Photo of my wheel below:

What's the cheapest option here? I am not sold on necessarily an m3 or msport wheel vs my sport wheel, but since my sport wheel is wearing .. what is the cheapest or some of the "cheaper" solutions?

I would need minimal downtime as it's my DD
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST