E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Valved Exhaust Options

04-06-2021, 02:29 PM   #1
weshascar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White E92 M3

Valved Exhaust Options

Hello all,

I currently have the Remus Race axle-back exhaust for my E92 335i. I have a CES bottom mount single turbo kit as well, so a catless downpipe. I have the factory midpipe and secondary cats. I really love the sound of my current setup, but am considering switching to a valved setup to quiet the car down sometimes. I do have a quad diffuser, so most of these exhausts will have to be modified to allow for quad tips.

For reference, back when I had the OEM twin turbos I had a catless downpipe and a muffler delete and I hated the sound of that.

My goal for a valved setup is to have OEM-ish volume with valves closed and similar sound to my remus race exhaust with valves open. I don't just want a straight pipe with valves open.

As far as valved exhaust is concerned, it looks like I have the following options:

The turner valved axle back. This exhaust looks really nice and probably where I am leaning. I have only seen one video on this exhaust and they do not show the sound with valves closed. If anyone knows of more clips of this exhaust. I would love to see. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5U5jhlbrLo

The IPE valved exhaust. I like the sound of this exhaust, but cannot find a valves closed video. I also don't think it can be sold as an axle back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5w2aS-q7dI

The FI valved exhaust. I like the sound of this exhaust, both open and closed valve. However, I don't believe this can be sold as an axle back either. I also don't know if it is still available to be purchased. I emailed them a while ago and no response. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCIx71tVSlo

The Bomiz exhaust. This exhaust checks all the boxes for me, but the only video I can find of it is not very good. I can only really hear the burble tune on the car and not much of the exhaust sound itself. I also don't know if this can be sold as an axleback. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsrpT2cKz6E

A custom valvetronic setup using two of their universal mufflers. I don't have any reference for a setup like this. From my understanding opening the valves just makes it a straight pipe, which I don't want.

Curious if anyone has more knowledge or opinions on any of these setups. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 10:13 AM   #2
Yotaismygame
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (Beam)

I have a similar thread just a couple threads down....

Good luck getting any legit replies about valved exhaust.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2021, 12:38 AM   #3
weshascar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotaismygame View Post

Ya I was looking at that thread and was just hoping I could find some people with experience with any of the exhausts I mentioned above.

2012 Alpine White E92 M3 Coupe w/ Fox Red Extended Leather
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 08:16 PM   #4
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue-e92 View Post
Ya I was looking at that thread and was just hoping I could find some people with experience with any of the exhausts I mentioned above.
Quote:

Bump

I just started going down the valved exhaust rabbit hole myself the past few days. From what I gathered you don't want the Bomiz exhaust then as when the valves are open that is simply a straight pipe exhaust. I'm not a fan of that 'valvetronic' exhaust either..

The Turner and Frequency Intelligent exhausts are pretty much identical in design, the FI though from what I can tell is louder in dB compared to the Turner. I spoke with Kyle over there at ECS/Turner and he said their catback compared to the Dinan, if Dinan was a 50, then their exhaust with valves closed is like a 15-20, and valves open would be close to 75-80. I had the yt videos of both exhaust up going back and forth and they sound really really similarly pitched, just FI being louder and more aggressive.

AutoTalent Is the FI exhaust for the e92 n54 still available for purchase?

Otherwise I'd say Turner is a really good option. I just wish they had better exhaust tips, I can't for the life of me find a decent exhaust tip that looks like Dinan's, single wall straight cut black... oh well.

Oh ya, shipping weight for the Turner is 50lb, so minus packaging exhaust is roughly 45lb altogether.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete

Last edited by BSM n54iS; 07-13-2021 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 09:03 PM   #5
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue-e92 View Post
Quote:

Bump

I just started going down the valved exhaust rabbit hole myself the past few days. From what I gathered you don't want the Bomiz exhaust then as when the valves are open that is simply a straight pipe exhaust. I'm not a fan of that 'valvetronic' exhaust either..

The Turner and Frequency Intelligent exhausts are pretty much identical in design, the FI though from what I can tell is louder in dB compared to the Turner. I spoke with Kyle over there at ECS/Turner and he said their catback compared to the Dinan, if Dinan was a 50, then their exhaust with valves closed is like a 15-20, and valves open would be close to 75-80. I had the yt videos of both exhaust up going back and forth and they sound really really similarly pitched, just FI being louder and more aggressive.

AutoTalent Is the FI exhaust for the e92 n54 still available for purchase?

Otherwise I'd say Turner is a really good option. I just wish they had better exhaust tips, I can't for the life of me find a decent exhaust tip that looks like Dinan's, single wall straight cut black... oh well.

Oh ya, shipping weight for the Turner is 50lb, so minus packaging exhaust is roughly 45lb altogether.
Mashimarho has some nice looking universal tips if you check out their website. Some are a tad pricy tho and not sure on the size you need.
      07-13-2021, 09:19 PM   #6
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
Mashimarho has some nice looking universal tips if you check out their website. Some are a tad pricy tho and not sure on the size you need.
Yaaa I mean there's only 3 options, 2 of which have ///m logo. The other one is a 4" outlet which is the largest you want, what I have now. Standard is 2.5 in 3.5 out which is what I'm looking for, straight cut. That is an option if it comes down to it though, the cf doesn't look bad at all.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2021, 01:59 PM   #7
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Also considering a valved exhaust setup. My ATM paired with catless down pipes sounds fine, but I want the option for it to be more or less tame depending on my situation.
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 02:59 PM   #8
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Sooo eh, ya I got a quote on the Fi exhaust direct from manufacturer

I don't think even I'm crazy enough for that..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 03:38 PM   #9
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Lol
How much if you don't mind me asking? I can imagine, i have mainly seen FI exhausts on exotics or high end cars.
      07-14-2021, 03:49 PM   #10
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

I'm gonna guess around 3k give or take
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 05:11 PM   #11
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soden82 View Post
Keep guessing
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 05:19 PM   #12
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Keep guessing
Higher??! That's nuts. If I had an m car or an exotic, I'd consider it but not for my 335i
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 05:42 PM   #13
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Higher??! That's nuts. If I had an m car or an exotic, I'd consider it but not for my 335i
Right! The Fi sounds like sex.. but even still, I've had sex before and I'm not needing to pay for that again

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the number, it's a little more than the 1M exhaust ffs!! Plus tips on top are extra, oh and if you're unable to pickup from Taiwan and need shipping, that'll be some extra too...

I might call AutoTalent tomorrow and say what they can do, I've seen them install a few of these on other bmw platforms and sell every fi offering on their site except ours for some reason
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 06:28 PM   #14
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Keep guessing
I'm guessing 8-10k lol
      07-14-2021, 10:25 PM   #15
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm guessing 8-10k lol
No not quite thankfully lol

But I am really starting to want this now
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 08:44 PM   #16
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm guessing 8-10k lol
No not quite thankfully lol

But I am really starting to want this now
I listened to some videos today of some 335's with the Fi exhaust. Honestly it sounds damn close to my Corsa exhaust with catless dps.
The Fi might be a tad louder but I swear the tone is almost the same . However the corsa does not have remote valves, it's more pressure controlled. Really barks around 3000rpm and upwards. Highway cruising in 6th sounds stock. Love the zero drone.