E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bmw expert advice needed

10-22-2020, 12:51 PM   #1
Moshbmw
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 318 2007 petrol

Bmw expert advice needed

Hello all,

I am having rough start ups on my bmw 318i 2007. Takes a couple of attempts before it finally starts.

Here are a few pics from inpa.

Was hoping for some opinions.

Have changed the cam pos sensors already.

Only thing I found unusual was the camshaft adaptations(nockenwellen adaptations)

I thank you in advance for your help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 01:55 AM   #2
stevesingo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i MSport 6MT

1. Easy check would be remove VANOS solenoids, clean and re-fit in opposing locations (In to Ex, Ex to In) and re-check If the adaptations show Ex as the problem then the solenoid is faulty.

2. Check the oil filter is fitted correctly with the cage and o rings present.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 09:50 AM   #3
Moshbmw
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesingo View Post
1. Easy check would be remove VANOS solenoids, clean and re-fit in opposing locations (In to Ex, Ex to In) and re-check If the adaptations show Ex as the problem then the solenoid is faulty.

2. Check the oil filter is fitted correctly with the cage and o rings present.
Swapped and cleaned solenoids. Makes no difference.

Oil filter cage is there.

The cam position readout on inpa show them as the same.

But the cam position adaptation are off. What could this be? Is it is just an adaptation can i not clear this or adjust this into the green.

Or is this a timing issue?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 10:10 AM   #4
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

Is your starter good? Catches and turns the engine every time?

Battery good? Starter doesn't strain?

Not saying you aren't on the right track but highlighting one thing in Inpa will focus people`s attention - lots of things can cause a bad start! Explain how the start is bad and you may get more opinions on what it could be - If you were right I owe you a beer for the distraction
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 10:36 AM   #5
Moshbmw
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
Is your starter good? Catches and turns the engine every time?

Battery good? Starter doesn't strain?

Not saying you aren't on the right track but highlighting one thing in Inpa will focus people`s attention - lots of things can cause a bad start! Explain how the start is bad and you may get more opinions on what it could be - If you were right I owe you a beer for the distraction
😂so i insert key, foot on brake and press start button. It starts instantly, engine runs, idle goes up then down below 600rpm then cuts out.

Try again, same.

Try again, it might level out and stay running.

Other times, I will have to tough the gas to keep the rpm around 1000 for 5-10 seconds to(what feels like) allow the engine to get past whatever the starting issue is, then let go of accelerator. Then car runs.

Rpm sits around 600 and idles ok.

I think at this point the engine sounds even and ok. But I am far from being an expert.

So I think the starter motor is ok.

Someone said, clean o2 sensors. Someone else said clear all adaptations.

But I don't want to mess about with it too much and cause further problems.

Also am scared to drive it, if in fact the timing has jumped a tooth as I don't want the valves and pistons to smash into each other.

Thoughts please?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 11:03 AM   #6
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

Ah the manual choke mod! Winning dude!

I`m sure someone will come along to tell you how to uninstall it soon

If the car is smooth once warm you are probs good - seems to me its a breathing issue when cold. New to these cars (but not cars) so cant suggest a fix. I hope the further details means others can help
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 12:58 PM   #7
Moshbmw
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
Ah the manual choke mod! Winning dude!

I`m sure someone will come along to tell you how to uninstall it soon

If the car is smooth once warm you are probs good - seems to me its a breathing issue when cold. New to these cars (but not cars) so cant suggest a fix. I hope the further details means others can help
Manual choke😂👏🏽

I hope someone has experience with this or can interpret the data and say,

try this, this, this, ahhh. Then its xyz thats the problem.

For now, I am gonna give the maf sensor and o2 sensors a clean for good measure.

Then test out the valvetronic solenoids with a mulitmeter.

I already have a new valvetronic motor and eccentric shaft sensor installed.

I have also changed the every fuse under the compartment under the hood/bonnet fusebox.

From there, I have no choice but to redo the timing chain, if I do this, I will redo the gears/sprockets/vanos gears at the top end of each camshaft and the sprocket/gear at the bottom.

Am hoping its all sorted somewhere along that journey, hopefully before I change/re time the timing chain.

Beyond the only other thing I can thing of is a dying ecu or ecu wiring.

Was really hoping for some senior forum bmw expert members to give me there 2 cents. It is school half term so Everyone is prob abit busy.

Thank you everyone for your input thus far.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 05:25 AM   #8
stevesingo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i MSport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshbmw View Post

But the cam position adaptation are off. What could this be? Is it is just an adaptation can i not clear this or adjust this into the green.

INPA has a VANOS Test function where you can set a cam angle and the ECU aims for it. Can't remember the name (in German for it) as it has been a while.

Open you phone with Google translate and go through each function in turn translating the function until you find it.

When you do, the cam angle should quickly hit target. If it does, then all is good. If it cannot, you may be in the worn timing chain tensioner world of pain.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 05:30 AM   #9
Moshbmw
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesingo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshbmw View Post

INPA has a VANOS Test function where you can set a cam angle and the ECU aims for it. Can't remember the name (in German for it) as it has been a while.

Open you phone with Google translate and go through each function in turn translating the function until you find it.

When you do, the cam angle should quickly hit target. If it does, then all is good. If it cannot, you may be in the worn timing chain tensioner world of pain.
Nice one. I will give that a go.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 03:12 AM   #10
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Very unlikely to be related to o2 sensor, as they are ignored until they heat up.

If it's a maf problem you can just unplug the maf and see if it runs right. I doubt it is, but at least it's very simple to test.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #11
Moshbmw
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Very unlikely to be related to o2 sensor, as they are ignored until they heat up.

If it's a maf problem you can just unplug the maf and see if it runs right. I doubt it is, but at least it's very simple to test.
Ok. Update.

Have had the timing redone. No it starts perfectly. That was the main issue.

Then it was laggy. Checked codes. Showed o2 sensor bad. Changed both. No it drives dramatically better.

But there is still abit of lag. When accelerating, there seems to be a slight lag in the gear changes- its an auto.

It is alot more responsive and powerful than before and i could just be happy with it. But I can feel its not 100%.

Another issues has come up. Auxiliary water pump failure. I will be checking the fuse(not sure which fuse yet) if that doesn't sort it, will change the pump. But that should not impact upon gear changes.

Next I am thinking, reset gearbox adaptations.

2 issues at the moment. Slight lag between gear changes in auto.

And sometimes the idles bounces about abit.

Have changed both vanos solenoids for original bmw. Will be looking at the oil filter cap this week.

Any thoughts or guidance?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 03:44 PM   #12
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

The car will run fine basically permanently without a functional aux water pump. You can replace just the brushes on the pump motor if you're a bit handy/patient. The brushes aren't super common, but are available on eBay. If I remember right they're 5 x 5 x 10mm. You probably won't find exactly the same ones, but they must be 5x5mm to fit in the holders.

I did this recently on my partner's car - it had shown the code for almost 3 years.

You probably want to service the gearbox, and change the filer/pan, but I'm no expert there.
Appreciate 0