E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is this related to the vanos?

08-19-2022, 03:04 AM   #1
E90canada66
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sulev N51

Is this related to the vanos?

Hi
Is this information shown in the image related to the vanos?
Thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 12:43 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90canada66 View Post
Hi
Is this information shown in the image related to the vanos?
Thank you
NO. Your "Tool" screen states "VVT Monitor Bank 2". You don't say what vehicle, or what function the "Tool" is trying to perform. If this relates to an N51 Engine, that has only ONE cylinder bank, and ONE Valvetronic (VVT Eccentric Shaft & Sensor. If it were referring to Cam Advance, it SHOULD say "A" or Intake for Intake cam, OR "B" or Exhaust for Exhaust cam. The Angle would also be in the 80 to 115 degree range.

Some folks confuse VVT (Valvetronic -- Throttle Function) with VANOS which controls Cam Position (Timing Retard/Advance). If your "Creader 3100" has NO Manual or documentation that explains its function, perhaps you should try INPA/ISTA. Here's a link to the 16-page manual if you don't have one:
https://www.google.com/search?q=crea...hrome&ie=UTF-8

My SWAG would be your "Tool" is trying to test Eccentric Shaft Angle (Min/Max), and the Actual Angle (in degrees) is NOT matching the "Target" angle, OR that the Shaft Angle is NOT what is expected, resulting in "Fail" Status.

If your Tool can display Live Data (which Manual suggests it CAN), what is Eccentric Shaft Angle (VVT Angle) with Ignition ON and engine NOT running?
What is that angle with engine running at idle, and what is RPM at the time you read that Shaft Angle?

My N52 has ESS angle (Eccentric Shaft Sensor signal to DME) of ~ 45 degrees in Startup position with Engine OFF, but Ignition ON. It has angle of ~ 23 degrees at 720 RPM.

If you want to provide details on what performance issues, Fault Codes, Warning Lights, etc. you have, AND provide the Last-7 Characters of your VIN, we can suggest what to test.
George
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 03:32 PM   #3
E90canada66
Registered
Rep

Hi George,
thank you for taking the time to reply and the information provided I appreciate it.

The car is a 2008 328i SULEV N51 with 149,000 kms.

I have not driven this car for basically 2 years. Returned to Canada and have been trying to get it going.

It was running extremely roughly, basically undriveable.

There was a whistling sound and oil leaks from the valve cover gasket. I found oil in the intake manifold.

I have replaced the valve cover with integrated PCV and valve cover gasket. No more leaks and no whistling sound.

When I removed the valve cover I also removed the eccentric shaft sensor and it was covered in dirty oil. I didnt replace it as the only place in town that had one wanted $700 for this part. So I put it back in and worked on the following and hoped for the best.

Removed and cleaned the fuel injectors, vanos and MAF. Car was running better but not much. I am the third owner of the car and I dont know if these parts have ever been replaced.

Then removed and cleaned the camshaft position sensor which was covered in dirty oil.
Car is running much much much better.

It still misfires and is not quite right.

These are the codes showing:

P0012 "A Camshaft position - Timing over-retarded Bank 1"
P13B4 "The fault code is not found in the database"
PO174 "System too lean bank 2"
P0303 "Cylinder 3 misfire detected"
P0301 "Cylinder 1 misfire deteceted"
P0442 "Evaporative emission leak detected (small leak)"

I am using a very cheap and inappropriate scanner I know. The tool displays Live Data option as well as some others but then says "not supported" and doesnt work.

I want to sell this car as I am not staying in Canada. I will take it to a BMW mechanic for a proper look over but before that I was hoping to fix as much as I could myself to keep the bill down

Last 7 digits of VIN are FZ82555

Car was originally sold and registered in California. I am sure I read online somewhere years ago that BMW north america needs to honor the 15 year warranty for SULEV vehicles even if they are no longer in the state they were sold it. But I doubt they would

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 03:49 PM   #4
E90canada66
Registered
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 11:29 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90canada66 View Post
... 2008 328i SULEV N51 with 149,000 kms. not driven this car for basically 2 years... removed and cleaned the camshaft position sensor which was covered in dirty oil. [Intake Cam or Exhaust Cam?] Car is running much much much better. It still misfires and is not quite right. These are the codes showing:
P0012 "A Camshaft position - Timing over-retarded Bank 1"
P13B4 "The fault code is not found in the database" [Intake Cam Signal NOT correlating with Crankshaft Sensor Signal?]
PO174 "System too lean bank 2"
P0303 "Cylinder 3 misfire detected"
P0301 "Cylinder 1 misfire deteceted"
P0442 "Evaporative emission leak detected (small leak)" [NOT relevant to engine performance]
... Last 7 digits of VIN are FZ82555...
Still seems to be an issue with the INTAKE Cam Position Sensor, likely the connector or its wiring. You may also have a Vacuum Leak causing lean running, but that usually ALSO causes P0171 for SAME lean condition on Bank 1 (cylinders 1,2,3.) Perhaps a leaking/cracked hose from Valve Cover to Intake Manifold.

If you can get a Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA) that can read Live Data, it would be helpful to view Intake Cam Sensor Signal (cam angle) as received by DME, and also MAF Sensor Signal (both at idle), and correlate your readings with a vehicle with NO issues.

I would carefully examine the Intake Cam Sensor pins and Connector Sockets for any damage, corrosion, etc., and electrically test the wiring between the Sensor and DME Connector using a multimeter. Test for short to chassis ground, and continuity, as well as ohms resistance. If you need suggestions on HOW to test, please advise.

I will attach (to NEXT Post) ISTA ScreenPrints of "Valve Gear" SSP, showing Intake Cam Sensor wiring to DME, Connector Location & View, and DME Connector X60007 where sensor wiring connects to DME, Pins 11 & 24 of connector X60007 at the DME. Please let us know what you find.
George
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 11:33 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Attached are 4 ISTA ScreenPrints of Valve Gear (Intake Cam Sensor) SSP wiring, Location & Connector View,
for 2008 N51, as discussed in prior post.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0