E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique

05-08-2009, 04:07 AM   #287
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthibodeau View Post
I've read this amazing thread from front to back and have learned soo much. Thank you!

The one topic that I didn't see in this thread, however, is regarding where you should wash the car. I know in Calgary, you can't wash anything down the sewer, so washing in the driveway with all of the soap and products used for tire cleaning, etc. could result in a hefty fine if someone decided to report it (not to mention that I'd like to be environmentally friendly).

Where would you recommend washing if the driveway isn't an option?

Thanks.
there are plenty of eco friendly car washes out there now. and if not in your driveway, somewhere under the shade should be okay
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #288
3me
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6spd mt 325i

Question

Although I am 19, I have been detailing cars for dealerships and private parties for years. If a car does need wheel cleaner, could you not just use the extra car soap from the initial wash of the paint to clean the wells? a whole other little bucket of soap seems a little wasteful. Just a thought ha because that is what i do. Maybe i am just too lazy
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #289
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiszka2000 View Post
I have some Zaino Z2 and Z5 purchased in the spring of 2003. Can I use it?
Sal Zaino has said before that Z2/Z5 optimal shelf life is 5 years. You're on 6 right now. I'd go ahead and use the stuff you have now anyway. Should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fai View Post
Thank you for an excellent guide! I'm making my list before I go to CT and go products shopping as I'm reading this! This is an awesome guide, thank you again!

One question though, I checked CT website and I noticed that there's a lot of mother's product listed there. You mentioned in your guide to get a large jug of Mothers California Gold wash for the car wash. Which one is it? >> Link <<

Any good car wash will do the trick. Now CT also carries the big jugs of Meguiars gold Class car wash. Very nice stuff. I recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthibodeau View Post
I've read this amazing thread from front to back and have learned soo much. Thank you!

The one topic that I didn't see in this thread, however, is regarding where you should wash the car. I know in Calgary, you can't wash anything down the sewer, so washing in the driveway with all of the soap and products used for tire cleaning, etc. could result in a hefty fine if someone decided to report it (not to mention that I'd like to be environmentally friendly).

Thanks.
Good question. To be honest, we don't have that problem here in Toronto, so I've never thought about it. You may want to wash your car at a coin operated car wash place. Just bring your own soap, mitts, and buckets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3me View Post
Although I am 19, I have been detailing cars for dealerships and private parties for years. If a car does need wheel cleaner, could you not just use the extra car soap from the initial wash of the paint to clean the wells? a whole other little bucket of soap seems a little wasteful. Just a thought ha because that is what i do. Maybe i am just too lazy
Yes, you could. But there are problems with doing this:

1. Wheels are painted just like the paint on a car. Using nasty leftover dirty water from washing the paint will most likely scratch the finish on the wheels. Not a good thing.

2. Forgetting about point #1 all together, it's always better to wash the wheels first, then the car after. When washing wheels last, you run the risk of getting dirt onto your clean paint when rinsing off the dirty wheels.

Now, in terms of using a wash soap instead of a dedicated wheel cleaner, I agree with you. Use wheel cleaners sparingly and only if necessary. If you keep on top of your wheels, then car wash soap should be enough to clean them.

To all, my apologies the lack of response in this thread. It appears I have stopped receiving email notifications from the forum. In addition, I don't visit too often anymore.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #290
818M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Geo Metro

question

i wanna go ahead and start using the zaino products.I am a newbie at all this and wanted to get started doing this on my own..my car color is black mettalic and i wanted to know exactly wat i would need.can i do the polishing by hand or do i have to buy the optical ?? also wats the steps in removing very light scratches and swirl marks?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #291
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 818M3 View Post
i wanna go ahead and start using the zaino products.I am a newbie at all this and wanted to get started doing this on my own..my car color is black mettalic and i wanted to know exactly wat i would need.can i do the polishing by hand or do i have to buy the optical ?? also wats the steps in removing very light scratches and swirl marks?

Thanks!!
See post #1 in this thread. It will answer all your questions and then some.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #292
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
nm, answered in other post.

Last edited by MKParris; 01-21-2010 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 02:02 AM   #293
Ash888
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 M Sport

Excellent Guide, very helpful. Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #294
tthibodeau
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthibodeau
Good question. To be honest, we don't have that problem here in Toronto, so I've never thought about it. You may want to wash your car at a coin operated car wash place. Just bring your own soap, mitts, and buckets.
Since posting this, I've started just driving the car carefully on my front lawn (beside the driveway) and washing there. This way, there's no water going into the sewer and I'm watering the lawn at the same time.

Bucket washing isn't allowed in any of the car washes in the city and you either have to fill up a bucket with water and drive to the car wash, or try to fill a bucket with a 3000psi water blast. I tried, it wasn't fun

I'll stick with the lawn
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #295
KickTheClutch
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

thanks alot, great info. My eyes hurt soooo much
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #296
bigjilm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 335i Sedan

This post is just so full of awesome. Thanks for putting it up, and for all of the helpful comments that followed.

I just detailed my brand spanking new Le Mans Blue 335i. Saved myself a few hundred bucks, minus a hundred or so for supplies. Lots left over though, so I'll be able to do this a half dozen times more for only a small additional cost.

Order of operation:
1) Wash with Z7
2) Clay with Mothers Clay and Mothers Showtime QD (kit from CT). I ended up using the entire bottle, plus a little Z6 to finish the job.
3) Wash with Z7 again
4) Z2 + ZFX
5) Z6
6) Z2 + ZFX
7) Z6
8) Enjoy that beautiful shine

It came out absolutely perfect, and running a finger across the paint feels awesome. I can't believe how much a brand new car needs clay - it seems to me that BMW should be doing this job at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #297
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjilm View Post
This post is just so full of awesome. Thanks for putting it up, and for all of the helpful comments that followed.

I just detailed my brand spanking new Le Mans Blue 335i. Saved myself a few hundred bucks, minus a hundred or so for supplies. Lots left over though, so I'll be able to do this a half dozen times more for only a small additional cost.

Order of operation:
1) Wash with Z7
2) Clay with Mothers Clay and Mothers Showtime QD (kit from CT). I ended up using the entire bottle, plus a little Z6 to finish the job.
3) Wash with Z7 again
4) Z2 + ZFX
5) Z6
6) Z2 + ZFX
7) Z6

It came out absolutely perfect, and running a finger across the paint feels awesome. I can't believe how much a brand new car needs clay - it seems to me that BMW should be doing this job at the dealer.
You should be happy they don't. Dealer detailers are quite often hacks. These cars travel a long way though, so claying a brand new one is definitely good. Glad to hear you got some amazing results!

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #298
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjilm View Post

Order of operation:
1) Wash with Z7
3) Wash with Z7 again
4) Z2 + ZFX
5) Z6
6) Z2 + ZFX
7) Z6

Glad your detail turned out great!! Congrats on the '11 335 as well. Sweet ride!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #299
afterimage
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

thanks for the tips, quick question

Just bought my first bmw, 2009 335i, and it appears to be in decent shape, detail wise...have read your post, and makes sense...if I want to go the Zaino route vs. the Klasse, is the best way to order one of the Zaino kits and then go to autogeek or pakshak and get the MF towels? Also, in reading, the brake dust is a concern and the dealer even recommended hosing down the wheels at least once a week, if I am unable to wash...would you use 1 of the Zaino products to protect/clean those as well?

thanks in advance
paul
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #300
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterimage View Post
Just bought my first bmw, 2009 335i, and it appears to be in decent shape, detail wise...have read your post, and makes sense...if I want to go the Zaino route vs. the Klasse, is the best way to order one of the Zaino kits and then go to autogeek or pakshak and get the MF towels? Also, in reading, the brake dust is a concern and the dealer even recommended hosing down the wheels at least once a week, if I am unable to wash...would you use 1 of the Zaino products to protect/clean those as well?

thanks in advance
paul
Hi Paul;

Congrats on your new ride!!

You can definitely order a Zaino kit to save yourself some $$$, as opposed to buying each product separately. Keep in mind you may still have to pick up a single item if it is not included in the package you pick (I have not viewed the Zaino packages in a while).

As for buying non Zaino stuff like MF towels, I would recommend that you buy in bulk, and buy from whichever reputable vendor has the best deal. Pak-Shak is great. Ranney is a great guy to deal with. I bought MF towels from him years ago that I still use on my paint today.

I would definitely use Zaino on your wheels. Z2 enabled ZFX should provide a couple of benefits; Firstly they will make it more difficult for brake dust to stick to the rim, and second it will make it easier to clean the wheels. As for hosing the wheels down once a week, it's all up to you and how much time you have.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #301
afterimage
Rep

many thanks, meant to also ask

I live outside of the city limits and my only options for water are through my home and it is hard water, although softened, it is still hard and leaves many spots, is this ok to still use and/or any suggestions ?

thanks again
Paul
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #302
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
I live outside of the city limits and my only options for water are through my home and it is hard water, although softened, it is still hard and leaves many spots, is this ok to still use and/or any suggestions ?

thanks again
Paul
Depends. As long as it's not really hard you should be fine. Just make sure you dry the car thoroughly. You could also invest in a deionizer system to get perfect results every time.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #303
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

thanks again
Paul
Wash in the shade in the early morning or evening and the water should not be able dry and subsequently spot on the paint. Washing in the sun, or in the shade when very hot, can definitely give you water spots.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #304
afterimage
Rep

thank you, method worked well

David,

thanks for your time in laying out your method for washing. I went through it, and after ordering supplies from autogeek and zaino, it all went very well. I have not wax/clayed/polished, as the car was/is in very good shape. Rather, I washed using meguiars gold, then used z8 on the body and z2 on the wheels...turned out very well.

thank you
Paul
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #305
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
David,

thanks for your time in laying out your method for washing. I went through it, and after ordering supplies from autogeek and zaino, it all went very well. I have not wax/clayed/polished, as the car was/is in very good shape. Rather, I washed using meguiars gold, then used z8 on the body and z2 on the wheels...turned out very well.

thank you
Paul
Paul, you're very welcome! It's my pleasure to help out my fellow BMW enthusiasts.

Gald your detail went well. Now go out and drive that wonderful machine!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #306
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

Awesome post, thanks so much, I learned a lot.
One additional tip for beginners:
Don't wear jewlery, watches, clothes with buttons, while detailing. You'll inevitably scratch the car. I usually wear gym shorts/tee shirt. Sorry if that's already been mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #307
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3 View Post
Awesome post, thanks so much, I learned a lot.
One additional tip for beginners:
Don't wear jewlery, watches, clothes with buttons, while detailing. You'll inevitably scratch the car. I usually wear gym shorts/tee shirt. Sorry if that's already been mentioned.
That's great advice! Thanks for posting.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #308
arc1880
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (e92)

DavidN, as far as the front to back motion that you mentioned. Do you mean you go from point A to point B, then lift and start from point A again? Or do you mean a back and forth motion. By the way, great write up.
Appreciate 0