E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Clownage

05-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #45
Hairyarse
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 330d M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
If it doesn't come with an ///M badge on it from the factory, then adding one is clownage. There are no ifs, buts or whys. It just is.
Fair dos, now I know
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #46
daz72
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 325i M-Sport

Garage List
2008 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairyarse View Post
Can I ask a question (being a newb ) - be gentle with me

I totally get the utter clownage on some of these cars and get why you would look a nob for putting say an M3 badge on a non-M3, 3-series. Why is it frowned upon though to have just the M-badge on a genuine M-sport car? It doesn't make sense to me???
It's probably not gonna be a popular opinion, but it just seems to me to be simply badge snobs and elitists making up their own rules regarding what's cool and what's not.

The addition of an ///M badge to the rear of a car does not necessarily mean that someone is trying to pass their 320i off as an M3. If they were, they would surely have put an M3 badge on the rear (which would be very sad!). God knows it's easy enough to get your hands on one!

So its OK for BMW to put 4 ///M badges on my wheels, 2 on my kick plates, one on my steering wheel and god knows where else on the car? But I would not in this groups' eyes be allowed to put one on the boot without making myself a 'clown'?

Are those who add M3 style lip spoilers, carbonfibre trim/ancillaries or CSL rep alloys (E46) to their cars also to be ridiculed and called clowns?

For those who are wondering, I don't have an ///M badge on the back of my car. It is completely devoid of badging as all of my cars have been. I personally don't like the look of model designations on the back of a car, but appreciate that conversely, some people like to display badges for every feature of their car. So what's so wrong with them advertising to the rest of the world that their car is an M-Sport?

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #47
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

well said
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #48
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Just looks shit mate.
      05-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #49
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Wow - it's the new M1 wig ruffler!!

I could hardly believe my eyes!

What a motor - is it V8?

Maybe it's got the new 550bhp V8 twin turbo from the X6M?

Just wicked man innit
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #50
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz72 View Post
It's probably not gonna be a popular opinion, but it just seems to me to be simply badge snobs and elitists making up their own rules regarding what's cool and what's not.
I don't think many of us would deny that. I certainly don't.

Quote:
So its OK for BMW to put 4 ///M badges on my wheels, 2 on my kick plates, one on my steering wheel and god knows where else on the car? But I would not in this groups' eyes be allowed to put one on the boot without making myself a 'clown'?
You got it. If it leaves the factory with the badges, that's ok. If badges are added, that's clownage.

Quote:
Are those who add M3 style lip spoilers, carbonfibre trim/ancillaries or CSL rep alloys (E46) to their cars also to be ridiculed and called clowns?
Can't answer that one, I don't have any modified trim on my car...I believe the lip spoiler isn't an "M" part though, it's a BMW Performance part...someone please correct me if I am wrong...

Quote:
So what's so wrong with them advertising to the rest of the world that their car is an M-Sport?
You don't need an ///M badge to show that your vehicle is an M-Sport, the body-kit and trim will already show that.

Finally, don't take it too personally!! It's just forum banter, people can do whatever they want to their cars...(it's great laugh for the rest of us!!).

Like I said in a previous thread (maybe earlier in this one), I saw a really nice 330i come up my road the other day, ruby black, SE trim with 230 wheels and a cream interior...looked great but on the back there was a nasty ///M badge and I think it just ruined the look of the car from an understated sleeper to a lary douche-mobile. Just IMO though...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #51
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
I suspect it's historical. The //M badge stood for the M Division and M-Power but BMW used it to promote an extra line of product on which they made a lot more profit as the m-sport features, whilst no doubt very appealing to many, in most cases, cost BMW not one extra penny to provide.

You can see evidence of this padding - in the coupe at least, when they reduced the specification of the cars - the m-sport version lost a lot less than the SE version.

I suppose also, that real //M owners wouldn't like non //M owners to go round with their badge on lesser cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #52
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

It is a really valid question. If you have a 318 why would you stick an M badge on the back? Beats me
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #53
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris330D View Post
It is a really valid question. If you have a 318 why would you stick an M badge on the back? Beats me
'coz it's cool innit bruv. Chick fackin' luv it to ya know!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #54
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Geez Geez, it giv's 50 'orse powah innit!!!
      05-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #55
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #56
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Right, I've posted enough pics of these clowns, and its like this

You get your car, be it an Se or an M Sport, and some part of your brain goes to shit - "erm...I know, i'll add an M badge" (only occasionally an M3 or M5/M6 badge) it must be because you've got a small cock, and by adding the M badge it gives you a bigger package in the eyes of others. Its another little 'status' symbol to them.

Some debadge, some just add it ( I wish I had a camera last night after seeing a 10 plate 730d sport with an M bande on the grill and boot), but regardless, you go to this trouble (including buying an M badge) and place it at a random location inconsistent with all the other wannabies.

So of course you can do what you want with your car, its a free(ish) world, and we all have our opinions. Mine is that M badgers have small cocks and insecurity issues and merely demonstrate to the outside world they cant afford the real deal, or think they are impressing those who know little about cars, but know 'M' ought to mean sonething special.

We know what we'd think if we saw an R badge on a 1.6 golf, an RS badge on a 2.0tdi A4, or an AMG badge on a B180.

So 'clown', or 'Small cock', whatever. Never seems to be women with an M badge either.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #57
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post

You get your car, be it an Se or an M Sport, and some part of your brain goes to shit - "erm...I know, i'll add an M badge" (only occasionally an M3 or M5/M6 badge) it must be because you've got a small cock, and by adding the M badge it gives you a bigger package in the eyes of others. Its another little 'status' symbol to them.

Some debadge, some just add it ( I wish I had a camera last night after seeing a 10 plate 730d sport with an M bande on the grill and boot), but regardless, you go to this trouble (including buying an M badge) and place it at a random location inconsistent with all the other wannabies.

So of course you can do what you want with your car, its a free(ish) world, and we all have our opinions. Mine is that M badgers have small cocks and insecurity issues and merely demonstrate to the outside world they cant afford the real deal, or think they are impressing those who know little about cars, but know 'M' ought to mean sonething special.

We know what we'd think if we saw an R badge on a 1.6 golf, an RS badge on a 2.0tdi A4, or an AMG badge on a B180.

So 'clown', or 'Small cock', whatever. Never seems to be women with an M badge either.

POST OF THE DAY!

05-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #58
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

i can feel the anger seeping out of the screen :O
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 02:42 PM   #59
ghosty
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 335d se

Garage List
2008 335d SE  [0.00]
yeah dont take it too seriously, this thread is just funny

i think im gonna souce me a couple of //M badges off ebay and stick them on my tdi. hmmm, just below the side indicator lights for authenticity i think
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 02:42 PM   #60
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Fuck it Im getting one for my Van!
      05-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #61
Hairyarse
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 330d M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Fuck it Im getting one for my Van!
Lmao
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #62
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Last Sunday my father in law actually asked me why my car didn't have an ///M badge on the back He noticed the other little ///M trinkets on the inside (something i'm not that keen on) and felt it should have one on the back as well. Worst thing is that he actually used to own a BMW garage so should know better. Maybe some of the people that add badges think like him.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #63
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

case closed

i'm saying nowt more on the subject. you might have seen this pic before, but no one can defend this..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #64
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
i'm saying nowt more on the subject. you might have seen this pic before, but no one can defend this..
this one is trying harder than most
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #65
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

There's a guy round my way (saw him up at Sytner Harold Wood) who has a diesel 5-series (E60) but the full M5 bodykit...looks nice and you go:

"Oh there's an M5, oh wait...what a goon..."
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #66
marlie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358386