E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Cayman First Drive

08-27-2018, 12:23 PM   #23
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
We love our Boxster and it does carve up curves effortlessly. According to specs, the 718 has about the same grip as my Stingray, but I think it’s better. I find myself having to work harder for the same result. The Boxster is definitely not as fast as my 135is Dinan S2 in a straight line, but not a slouch by any means. Porsche claims 0-60 in 4.9 seconds but most magazine reviews say 4.5 seconds.
Car and Driver even quoting 4.3 seconds for base configuration 0-60.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ng-impressions
Appreciate 1
RotorOver295.50
      08-27-2018, 03:58 PM   #24
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
So I ran into a guy this weekend, he bought a 911 Carrera T with european delivery. Black on Black 6 speed. Very nice car. I went on line this morning to see what pricing was like, he said they gave him a bit of a break off of list. I found I could nicely spec one for a decent price if I stayed away from the $6K audio system, $6K seats and $8K ceramic breaks.....Porsche is a bit over the top on some of it's things, like $500 for a key fob painted to match your car. I guess if you're the money is no object type of guy then great, but I think if you know what you want from a Porsche you can get a great car for a decent price.
The great thing about the painted key fob option is that you can buy the painted fob on eBay for $25 and spend two minutes installing it on your key
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #25
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Absolutely loved the 981, just felt it needed like... 50 more hp, tops. Small supercharger would have done it. Haven't driven the new 718 yet. Not sure if I will.
      08-27-2018, 11:17 PM   #26
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Eh, not interested in the 718 4-banger that sounds like a Subaru. CPO 981 GTS is the way to go, one of the best sounding cars.

Last edited by hellrotm; 08-27-2018 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 2
M3_WC1040.00
      08-28-2018, 02:43 PM   #27
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Have one as a loaner right now. Fun car. Turbo lag is a bitch though.
It ain't turbo lag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Yup. It's a dog off the line.
Hardly. Try driving one in Sport Plus mode. It can spin the rear wheels in fourth gear from a standstill. Then there's Launch Mode ...

(also RotorOver ): Expecting a turbo to be spooled up when the engine is turning 1,800 RPM is not only unrealistic, it's dangerous for street driving. I can expound, but you'd have better luck learning more about the car at 718Forum.com, for which I'm a Moderator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
don't care for the 718 with its turbo 4.

you should go check out a 981 Cayman S or GTS. you'll probably trade your M240i for it
Aaah. Now that one is a dog off the line. Why? All its power is up top in the rev range. But hey, you know, it sounds grrrrreat getting there! (Meanwhile I'm pulling ahead of you.).

Oh: And I did trade a 2 Series for mine. The comparison is roughly the same as, say, a Honda Civic EX Coupe vs. an S2000 -- Basically, no comparison.

Quote:
The Cayman is perfectly usable as a daily driver...unless you have kids. Every day is an occasion!
Now on that I agree with you. Mine's my DD. I can even fit a 1,200-watt bass guitar rig into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Car would be amazing if it wasnt for Porsches stupid everything under the sun is an overpriced @55 raping option.
And this is different from BMW exactly how?
I much prefer being able to option a car exactly how I want than be forced to pay for options I don't want or will never use. So Porsche options are expensive. Dude: It's a Porsche. It's not a Mazda. It's not even a BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Eh, not interested in the 718 4-banger that sounds like a Subaru. CPO 981 GTS is the way to go, one of the best sounding cars.
Aaah, another who's quoting from clickbait reviews. I and many, many others can unequivocably state that it does not sound like a Subaru. Two closer comparisons: a V-twin literbike and (oooh!) an air-cooled 911.

Haters gonna hate. Simply put, the 718 isn't a 981. It's got an engine that's far, far more use-able on public roads, and it outperforms the 981 in pretty much every category.
Appreciate 2
sspade2460.00
c1pher4545.50
      08-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #28
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorOver View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
don't care for the 718 with its turbo 4.

you should go check out a 981 Cayman S or GTS. you'll probably trade your M240i for it
No doubt, I'd love to compare the two. The M240i is perfect for a daily, so its not going anywhere, but there is a strong want for a weekend car!
The Cayman is perfectly usable as a daily driver...unless you have kids. Every day is an occasion!
I agree, it would be doable, but the M240i has more useable quickness in the low rpm regime for my shitty 56 mile round trip Atlanta commute. Also, I would hate to use up such a nice car that quickly when almost half my commute is bumper to bumper miles.
Nah. I have used my 1M as a commuter car and it was wonderful. There's no better way to handle being in stuck in traffic than being in a car you absolutely love...it's a part of "old school" motoring to use a car like it was meant to be!

Go for it.
      08-28-2018, 03:13 PM   #29
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Haters gonna hate. Simply put, the 718 isn't a 981. It's got an engine that's far, far more use-able on public roads, and it outperforms the 981 in pretty much every category.

Meh. I've driven the 718 and don't disagree that it is a lovely and very fast car. The problem I have is the ridiculous pricing that has come about recently on them. I priced out a very reasonable, non S Cayman recently and it came out to $69K. To pay more for a Cayman than an M4 just doesn't make sense to me. I just don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #30
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Meh. I've driven the 718 and don't disagree that it is a lovely and very fast car. The problem I have is the ridiculous pricing that has come about recently on them. I priced out a very reasonable, non S Cayman recently and it came out to $69K. To pay more for a Cayman than an M4 just doesn't make sense to me. I just don't get it.
Comparing a 3,000-pound, two-seat, mid-engine sports car with proprietary engines and not one -- not two -- but three liquid cooling systems to a near 4,000-pound, four-seat, front-engined mid-size coupe that shares umpteen dozen drivetrain parts with other BMWs just demonstrates how little you realize what you're actually paying for.

Enjoy your M4. I couldn't be caught dead in a car that bloated.
Appreciate 1
c1pher4545.50
      08-28-2018, 03:47 PM   #31
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I dunno, I like the M4, but it's a GT, not a sports car. It has a lot of power and handles well, but BMW appears to be trending away from pure track machines for their M cars. It seems you really need their competition trim to get more of a sports car. Hence the M2C/M4C etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 04:17 PM   #32
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
You can get a brand new 718 for $55k

If your pricing them out to $70k - you're doing something wrong. This is a pure sports car and comes with just about everything you could want, in base configuration.

This car is an excellent choice at the under $60k price point. Probably my top choice currently in that market segment.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      08-28-2018, 08:07 PM   #33
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
You can get a brand new 718 for $55k

If your pricing them out to $70k - you're doing something wrong. This is a pure sports car and comes with just about everything you could want, in base configuration.

This car is an excellent choice at the under $60k price point. Probably my top choice currently in that market segment.
My Boxster was $66k new but a year old so I got it for $55k CPO with only 1741 miles. Four year warranty, unlimited miles. The Boxster actually costs more than the Cayman now.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 10:41 PM   #34
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Was at PCA event few weeks ago. 718 was the worst sounding car by far. An owner brought his 718 GTS. Leaving the parking lot it sounded like one long giant fart.
Appreciate 2
mk1-fan581.00
10"4946.00
      08-28-2018, 11:29 PM   #35
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:

(also RotorOver ): Expecting a turbo to be spooled up when the engine is turning 1,800 RPM is not only unrealistic, it's dangerous for street driving. I can expound, but you'd have better luck learning more about the car at 718Forum.com, for which I'm a Moderator.
Copy. Not sure of the practical reason, turbo or other, but my M240i definitely gets power down quicker than that base Cayman did, but it has a tune, an LSD and a 10% shorter than stock final drive - that's what I'm comparing it to. Never the less, the Cayman even in the base form is a properly quick car.

And already joined 718Forum, thanks!
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      08-28-2018, 11:33 PM   #36
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Was at PCA event few weeks ago. 718 was the worst sounding car by far. An owner brought his 718 GTS. Leaving the parking lot it sounded like one long giant fart.
Agreed, have only ever heard one, and it was a forgettable sound.

For me, sound is the single biggest factor when you are talking driver involvement and fun, especially wrt sportscars. The way the flat six chases the red line, the way the pitch changes from a burble down low to a scream up top, and the crackle and pop when you come off the accelerator is priceless. More so if the car has the optional sports exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 05:31 AM   #37
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Nope. It just doesn't sound like a 987 or 981. The subaru sound is due to unequal length headers. Notice the BRZ sounds meh compared to an older WRX? Eggzachary.

The 718 has more power under the curve, more torque across the rev band, and for those that just want to zip and go, a better car to drive when keeping it under 5K which lets face it, most drivers do. I liken it a bit to the old miata days, newer cars are better cars but are they better miatas? I am not sure the 718 is a better Boxster/Cayman vs the older slower cars. However this is not a right or wrong answer question.

For those that like to wring out the engine, hear the sounds, the 718 can leave you less impressed especially for the price tag. I fall into the redline shift and not be stupid illegal speed category so we keep our gutless NA 2.7 987 for a while

- b
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      08-29-2018, 07:25 AM   #38
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Comparing a 3,000-pound, two-seat, mid-engine sports car with proprietary engines and not one -- not two -- but three liquid cooling systems to a near 4,000-pound, four-seat, front-engined mid-size coupe that shares umpteen dozen drivetrain parts with other BMWs just demonstrates how little you realize what you're actually paying for.

Enjoy your M4. I couldn't be caught dead in a car that bloated.
I have driven many many Porsche vehicles and in my personal opinion, I find them extremely over priced.

Personally, I find the Ferrari models give you so much more of the sports car experience, that I would gladly purchase I well sorted 360 versus a brand new Cayman S for similar money. But again, that is my opinion.

If buying the Cayman as a daily driver, I want it to have some creature comforts I am used to, such as power and heated seats, nice headlights, etc. This pushes the price near 70 grand. If all I wanted was the 'sports car experience', then I would either step up and go with a used Ferrari or I would go the other direction and grab a nice Mazda MX-5 and pocket the other 50 grand.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 09:34 AM   #39
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
I have driven many many Porsche vehicles and in my personal opinion, I find them extremely over priced.

Personally, I find the Ferrari models give you so much more of the sports car experience, that I would gladly purchase I well sorted 360 versus a brand new Cayman S for similar money. But again, that is my opinion.

If buying the Cayman as a daily driver, I want it to have some creature comforts I am used to, such as power and heated seats, nice headlights, etc. This pushes the price near 70 grand. If all I wanted was the 'sports car experience', then I would either step up and go with a used Ferrari or I would go the other direction and grab a nice Mazda MX-5 and pocket the other 50 grand.
More evidence you don't know what you're paying for:

- Throwing out quite possibly the worst sports car Ferrari's made in the last generation

- Buying a used 360 Modena? Good luck with maintenance costs. Porsche's aren't low to be sure, but they're manageable -- and, you know, warranty?

- I'm 6-4. Miatas are out; I don't fit. (Oh, and I don't fit in a Modena, either. I had a boss who had one once. He bought it used. Traded it for a Continental R within two months.) All that said, I understand your point about Miatas because so many Miata owners have stepped up to a Boxster that the Miata is called the gateway drug to a Porsche among Porschephiles.

What's wrong with $70k for a Porsche? Certainly nothing more than $70k for, say, an M4? With NO options? :: shakes head :: You're being hypocritical because, as stated previously, the Cayman and the M4 are two completely different cars.

I still wouldn't be caught dead in an M4.

Last edited by Viffermike; 08-29-2018 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 10:02 AM   #40
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
More evidence you don't know what you're paying for:

- Throwing out quite possibly the worst sports car Ferrari's made in the last generation

- Buying a used 360 Modena? Good luck with maintenance costs. Porsche's aren't low to be sure, but they're manageable -- and, you know, warranty?

- I'm 6-4. Miatas are out; I don't fit. (Oh, and I don't fit in a Modena, either. I had a boss who had one once. He bought it used. Traded it for a Continental R within two months.) All that said, I understand your point about Miatas because so many Miata owners have stepped up to a Boxster that the Miata is called the gateway drug to a Porsche among Porschephiles.

What's wrong with $70k for a Porsche? Certainly nothing more than $70k for, say, an M4? With NO options? :: shakes head :: You're being hypocritical because, as stated previously, the Cayman and the M4 are two completely different cars.

I still wouldn't be caught dead in an M4.

Think as you wish, albeit your thoughts on the 360 are incorrect - certainly not 'the worst' as you state. M&R costs on a 360/430 are surprisingly reasonable for what the car is. Now 348 and F355? That is a different story.

Regards, and I hope you enjoy your car. The Cayman is a lovely vehicle and I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy it.

Last edited by Run Silent; 08-29-2018 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 11:13 AM   #41
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Cayman in base spec is stripped of way too many things considering the price you pay for it, and the options on it are laughably overpriced.

Mid engined or not, I'd choose a M2C any day over the Cayman. Perfectly trackable and much more practical.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      08-29-2018, 11:54 AM   #42
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Cayman in base spec is stripped of way too many things considering the price you pay for it, and the options on it are laughably overpriced.

Mid engined or not, I'd choose a M2C any day over the Cayman. Perfectly trackable and much more practical.
I'm not going to argue that an M2C is not a more practical car for daily use space-wise. It is. It's that the Cayman is far more practical than most realize -- and it has a suspension that doesn't induce a bowel movement every time you hit a pothole.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 12:01 PM   #43
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Copy. Not sure of the practical reason, turbo or other, but my M240i definitely gets power down quicker than that base Cayman did, but it has a tune, an LSD and a 10% shorter than stock final drive - that's what I'm comparing it to. Never the less, the Cayman even in the base form is a properly quick car.

And already joined 718Forum, thanks!
Right. I have a Dinan S2 tune on my 135is and it is definitely quicker than my base Boxster. It would be closer to neck and neck if I didn't have the tune. Probably due to weight since my Boxster weighs 3,000lbs and my 135is weighs almost 3400lbs. As most know, where the 718 shines is in the curves or corners. Compared to my 135is and even Stingray, the 718 makes turns almost effortless.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #44
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
I think car sounds are all subjective and people are fickle. I like how it sounds, and honestly am happy with that.

When Senator McCain ran for President, the press tried to make him out to be some zealot or monster. Now he's some mythical hero. This thread is somewhat like that lol.
Appreciate 2
Viffermike1753.00
RotorOver295.50