E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Value Cover Gasket Replacement

11-01-2021, 08:24 PM   #1
carlover7
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xdrive

Value Cover Gasket Replacement

Hello -Would really appreciate your help here.
I have a 2011 328i xdrive -E90- N51 that I started to get the small of burning oil / (french fries in reused oil) after parking in the garage.
88500 miles
I have smelled this for maybe the last six months or so.
Most recently last 3 weeks burning smell through the vents inside the cabin. occurs on and off. on longer drive 50 miles happened at start and maybe in 20 miles.
Have not driven much in 2020 but for local- 5k and 2021 about 5k until now
Took to indy shop - quoted -$1068
$499 on VGC+$30 hoses/tubes
$50 cabin air filter
$500 labor for 6-8 hrs ( which is reasonable)

Turns out in 2019 - during a routine spring clinic / complimentary inspection dealer said I need
Oil Filter Housing replaced
Valve Cover Gasket replaced only gasket not cover
Oil Pan gasket replaced
Grand Total: $4350
Labor 21 hours @ $165 / hr
Parts -
Oil filter housing - $100 labor 3.5 hr
Value cover gasket - $120 labor 6.5 hr
Oil pan gasket - $324 - labor 11 hr
I got the itemized w/ part number from SA.
I declined this at the time. there were no visible signs /leaks or oil drops in the garage.
also indy shop said it was ok no visible leaks (but i know you cant spot visually)

can you pls advise how to proceed?
not sure Indy is fully capable of this job or should i risk it - trusted but this is a serious job
I'm in Northern NJ
The dealer BMW Ramsey SA has not called me back in 4 days since trying to reach their top SA (dealer who did the 2019 diagnostic)
Open Rd Edison Dealer wants me to pay diagnostic fee $200 only then MAY entertain repair and unsure if warranty covers anything
I spoke to SA there and had to remind him of SULEV warranty. I read part numbers and only thing under SULEV warranty was
11127582245 - Valve cover gasket- for $68 not big ticket

questions-
Is the VGC covered under SULEV 15M/ 150K warranty?
Is dealer labor also covered?
Is a cracked value cover also covered not just gasket replacement?

Thoughts on how to proceed? Really appreciate any help w/ navigating this with the dealer.
On a budget and dont want to get fleeced and I'm looking to keep the car of course.

thus far looking at another diagnostic of $200 with Open road BMW with no guarantee of it being covered under SULEV warranty.

BMW NA says SULEV warranty only covers -
Exhaust Pipe w/ catalyst
Engine control module
Exhaust manifold catalyst

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 08:50 PM   #2
Cloverdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jb4 & perf. mods.

Valve cover leak resulted in cylinder misfire requiring injector and plug replacement in my N54. Oil filter hsg. leak in N54 can result in belt disintegration and engine failure from resulting damage when belt debris penetrates internals through crank seal. You may be on borrowed time so remedy asap.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 09:56 PM   #3
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

VCG should be covered under SULEV warranty!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 09:47 PM   #4
carlover7
Rep

Dealers SA told me only the Value cover is covered w / SULEV warranty not the gaskets which doesn’t make much sense …
OFH nor Oil pan covered
Additionally engine or lights need to come on for the diagnostic and justification under that warranty

I argued that it could be a smaller leak not affecting engine and the smell oil should be he sort of agreed

Either way no way for me to know anything unless I spend the $200 diagnostic which is ridiculous with the dealer

Really unsure if to goto the dealer and end up paying thousands …

Any idea if using an Indy shop for work voids the SULEV warranty ? Even if original BMW recommended parts are ordered / used.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 10:44 PM   #5
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover7 View Post
Dealers SA told me only the Value cover is covered w / SULEV warranty not the gaskets which doesn't make much sense …
OFH nor Oil pan covered
Additionally engine or lights need to come on for the diagnostic and justification under that warranty

I argued that it could be a smaller leak not affecting engine and the smell oil should be he sort of agreed

Either way no way for me to know anything unless I spend the $200 diagnostic which is ridiculous with the dealer

Really unsure if to goto the dealer and end up paying thousands …

Any idea if using an Indy shop for work voids the SULEV warranty ? Even if original BMW recommended parts are ordered / used.
You should look in your warranty book. It says the valve cover gaskets are covered.

In terms of work by other than the dealer, it does not void a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 04:25 PM   #6
carlover7
Rep

update - thank you for the responses. valve cover gasket after a lot of haggling on the diagnostic cost is covered under N51 Engine SULEV 15 yr/150k mile warranty. I have the worst service advisor rookie and had to escalate to the manager.

The video they sent also shows Oil filter housing leak which is NOT covered and their charge is $950
part (gasket) is $115 so about 3.5 labor at $250/

pls. advice if this seems right or is overpriced?
should I stay w/ dealer or go out to Indy shop.
Car is w/ dealer now for the VGC which will be another 2 days.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 08:34 AM   #7
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
update - thank you for the responses. valve cover gasket after a lot of haggling on the diagnostic cost is covered under N51 Engine SULEV 15 yr/150k mile warranty. I have the worst service advisor rookie and had to escalate to the manager.

The video they sent also shows Oil filter housing leak which is NOT covered and their charge is $950

All aspects of that are high. I could do that in 1 hour including the bleed procedure with a genuine gasket for $32.

But the vast majority of people here DIY their cars, so don't have a real idea of what dealerships charge people any more.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 10:52 AM   #8
Cloverdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jb4 & perf. mods.

Quote:

No reason to believe the 'part' needs replacing, just the gasket!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 05:23 PM   #9
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

$950 for an ofhg is absurd. Even at a shop it should be well under $600.

DIY for under $100 or take it in if you can find a shop to do it around $500. It's really not a hard job
Appreciate 0