E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Question regarding valve cover gasket replacement

06-14-2021, 03:38 PM   #1
deathgaiden1
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 328i

Question Question regarding valve cover gasket replacement

Hellooo! I have a 2011 E90 328i that's needing a valve cover gasket replacement soon, and I unfortunately don't have the means to do it myself. I'm looking at taking it to a local BMW shop instead of the dealership to save some money. The shop has great reviews online, so I called them today to get a rough estimate. They estimated about $500 for the gasket replacement, but then they also said that if I'm wanting to keep the car long-term they recommend replacing the valve cover itself as well which would bring it up to ~$1000. As long as the valve cover isn't cracked, that shouldn't be necessary, right?

Last edited by deathgaiden1; 06-14-2021 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 05:16 PM   #2
AoS810
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 N51, 2011 E91 N52

How many miles does the car have? If you have an N51 SULEV, the valve cover is covered under warranty(15 yr 150K miles) if the built-in PCV valve fails, the warranty work includes a new gasket. If you don't have an N51, depending on the miles it might not be a bad idea to put in a new valve cover just so the job is done all at once.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 10:53 PM   #3
deathgaiden1
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 328i

Sorry, should have included that info, it's the N52B30 and it has 103K on it right now. I got it at 87K with 1 previous owner. Definitely leaning towards just getting the cover done too as I've seen some posts on here saying that even if the cover is in good condition there's a decent chance it might crack anyway when removing it to do the gasket. And peace of mind is always nice!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 08:28 AM   #4
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathgaiden1 View Post
Hellooo! I have a 2011 E90 328i that's needing a valve cover gasket replacement soon, and I unfortunately don't have the means to do it myself. I'm looking at taking it to a local BMW shop instead of the dealership to save some money. The shop has great reviews online, so I called them today to get a rough estimate. They estimated about $500 for the gasket replacement, but then they also said that if I'm wanting to keep the car long-term they recommend replacing the valve cover itself as well which would bring it up to ~$1000. As long as the valve cover isn't cracked, that shouldn't be necessary, right?
If you're going to pay someone to do it anyway, I would replace the valve cover. On all of my cars with N52s, the PCV has failed at some point. The difference in price is is essentially the cost of the valve cover, although it is easier labor-wise to replace the whole thing than just the gasket.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 08:05 PM   #5
carlover7
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xdrive

Hello - Adding to thread here. Urgent Help needed.
I also have a 2011 328i xdrive -E90- N51 started to get the small of burning oil / french fries after parking in the garage.
88500 miles
I have smelled this for maybe the last eight months or so.
Most recently last 3 weeks burning smell through the vents inside the cabin. occurs on and off. on longer drive 50 miles happened at start and maybe in 20 miles.
Have not driven much in 2020 but for local - only 5k and 2021 about 5k until now
Took to indy shop - quoted - $499 on VGC and $500 labor

Turns out in 2019 - during a routine spring clinic / complimentary inspection dealer said I need
Oil Filter Housing replaced
Valve Cover Gasket replaced only gasket not cover
Oil Pan gasket replaced
Grand Total: $4350
Labor 21 hours @ $165 / hr
Parts -
Oil filter housing - $100
Value cover gasket - $120
Oil pan gasket - $324
I got the itemized w/ part number somehow from SA at the time
I declined at the time. there were no visible leaks or oil drops in the garage.
also indy shop said it was ok no visible leaks (but i know you cant spot visually)

can you pls advise how to proceed?
not sure Indy is fully capable of this job or should i risk it -
I'm in NJ
The dealer BMW Ramsey wont call me back or has not for a week
Open Rd Edison Dealer wants me to pay diagnostic fee $200 only then MAY entertain repair and unsure if warranty covers anything
I spoke to SA there and had to remind him of SULEV warranty. I read part numbers and only thing under SULEV warranty was
11127582245 - Valve cover gasket- for $68 not big ticket

questions-
Is the VGC covered under SUKEV 15M/ 150K warranty?
Is labor also covered?
Is a cracker value cover also covered?

Thoughts on how to proceed?
Really appreciate any help.

thus far i'm looking at another diagnostic of $200 with no guarantee of it being covered under SULEV warranty.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 09:18 PM   #6
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover7 View Post
Hello - Adding to thread here. Urgent Help needed.
I also have a 2011 328i xdrive -E90- N51 started to get the small of burning oil / french fries after parking in the garage.
88500 miles
I have smelled this for maybe the last eight months or so.
Most recently last 3 weeks burning smell through the vents inside the cabin. occurs on and off. on longer drive 50 miles happened at start and maybe in 20 miles.
Have not driven much in 2020 but for local - only 5k and 2021 about 5k until now
Took to indy shop - quoted - $499 on VGC and $500 labor

Turns out in 2019 - during a routine spring clinic / complimentary inspection dealer said I need
Oil Filter Housing replaced
Valve Cover Gasket replaced only gasket not cover
Oil Pan gasket replaced
Grand Total: $4350
Labor 21 hours @ $165 / hr
Parts -
Oil filter housing - $100
Value cover gasket - $120
Oil pan gasket - $324
I got the itemized w/ part number somehow from SA at the time
I declined at the time. there were no visible leaks or oil drops in the garage.
also indy shop said it was ok no visible leaks (but i know you cant spot visually)

can you pls advise how to proceed?
not sure Indy is fully capable of this job or should i risk it -
I'm in NJ
The dealer BMW Ramsey wont call me back or has not for a week
Open Rd Edison Dealer wants me to pay diagnostic fee $200 only then MAY entertain repair and unsure if warranty covers anything
I spoke to SA there and had to remind him of SULEV warranty. I read part numbers and only thing under SULEV warranty was
11127582245 - Valve cover gasket- for $68 not big ticket

questions-
Is the VGC covered under SUKEV 15M/ 150K warranty?
Is labor also covered?
Is a cracker value cover also covered?

Thoughts on how to proceed?
Really appreciate any help.

thus far i'm looking at another diagnostic of $200 with no guarantee of it being covered under SULEV warranty.

Thanks!
If ask on the general forum, but assuming you are registered in NJ, the SULEV warranty applies there and the valve cover gaskets are covered in the 2011 warranty as part of that.

An Indy would have no problems replacing any of the stuff you mentioned if they specialize in BMWs. People DIY all of that routinely.

As far as the other stuff being covered under the SULEV warranty, I don't see it being covered in the warranty, but better to ask someone with an N51.

BTW, this is all available with an internet search.
Appreciate 0