E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E90 Problem Tried to many solutions need help

09-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #67
F31cruisin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

My follow up that fixed the issue. Sorry for not updating.

I followed the start signal from the computer all the way to the starter, and all was fine. Then I started following the current from the battery to the jump post, to the starter, all was good. Wanted to shoot my brains out with this damn problem. What I didn't catch, was the drop in voltage when the car actually went to start.

So the power cable from the post to the starter read 12 volt, until you went to crank, it then dropped and wasn't enough voltage to start the car. No way to catch this unless you had the volt meter on that cable when you turned the key. I ended up putting the volt meter on the windshield so I can see the volts while cranking, and sure enough, it dropped way below 12 the second it went to crank. (found this after weeks of the car sitting in the garage)

So I took the cable off the post that went to the starter, and the contact point was corroded to shit. I sanded the crap out of it, exposing the copper, and put on the washers with teeth on both ends, put it all back together, and it started like a fucking champ. Sold the car about 10 months ago, owner still keeps in touch, ZERO issues since then.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 03:19 PM   #68
Romane60
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
I guess I did like everyone else. Fixed my problem and never came back. For me it all started with a very green and stretched engine ground cable. In the end the eBay dme/cas combo was enough to prove the original CAS was bad. I could start and drive but didn't like the tamper dot and didn't want a mixed set of VINs in the car. I finally found a dealer that would just order the CAS. A few days later it was liftetslly plug and play. New CAS came programed with VIN and keys. Boom! No more starter trigger in the passenger seat.
Hey Chris I’m having the same issues with my e60 just wanted to ask you if you could pass me the info of the dealer that you got your CAS from please ??
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 08:22 AM   #69
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romane60 View Post

Hey Chris I'm having the same issues with my e60 just wanted to ask you if you could pass me the info of the dealer that you got your CAS from please ??
How are you so sure that it is the CAS? There are much more common solutions to this fault.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 10:01 AM   #70
Romane60
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
How are you so sure that it is the CAS? There are much more common solutions to this fault.
Because I have tried everything else At this point I would like to make sure that the CAS is working fine or it’s not working at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 05:30 PM   #71
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romane60 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
Because I have tried everything else At this point I would like to make sure that the CAS is working fine or it’s not working at all.
Do you have any faults related to the CAS other than this one?

In any case, you can program them or get a dealer to do it. Used they are around $150, new about $350.

You can find them everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 10:32 PM   #72
Romane60
Rep

So when all this started I jumped my e60 with another car several times thinking I could started so I don’t know if I damaged the CAS or the ECU …
It’s not throwing me any codes I took it to the dealership to get it diagnosed they did not find anything in the first diagnosis so they wanted $600 more for a second diagnosis…
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 05:28 PM   #73
alexisspmfour20
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i e90

Don’t waste your money just bypass the selenoid and will start right away that’s happened to me I was tire checking everything and nothing has changed so I just bypass the starter with a new switch and I’m driving again lol
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 04:10 PM   #74
acecin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisspmfour20 View Post
Don’t waste your money just bypass the selenoid and will start right away that’s happened to me I was tire checking everything and nothing has changed so I just bypass the starter with a new switch and I’m driving again lol
Hi all today my car got the same codes and randomly start, my family stuck on the road and no crank no stock, many I know how to by starter as a temp fix many thanks!!
Appreciate 0