E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > OFFICIAL: Air Suspension Thread

02-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #67
PaddyMcGrath
Rollin' Coal
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2006 320D M-Sport

Hopefully ordering my own Airlift kit in the coming weeks (once some clients decide to pay long outstanding bills). I've everything arranged in my head and I know what wheels / tyre sizes I'll be going for along with how much drop I'm going to be seeking. All good on that front.

However, my main concern is that because my car is a daily driver, I need the boot install to be as non-invasive as possible. The boot is small enough as it is on an E90 and since my rear seats don't fold, it's going to be even tighter than some. My plan was to install a 4 gallon tank at the very back and at the base of the rear seat or upside down. Looking at some of your installs, the four gallon looks much bigger than I thought it would. Would a 4 gallon tank fit snugly or do I need to start considering a 3 gallon tank?
      02-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #68
Mrbenito
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Here is a picture of my rear bags and brackets. There is a bolt on the bottom of the bracket with a large washer. I know the top goes into the upper cup but just dont know what the bottom bolts to because the lower control arm has a large hole where the spring sits.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #69
pillbox
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Hey guys, I have a hypothetical question.

If one of my bags blew, I'm pretty much stranded correct?
      02-26-2015, 10:58 PM   #70
Stillswingin26
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

What do these set ups typically run (+install)...around $5-6k??
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #71
Projekt_BooGie
Average Car Exceeding Expectations (ACEE)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbenito View Post
ACEE did you also get the adjustable front endlinks?
No I did not, these were not available when I first did my suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillbox View Post
Hey guys, I have a hypothetical question.

If one of my bags blew, I'm pretty much stranded correct?
Depending....if you are on coil overs the car will only go as low as you have your coils set. So if your front bag blew you could always raise your coilover, the ride might be harsh b/c of no compression but it'll let you make it to a safe enough place to take care of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowhat View Post
What do these set ups typically run (+install)...around $5-6k??
Depending...you could prob piece one together for $3k-$5k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbenito View Post
Here is a picture of my rear bags and brackets. There is a bolt on the bottom of the bracket with a large washer. I know the top goes into the upper cup but just dont know what the bottom bolts to because the lower control arm has a large hole where the spring sits.
that whole thats in your control arm at the bottom is where that goes. You put the bolt through that...then put the washer on then screw the nut.
Attached Images

too much to list...just know its wide and bagged
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 10:45 PM   #72
E46toE90
Sparkling Graphite Metallic FTW
Rep
Drives: lci m-sport e90 n55

Hey guys I will be bagging my car soon, I have a donor car. I am doing the work my self so I had a few basic questions. Car has the lines ran under the car outside. Is this how you guys did it? Or did you run air lines inside? I haven't looked at my car but on donor car the air lines are ran through the trunk floor. I don't know if there was a plug and it was removed but it seems like they used a rubber hose and silicone to prevent water from coming inside.

Also any info you guys want to share?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #73
Projekt_BooGie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46toE90 View Post
Hey guys I will be bagging my car soon, I have a donor car. I am doing the work my self so I had a few basic questions. Car has the lines ran under the car outside. Is this how you guys did it? Or did you run air lines inside? I haven't looked at my car but on donor car the air lines are ran through the trunk floor. I don't know if there was a plug and it was removed but it seems like they used a rubber hose and silicone to prevent water from coming inside.

Mine are ran under the car under the undercover, and they are brought in the car through the plastic where the spare tire would be...I put it up as high as possible.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #74
E46toE90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEE View Post
Mine are ran under the car under the undercover, and they are brought in the car through the plastic where the spare tire would be...I put it up as high as possible.
so you have to drill to get to the trunk ?

noticed the front air lines run with a power wire behind the wheel well cover. I'm pretty sure that power wire has to go into the battery so there is sometime of access into the trunk. i don't like having to make a hole through anything.
      03-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #75
E46toE90
Rep

Here is a pic of what was done with donor I don't think I could do this with my car. Also air lines are touching the diff. Which is a big nono
Attached Images

03-03-2015, 10:53 PM   #76
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46toE90 View Post

Like ACEE, I ran my lines under the car along the body on top of the under trays. I installed bulkhead fittings to get the air to the valve block.

Question for all the other air guys, how much camber will I be able to get out of the front camber plates on my airlift struts? If it isn't enough will I be able to use shims, like e36s use, to get more camber?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #77
EMC
rallyroad.net
Rep
Drives: G80x,E90 M3,LTW M3,MCoupe,etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty3bags View Post
Like ACEE, I ran my lines under the car along the body on top of the under trays. I installed bulkhead fittings to get the air to the valve block.

Question for all the other air guys, how much camber will I be able to get out of the front camber plates on my airlift struts? If it isn't enough will I be able to use shims, like e36s use, to get more camber?
Your strut bolts into a sleeve on the knuckle. Therefore you can't use shims like the E36 strut that uses 3 bolts to attach to the knuckle.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2015, 12:14 AM   #78
mar528
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: black 2008 bmw 335i sedan

Have my trunk layout done and all electrical nicely organized for easiest instal possible, working on it this Sunday, hopefully I'll have the electrical all done and then install the suspension another day, I'm itching to get this done, I'll post some pics when I finish everything. Is there anyone in the NW with a bagged e90
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #79
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMC
Quote:

Your strut bolts into a sleeve on the knuckle. Therefore you can't use shims like the E36 strut that uses 3 bolts to attach to the knuckle.
I wasn't sure as I haven't seen how an e36 suspension bolts up. How much camber can we get out of our front suspension with airlift struts?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #80
PaddyMcGrath
Rollin' Coal
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMcGrath View Post
Hopefully ordering my own Airlift kit in the coming weeks (once some clients decide to pay long outstanding bills). I've everything arranged in my head and I know what wheels / tyre sizes I'll be going for along with how much drop I'm going to be seeking. All good on that front.

However, my main concern is that because my car is a daily driver, I need the boot install to be as non-invasive as possible. The boot is small enough as it is on an E90 and since my rear seats don't fold, it's going to be even tighter than some. My plan was to install a 4 gallon tank at the very back and at the base of the rear seat or upside down. Looking at some of your installs, the four gallon looks much bigger than I thought it would. Would a 4 gallon tank fit snugly or do I need to start considering a 3 gallon tank?
Hate to bump, but would love any feedback on this. Thank you!
      03-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #81
Projekt_BooGie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by naynay View Post
Guys with ACCUAIR eLEVEL:

i have wide wheels. any recommendation on how to calibrate it so it doesnt scratch the lip of my wheels when its fully aired out?
man I totally missed this!!! I hope you figured it out...but what I would have suggested is to put on your stock wheels and let it calibrate that way. It doesn't calibrate off your wheel height, but off the suspension travel. And with the E-level you can always go back and change it afterwards.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #82
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep

Quote:

PaddyMcGrath I have the accuair 5 gal tank in my car right now (http://bagriders.com/modlab/products...%28RAW%29.html) and it doesn't take up a ton of space and fits fine. I have it mounted to the top of the trunk below the rear window. I also have my compressor in the right area directly beneath the passenger tail light. I still have all my stock trunk linings and haven't lost a ton of room due to this arrangement (my car is my daily as well). I've been debating on trying out two of the AVS skinny 2 gal tanks so that they will take up even less trunk space.

ACEE maybe you can help me out. How much camber can we get out of our front suspension with the camber plates on the airlift struts?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #83
PaddyMcGrath
Rollin' Coal
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
PaddyMcGrath I have the accuair 5 gal tank in my car right now (http://bagriders.com/modlab/products...%28RAW%29.html) and it doesn't take up a ton of space and fits fine. I have it mounted to the top of the trunk below the rear window. I also have my compressor in the right area directly beneath the passenger tail light. I still have all my stock trunk linings and haven't lost a ton of room due to this arrangement (my car is my daily as well). I've been debating on trying out two of the AVS skinny 2 gal tanks so that they will take up even less trunk space.

ACEE maybe you can help me out. How much camber can we get out of our front suspension with the camber plates on the airlift struts?
Thank you, much appreciated. Do you have any photos of your install? I was planning on running two compressors (for serviceability & redundancy) but it's more space taken up.
      03-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #84
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, much appreciated. Do you have any photos of your install? I was planning on running two compressors (for serviceability & redundancy) but it's more space taken up.
PaddyMcGrath This is all I have at the moment. I'll see if I can get some better pictures later.

trunk setup
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 04:57 PM   #85
Projekt_BooGie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
Quote:

I don't know...I have Ksport coils over UAS bags, and UAS took off my camber plates...so IDK

Quote:
this is the only pic I have of my install...and its the 5 gallon
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 11:27 PM   #86
Mrbenito
Rep

Can someone please help me with the routing of lines.. Are there any passthrough holes in the front cockpit, and the back of the car? Pics or anything would help! Thanks guys!!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 12:17 PM   #87
Projekt_BooGie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
just pull back your fender lining and run it through there...run it on top of your under shield and you will have to cut some holes in the trunk to feed them through. I did my holes on the higher up portion of the plastics behind the rear diff. I drilled from the inside of the trunk to out. Sorry I don't have pics

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:41 PM   #88
Mrbenito
Rep

Awesome thanks for the info! Sorry but anything for the front? It seems so tight up there I was looking for a rubber push through hole were the glove box is but no avail.. Thanks everyone for the input!
Appreciate 0