E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Foam padding residue... small swirl marks left

02-15-2006, 07:36 PM   #1
TeacherDK
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '06 325i

Foam padding residue... small swirl marks left

I recently received my car (Jet Black 325) and had the dealer leave all of the plastic on the seats, stickers on the windows, and foam padding on the front doors (no dealer detail). That night I did a quick wash on the car just to get the dust/dirt off (Z-7 Zaino Car Wash soap only; no wax). I wasn't aware that a sticky glue residue would be left behind after the foam padding on the doors was removed. My dad said that he could get it off and used pure carnauba wax to remove it. When it was done it was smooth to the touch (keep in mind, there wasn't much light available when we removed everything).

Anyway, it wasn't until today that I realized the lines on the doors were still faintly visible from where the foam pads had been stuck. Also, to my utter dismay, there were TINY SWIRL MARKS left behind and there are small areas on both doors that look a bit dull compared to the shine of the rest of the car. I am praying that this is not a big deal and that these will come out without a problem. I was planning on doing a thorough wash and my first wax (sealant) this weekend. Can these swirl marks come out without worry. Please say yes. What do you guys think and what do you suggest? Thanks so much.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
what didnt you let the dealer detail your car?? when washing your car you have to use some micro 3m towl so you wont have swirl marks. take it back to the dealer and say, i change my mind detail it for me?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
RyBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Pure carnauba wax contains no cleaning agents. Why would you use carnauba wax to remove it? The wax will just cover up the sticky glue residue.
Did you wash the car and wax the car in a circular motion? That will leave swirl marks.

Old: 08 E92 335i|Space Gray/Coral Red/Gray Poplar

Old: 06 E90 330i|Black Sapphire/Black /Burl
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2006, 11:58 PM   #4
TeacherDK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyBMW
Pure carnauba wax contains no cleaning agents. Why would you use carnauba wax to remove it? The wax will just cover up the sticky glue residue.
Did you wash the car and wax the car in a circular motion? That will leave swirl marks.
I've yet to wax the car... and I actually didn't use the carnauba, it was my dad, who only waxed the small area where the white foam had once been. Anyway,that's beside the point. My concern is obviously getting the remnant residue off the car, completely. Also, to get those small swirl marks out. Is it possible without a buffer? Will they come out fairly easily? Difficult? Any suggestions on what to do next would be great. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 01:12 AM   #5
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i rec'd 2/17/06

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherDK
I've yet to wax the car... and I actually didn't use the carnauba, it was my dad, who only waxed the small area where the white foam had once been. Anyway,that's beside the point. My concern is obviously getting the remnant residue off the car, completely. Also, to get those small swirl marks out. Is it possible without a buffer? Will they come out fairly easily? Difficult? Any suggestions on what to do next would be great. Thanks.
TeacherDK, I see you did the same thing I did. The dealer did not touch my car either. Those sticky foam pads were a shocker, that's for sure. They left that residue, but luckily I had some googone in my cupboard, and the stuff came right off with no adverse affects to the paint. Don't go crazy with the goo gone, it doesn't take much, and use a MF towel to carefully wipe the residue away. I only put a couple of drops on my MF towel, and then used water to wipe off any left over haze. Also, remember, no swirling action, just up and down motion (follow the line of the residue only). I don't know if you'll have to strip that carnuba your dad put on top first though... my guess is the goo gone will cut through the wax.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 01:13 AM   #6
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
As long as they are fine swirl marks, then you don't need a buffer, and can take them out by hand with a polish, not a wax! Make sure you use a really good 100% terry cotton towels or microfiber. None of that auto store crap either, rather use Griott's garage, etc. (I personally only use 3M products). But if it is still possible to take back to the dealer for a detail, there would be no way that I'd pass it up. A professional detail can run to $150. If you don't know what you are doing (black is really easy to screw up), but would still like to take care of your own car, buy a detailing book or pick one up from your local library.

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 09:20 AM   #7
TeacherDK
Rep

Thanks for the advice guys. I will follow your guidelines closely. Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 12:06 PM   #8
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

You'll need an adhesive remover to get the glue off from the foam. Something like goo gone of 3M adhesive removal product will work.

For the swirls, you can try removing them by hand. If you are already using zaino, then try theur ZPC polish by hand. That should help.
Appreciate 0