E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > Intake Carbon clean -group deal or DIY- ATL

04-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #45
infidel82
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanna335 View Post
Looks like I'm the high mileage king for this event....80,xxx miles and counting!
Never mind carbon build up its probably diamonds by now!

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #46
iwanna335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 SGM, ZSP, 6m, Nav

Did we ever get a good size compressor?
      04-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #47
gdkalyanapu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanna335 View Post
Did we ever get a good size compressor?
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #48
Akopley
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

I am bringing a compressor so we should be all good. What time do I need to be at Nivedhs?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #49
infidel82
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Gents,

Volkswagin has a problem and will not be able to do this tomorow.

I am looking into alternatives but I am pretty sure this isnt going to go ahead tomorow.

Sorry guys out of my control.

Will update when I know.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #50
AU335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidel82 View Post
Gents,

Volkswagin has a problem and will not be able to do this tomorow.

I am looking into alternatives but I am pretty sure this isnt going to go ahead tomorow.

Sorry guys out of my control.

Will update when I know.
sorry to hear this man.

just wanted to ask if anyone knew, how much harder would it be to replace the oil filter housing gasket while doing the intake valve cleaning?

I may be interested in jumping in on this group cleaning if I can possibly get the oil housing filter gasket replaced at the same time since it seems the hardest part about that will be removing the intake manifold (which will be removed anyways).
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #51
infidel82
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

OK guys

Update:

Basically after doing so much reading on this I decided to have a go DIYing.
I have purchased walnut media and related equipment and borrowed a compressor.

Nivedh and I will be giving this a go tomorrow and will report back on how easy/hard it is and costs associated.

Depending on how it goes we might be able to do a few more cars but it won't be tomorrow.... Tomorrow is for muddling through the first try!

Ill take a bunch of pics and try put together an idea of what it entails also.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #52
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
OK guys

Update:

Basically after doing so much reading on this I decided to have a go DIYing.
I have purchased walnut media and related equipment and borrowed a compressor.

Nivedh and I will be giving this a go tomorrow and will report back on how easy/hard it is and costs associated.

Depending on how it goes we might be able to do a few more cars but it won't be tomorrow.... Tomorrow is for muddling through the first try!

Ill take a bunch of pics and try put together an idea of what it entails also.
Looking forward to it!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #53
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU335i;1174****
sorry to hear this man.

just wanted to ask if anyone knew, how much harder would it be to replace the oil filter housing gasket while doing the intake valve cleaning?

I may be interested in jumping in on this group cleaning if I can possibly get the oil housing filter gasket replaced at the same time since it seems the hardest part about that will be removing the intake manifold (which will be removed anyways).
sorry i had to bail guys especially on such late notice! If you guys have any questions about doing this-feel free to call or message me! Paul has my number.
AU335i-its easier to replace the gasket with the manifold removed already to do the cleaning. To remove the filter housing wouldnt take that much longer other than the associated cleaning, removal of the housing/coolant hose, and bleeding of the cooling system.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #54
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
It was a tiring day but I'm glad we got the hang of things!

Great show by Paul, henceforth the king of "evil box" removal. Thanks to Todd, Elliot, and Gideon as well! Certainly a group effort. Also, thanks to Adam for supplying the compressor and Todd for the Shop-Vac.

Perhaps in a few weeks (sometime in May), we can get the remaining cars together and get those knocked out? It should go much quicker, especially with multiple sets of hands.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 06:12 AM   #55
infidel82
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post

Great show by Paul, henceforth the king of "evil box" removal. Thanks to Todd, Elliot, and Gideon as well! Certainly a group effort. Also, thanks to Adam for supplying the compressor and Todd for the Shop-Vac.

Perhaps in a few weeks (sometime in May), we can get the remaining cars together and get those knocked out? It should go much quicker, especially with multiple sets of hands.

Seconded... thanks for everyones help- and especially to Nivedh for letting us use his garage/tools! To summarise:

1) My and Gideons care were done.
2) It took 12 hours (with a lot of experimentation on the best cleaning method) for both cars. I suspect this will be down to 4-5 per car with this experience.
3) Getting to the intake valves is a bit of a pain but its not too hard when you know how.
4) The walnut blasting is extremely messy, and it is better than chemical+scrubbing but not my a huge amount. I would not say it is mandatory, but it does give a nice finish.
5) There is a box mounted to the intake manifold. It is satan's spawn. Also after 12 hours of working on it I feel like I have been to fight club! but:

The car feels GREAT. Before I had stuttering in acceleration and the occasional misfire cylinder 5 code. Now it is smooth and the engine feels a lot freer (stock @ 42k). Idle is smoother also. It was immediately apparent.

For the rest of you guys:

1) There is literally pounds of walnut media left over and half a gallon of carb cleaner... So I was going to keep hold of these instead of returning in case others want to have a go (they are at Nivedhs)

2) Im away for a chunk of time but when Im back I don't mind spending a day providing pointers.

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #56
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Seconded... thanks for everyones help- and especially to Nivedh for letting us use his garage/tools! To summarise:

1) My and Gideons care were done.
2) It took 12 hours (with a lot of experimentation on the best cleaning method) for both cars. I suspect this will be down to 4-5 per car with this experience.
3) Getting to the intake valves is a bit of a pain but its not too hard when you know how.
4) The walnut blasting is extremely messy, and it is better than chemical+scrubbing but not my a huge amount. I would not say it is mandatory, but it does give a nice finish.
5) There is a box mounted to the intake manifold. It is satan's spawn. Also after 12 hours of working on it I feel like I have been to fight club! but:

The car feels GREAT. Before I had stuttering in acceleration and the occasional misfire cylinder 5 code. Now it is smooth and the engine feels a lot freer (stock @ 42k). Idle is smoother also. It was immediately apparent.

For the rest of you guys:

1) There is literally pounds of walnut media left over and half a gallon of carb cleaner... So I was going to keep hold of these instead of returning in case others want to have a go (they are at Nivedhs)

2) Im away for a chunk of time but when Im back I don't mind spending a day providing pointers.

glad you guys got it taken care of! I figured it would fix your running issues! On that box-we take a screwdriver and pop the little tabs slightly down then take a pry bar and simply pop the box off-that way you can remove the intake without taking the screws out of the stupid metal holder its on. Im not sure what blaster you guys had but id assume it would be quite messy without some sort of plate to block the media from flying all over the place.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #57
EJ_3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.34]
2016 Ram 1500 Sport  [8.00]
1994 BMW 525i  [10.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post

I'll be hitting 60k in a few months... Depending on when in May yall are going to tackle this, I might jump onboard.
Subscribed!
      04-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #58
gdkalyanapu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 m3

Man! My car is running great now! Special thanks to Nivedh, Paul, Elliot & Todd. It was nice to meet you guys.
It's really great all day DIY we went ahead with. End of the day, we are delighted to see the results. I had 79k and my car had been slightly hesitant before the cleaning. Now, it's so smooth and quick that i feel like i'm driving a totally different car.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #59
07bmw335iguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan

May would be great, just replaced all four tires and had to put a new water pump in. So May should give me time to get some money up. Also while Im in ATL maybe NiVeDh could code my car like we previously discussed. Also my car has 99k on it so I can only imagine what the intake looks like :/ Subscribed

Last edited by 07bmw335iguy; 04-17-2012 at 12:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #60
topspin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I just hit 60K miles this week. I'm interested if you guys do this again in May. Subscribed...
      04-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #61
DKNYATLANTA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
So, I was discussing this procedure with a BMW master tech contact of mine & he stated that he COULD do it for me but he advises against it, due to the probability of damage to the intake & turbos?? Do any of you guys that have specific knowledge of this procedure have thoughts on what he is saying about the walnut blasting?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #62
asuresh8
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 911 C4s

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNYATLANTA View Post
So, I was discussing this procedure with a BMW master tech contact of mine & he stated that he COULD do it for me but he advises against it, due to the probability of damage to the intake & turbos?? Do any of you guys that have specific knowledge of this procedure have thoughts on what he is saying about the walnut blasting?
Not likely to damage intake and turbos, but i'm pretty sure walnut blasting will create small scratches where you blast it, which will causes carbon to buildup easier. So theoretically, you would have to clean them more often.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #63
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilballa View Post
Not likely to damage intake and turbos, but i'm pretty sure walnut blasting will create small scratches where you blast it, which will causes carbon to buildup easier. So theoretically, you would have to clean them more often.
I doubt walnut shells are harder than our intake valve runners (or whatever they're called).
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #64
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

My dealer uses a tool that sucks the shells out as it blasts them

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #65
infidel82
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Two things:

1) There may be micro stratches caused by either scrubbing with a wire brush or walnut blasting. For me there was nothing particularly visible using either methods.

Note that as mentioned the hardness of walnut media is nothing compared to the metal. I also blasted a piece of plastic (much softer) to see what occured and the answer is not much... It was smoother. Bear in mind valves are hard, hard. Im not sure of the Vickers number or material but they move at the speed of a bullet in one direction and then come back again many times PER SECOND so they have got to be pretty damn hard.

2) Unless you put some deep scratches (0.5mm +) in it it really wont make a difference. Consider the smoothness (or lack of smoothness of the surrounding casting) which will create turbulence in the intake charge. While this turbulence may be planned for it will make turbulence caused by small sctratches in a valve pretty small relatively speaking. Bear in mind that this is a forced induction engine too.

Bottom line. I think either will work and unlikely to damage the valves.

Unless you start pouring cleaner or walnut media into the cylinders I have no idea how you would mess up downpipes or turbos. And you would have to be an idiot to pour carb cleaner and walnuts into your cylinders.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #66
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNYATLANTA View Post
not sure where he works...but its strange that as a dealership they dont do walnut blasting on a regular basis? We do...and its completely harmless when it comes to damaging metal? The walnut media is borderline soft and its more abrasive than it is hard...thus the damage it could cause is null and void as all it does is scrub. It removes the carbon because its softer than metal. Id say the likelyhood of damage to the vehicle is more related to operator error or damaging things while removing them than the actual carbon cleaning process. On top of that-do you think that multiple big name auto manufacturers would have this process used to clean their engines if it wasnt safe?
Appreciate 0