E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HPFP DIY completed

01-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
Luvmy335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

HPFP DIY completed

Yea, yea, yea... I know the fuel pump is under warranty... For me the cost to change it out far out weighed any benefit of BMW performing the replacement. For some time I have been ignoring the long cranks, misfire codes under load, and 1/2 engine lights. Trolled the forums and did the switch myself. OMG the beast is back. She started instantly and is running oh so smooth. I didn't realize how bad it had gotten. I want to thank member bmroxm5 for the pics and instructions. Got he latest pump from getBMWparts.com. Hope it has some longevity. I left the intake on and the junction box easily came off using a feeler gauge blade. Glad I hand some absorb pads beneath the pump when it separated from the block. A little surprised at the oil that trickled out. I left the injector side line attached to the block. A little trial and error fitting the feed tooth of the pump into the block housing and three "new" allen screws to mount. Total time under hood, 2 hours with a "cold adult beverage" break along the way. Could shorten that time considerably, just very cautious with breakdown. It's been cold and I didn't want to break any expensive plastic plugs on any sensors removed. $220 and 2 hours to switch, sorry I put this off for so long. After the fact, it truly was one of the easiest repairs I have done on this car.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

Sounds great! Do you have any pictures?

Also, is there any coding involved with this job?
      01-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws
Sounds great! Do you have any pictures?

Also, is there any coding involved with this job?
Nope is literally 4 bolts once you get to it under the manifold.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
Eleventeen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmy335i View Post
Yea, yea, yea... I know the fuel pump is under warranty... For me the cost to change it out far out weighed any benefit of BMW performing the replacement. For some time I have been ignoring the long cranks, misfire codes under load, and 1/2 engine lights. Trolled the forums and did the switch myself. OMG the beast is back. She started instantly and is running oh so smooth. I didn't realize how bad it had gotten. I want to thank member bmroxm5 for the pics and instructions. Got he latest pump from getBMWparts.com. Hope it has some longevity. I left the intake on and the junction box easily came off using a feeler gauge blade. Glad I hand some absorb pads beneath the pump when it separated from the block. A little surprised at the oil that trickled out. I left the injector side line attached to the block. A little trial and error fitting the feed tooth of the pump into the block housing and three "new" allen screws to mount. Total time under hood, 2 hours with a "cold adult beverage" break along the way. Could shorten that time considerably, just very cautious with breakdown. It's been cold and I didn't want to break any expensive plastic plugs on any sensors removed. $220 and 2 hours to switch, sorry I put this off for so long. After the fact, it truly was one of the easiest repairs I have done on this car.
Where did you find a pump for $220???
      01-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=hpfp
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Eleventeen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

I guess the price recently went up on the pumps. It is $331 now (but you get $50 back for the core).

Also, I think that is an old P/N. The one I just bought has a different number.
      01-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
Luvmy335i
United_States
Rep

getBMWparts.com was the source of the pump. I emailed Evan and confirmed the latest part # would apply to my 2007 DI motor. The point of my post is to let all know it is a doable repair w/o BMW involvement. As stated cost vs benefit, I choose to change myself. When and if it blows in the future I will replace myself again. By the way, SE Louisiana is finally seeing sun and more moderate temps. She is running perfectly and adapting well to the weather.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:

Good to hear. I've heard too many people scared of turning a wrench making this out to be something bigger than it really is. Doing the Wavetrac diff install was relatively easy and I didn't figure a HPFP would be much trouble. Two hours with a break... Nice job.
      01-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Luvmy335i
United_States
Rep

Nothing against the tech's at my local BMW dealership but to perform this repair myself provided me the satisfaction of knowing it was done to "my" standards. I have the Bentley manual and reference the site for needed info.
My next step is to put a diff it her. Traction with an open diff and my mods is a joke. Running it with traction control off and putting it sideways at highway speeds is not in my futures best interest.
07 335i coupe, manual w/ SSK, clutch delay delete, Procede, K&N drop-in, CPE downpipes w/ high-temp coating, HKS exhaust, BSH-OCC, ETS-IC, CPE charge pipe, Tial BOV, M3 suspension upgrade, rear lower X-brace, Hankook rubber, LED interior lights, LED license plate lights, Royal Purple since break-in.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #10
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Nothing against the tech's at my local BMW dealership but to perform this repair myself provided me the satisfaction of knowing it was done to "my" standards. I have the Bentley manual and reference the site for needed info.
My next step is to put a diff it her. Traction with an open diff and my mods is a joke. Running it with traction control off and putting it sideways at highway speeds is not in my futures best interest.
The diff is doable so long as you pick up the right tools and stuff beforehand. I did mine on a set of ramps in my garage. Only external help I needed was a machine shop that removed the bearing races and ring gear over to the new diff (I sold my vice a while back before I moved).