E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Turbo and HPFP replacement 2009 335i

08-31-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
tricott335
Rep
Drives: 20011 335D

Turbo and HPFP replacement 2009 335i

Hey everyone,

My apologies if this post is redundant. I've combed through lots of threads finding some relevant information but not quite what I'm looking for.

I'm interested in purchasing a 2009 335i, found one with 89k miles.

The turbos have not been replaced on this car, and the turbo wastegate rattle issue concerns me. It seems that BMW offered an 8yr/82,000 mile warranty on replacing the turbos, at least in the US; Is it whichever comes first? Would this car still qualify since it's under 8 years, and I would I just hope that I experience the rattling and get it fixed before the 8 years are up? Otherwise, this is around a $3000 fix, correct?

And just to confirm, the HPFP warranty covers up to 120k miles, right?

From what I've read the HPFP and the Turbos are the primary, major issues in a higher mileage 335i. Is there anything else major that I need to be aware of? I saw some people say a high(er) mileage 335i is an absolute trouble car, whereas others say have fun with it and perform regular maintenance and it shouldn't bite you in the ass too hard.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 10:20 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricott335
Hey everyone,

My apologies if this post is redundant. I've combed through lots of threads finding some relevant information but not quite what I'm looking for.

I'm interested in purchasing a 2009 335i, found one with 89k miles.

The turbos have not been replaced on this car, and the turbo wastegate rattle issue concerns me. It seems that BMW offered an 8yr/82,000 mile warranty on replacing the turbos, at least in the US; Is it whichever comes first? Would this car still qualify since it's under 8 years, and I would I just hope that I experience the rattling and get it fixed before the 8 years are up? Otherwise, this is around a $3000 fix, correct?

And just to confirm, the HPFP warranty covers up to 120k miles, right?

From what I've read the HPFP and the Turbos are the primary, major issues in a higher mileage 335i. Is there anything else major that I need to be aware of? I saw some people say a high(er) mileage 335i is an absolute trouble car, whereas others say have fun with it and perform regular maintenance and it shouldn't bite you in the ass too hard.

Thanks in advance.
You can send your turbos out to turbo of America and have them refurbished, or if you are really good with your hands and have the right tools, it can be done yourself. To have them do it, it might be $750.00 or so.

http://turbolabofamerica.com/bmw-135...le-repair-fix/

As far as the HPFP, most of those concerns are moot. BMW changed them out years ago with new and improved ones. Some guys got 2 to 3 new ones before BMW finally got it right.

I rarely hear people on this forum complain that there HPFP went bad to be quite honest.

I think the 335i is a great car. With 89k, there are things I would be concerned about as far as maintenance goes..

1) rear main seal / not really DIY able
2) oil filter housing until gasket
3) valve cover gasket
4) spark plugs
5) water pump
6) walnut blasting intake valves
7) shocks & struts

At 100k, you'll have to:

1) change out all fluids
2) redo belt and pulleys
3) PCV valve
4) new coils

At 89k, your at a point where you could easily have to put in $3,000 or so in parts and DIY it, but after that you should be good for a while.

The only gasket I would be looking out for is the oil pan gasket, but that doesn't usually go till over 125k. Yes, there are members who's oil pan gasket went at 90k, but I think a majority of people probably would feel 125k and beyond is borrowed time on this particular gasket.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 02:02 AM   #3
maaaaackle
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
You can send your turbos out to turbo of America and have them refurbished, or if you are really good with your hands and have the right tools, it can be done yourself. To have them do it, it might be $750.00 or so.

As far as the HPFP, most of those concerns are moot. BMW changed them out years ago with new and improved ones. Some guys got 2 to 3 new ones before BMW finally got it right.

I rarely hear people on this forum complain that there HPFP went bad to be quite honest.

I think the 335i is a great car. With 89k, there are things I would be concerned about as far as maintenance goes..

3) valve cover gasket
4) spark plugs
5) water pump
7) shocks & struts

At 100k, you'll have to:

1) change out all fluids
2) redo belt and pulleys
3) PCV valve
4) new coils

At 89k, your at a point where you could easily have to put in $3,000 or so in parts and DIY it, but after that you should be good for a while.

The only gasket I would be looking out for is the oil pan gasket, but that doesn't usually go till over 125k. Yes, there are members who's oil pan gasket went at 90k, but I think a majority of people probably would feel 125k and beyond is borrowed time on this particular gasket.
Rear main seal?

What about the rear main seal?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 03:27 AM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maaaaackle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post

3) valve cover gasket
4) spark plugs
5) water pump
7) shocks & struts

At 100k, you'll have to:

1) change out all fluids
2) redo belt and pulleys
3) PCV valve
4) new coils

Rear main seal?

What about the rear main seal?
It will leak, at some point, before let's say 115,000 miles. Unless you have a lift, it not really DIY-able. Also, there are very few actual, if any, DIY's out there on the net for a rear main seal, which are specific to the n54 motor.

Therefore, most people take it to an independent shop that specializes in European Autos and pay about $1200.00 to have this done.

With that said, you may want to do some research on local shops that do specialize in European Autos. A good one can be sometimes hard to come by.

Before you buy the 09 335i, my advice to you would be to check its service records and take it to a BMW dealer, if it's not being sold by a BMW dealer. Pay the $200.00 to have one of their mechanics look it over. If the person or non-BMW dealer refuses to let you do that, walk away.
Appreciate 0