Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Experience With Fender Shaving

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-26-2019, 06:34 PM   #1
weshascar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White E92 M3

Experience With Fender Shaving

Hello,

Long story short, I have a 2009 335i that I purchased with damage to the rear quarter panel. The car has been at a body shop being repaired for the last week or so and will be repaired and repainted in a few days.

I am looking to get new wheels soon and am looking to run 19x10 et30 in the rear. However, it just occurred to me I will need to modify the fenders to run wheels that size. Rolling is out of the question since there is some bondo around that one rear quarter panel. I am looking to shave them at this point to accommodate the wheels.

I called a reputable shop in my area and they said they can do it, but they say there is a chance the vibration from the saw could crack the body work. They said this is generally rare, however.

I am thinking about having them shave the fenders when I get my car back on Friday. They said the soft paint shouldn't be an issue. I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with shaving fenders with any body work on the car. I am just wondering if this is the right decision or if I should consider running less aggressive wheels.

Thanks for reading!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 09:08 PM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I’d go with a less aggressive setup and perhaps a 40 series profile tire for ride comfort. Why push it so close to fender?
      06-26-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
weshascar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I'd go with a less aggressive setup and perhaps a 40 series profile tire for ride comfort. Why push it so close to fender?
I really like the look of size wheel. And I've wanted to do the forgestar f14 sdc for a while as well.

However, I think my alternative would be an Apex arc 8 19x9.5 et33. From my research, I can get away with that without any fender work.

2012 Alpine White E92 M3 Coupe w/ Fox Red Extended Leather
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 09:09 PM   #4
!LEFTCOAST!
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92-SG-335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukewes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I'd go with a less aggressive setup and perhaps a 40 series profile tire for ride comfort. Why push it so close to fender?
I really like the look of size wheel. And I've wanted to do the forgestar f14 sdc for a while as well.

However, I think my alternative would be an Apex arc 8 19x9.5 et33. From my research, I can get away with that without any fender work.
I had my fenders shaved in less than 20 minutes without a single issue to date. If that's the look you really want then I'd say why not. Just find someone who knows what they're doing.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2019, 06:25 AM   #5
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukewes View Post

I called a reputable shop in my area and they said they can do it, but they say there is a chance the vibration from the saw could crack the body work. They said this is generally rare, however.
I'd reconsider the reputation of this shop for this mod. A fender shave should be done with a grinder, not a sawz-all. Why can't the body shop doing the repairs take care of this for you?

On a side note, Google Forgestar wheels cracking before you make your wheel choice.
Appreciate 0