E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Valvetronic (VVT) adaptation and function

06-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #1
N524U
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Valvetronic (VVT) adaptation and function

First post after searching for quite a bit.. I'm having an issue trying to determine what is wrong with the the VVT system that is not allowing it to control the air supply to the engine and bypassing VVT to throttle body control. I am rather new (few months) to BMWs and the diag/adap systems for it (INPA) so apologies if there is a general INPA / additional required procedures somewhere for diagnosing / correcting my particular issue.

2006 330i 6-spd manual MSV70 160 kmi

I am attempting to get the DME to relearn the stops through INPA or the self adaptation and control the air supply via VVT (key off key on wait listen for VVT servo motor to adapt). I can enter the adaptation menu in INPA, but am unsure of the actual procedure (my INPA is also in German to add to the confusion).

Do you -> start CAN ->do full 8 step adaptation (upper & lower stops) -> end CAN? or just F2 for both stops without starting CAN

Where can you check if the VVT stops adaptation was properly learned?

I have attempted both methods with the key on and I can hear/feel the VVT cycling through the stops, both with INPA and with key procedure, but when starting I can see in INPA that the VVT goes wide open (180?) and can hear air rushing past the throttle body plate, indicating the system went into bypass mode and using the fail-safe TB for air supply control.

Also, when in INPA and trying to actuate the VVT, the system does not respond. Actuators 1 -> Shift+F7 and cycling through the different angles does not engage the VVT servo (it did before, now I can't figure out what's wrong (actual reading will show something like 44 degrees and 0 for the other). I also cleared all adaptations from memory and get no codes thrown when the engine starts and runs via throttle body, though the engine stumbles at idle. Is there another adapt that needs to be done when clearing all adaptations and trying to re-enable VVT?

Can't seem to find much help on the topic other than replacing the eccentric shaft / ess / and VVT servo and possibly the cam ledges. Any help would be appreciated, much thanks!

-Peter

Last edited by N524U; 06-25-2019 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
N524U
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

So I installed ISTA-D (Rhinegold) to see if there is any difference learning the fences. There were no issues learning the max-min positions in ISTA-D. When I switch back to INPA I can run through the different actuation values with engine off from min-max and actual and nominal values are spot on, and I can hear the cycling of the servo. Engine still defaults to TB control when started and VVT (eccentric shaft motor) is not actuating at all (opened to ~128 degrees, not fully open and performance degradation is noticed on test drive), I can see this in both INPA and ISTA-D under the actuation menu or DME read values. There are no fault codes present on the DME, I've cleared it anyways after observing non VVT operation. Are there other adaptations that need to be applied or some function enabled? Any help would be much appreciated, Thank you!

-Peter
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #3
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N524U View Post
So I installed ISTA-D (Rhinegold) to see if there is any difference learning the fences. There were no issues learning the max-min positions in ISTA-D. When I switch back to INPA I can run through the different actuation values with engine off from min-max and actual and nominal values are spot on, and I can hear the cycling of the servo. Engine still defaults to TB control when started and VVT (eccentric shaft motor) is not actuating at all (opened to ~128 degrees, not fully open and performance degradation is noticed on test drive), I can see this in both INPA and ISTA-D under the actuation menu or DME read values. There are no fault codes present on the DME, I've cleared it anyways after observing non VVT operation. Are there other adaptations that need to be applied or some function enabled? Any help would be much appreciated, Thank you!

-Peter
This is unusual, even if the adaptation don't "take". They will try again in the next ignition cycle. Are you very sure the DME is not storing any codes? Check both active and history.

Seems like you know how to relearn the adaptations. After the relearn are you cycling the ignition one more time before restarting?

I'd try the following. Remove the power leads on the VVL motor and use an Allen key to gently turn the VVL motor to both stops and use INPA to monitor the location. Full open will be something like 174.4 and full closed will be very near zero. Remember the points and run it a few times to see if it repeats. The sensors are very accurate.

The VVL motor should be easy to turn and don't jam it against the stops. Remember to reconnect and relearn after.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 09:24 PM   #4
steviejay408
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i E90

I got a vvt leak!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 02:42 PM   #5
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Valvetronic control is disabled on startup.

Did you let the engine fully warm up before checking the status?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 03:34 PM   #6
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Are you sure about that? I messed around with the VVL and never experienced a cold engine relearn issue. Does the relearn before the motor even starts.

Maybe the acronyms have tripped us.

VVL - Variable valve lift, using the eccentric cam
VVT - Variable Valve timing, camshaft advance/retard
Appreciate 0