E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Trying to Diagnose AC Issue

08-16-2022, 06:45 PM   #1
Alturiak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Trying to Diagnose AC Issue

After years of my AC not working that well (it worked it just never got really cold- vents temps around low 60s), I finally decided to start addressing it on my 2011 E92 335i (N55). I started with a simple system recharge- evacuated the freon out, changed both Schrader valves while it was empty since its cheap and they're a common source of leaks, then pulled vacuum to check for leaks and it held 29inHg just fine. Then I pumped it down for another hour and filled the system with ~620g of refrigerant, per the sticker under my hood. It was extremely hot even in the shaded area I was doing this in at about 100F, but the gauge pressures lined up pretty close with temp/pressure charts I've seen as well as other E9X owners reports when they have done recharging so I figured okay great. Btw the gauge picture was taken while the car was around 2200rpm.

My vent temperatures during this process briefly peaked at around 43F and it was promising but after the full system charge have settled at around 60F-63F at idle and sometimes high 50s while driving on the freeway. I also cleaned the condenser to help optimize system efficiency and help out but something else is up. One of the cans of freon I used has UV dye in it so I will check for leaks in a week or two and see if I can find anything.

Yesterday I loaded up ProTool to do a system scan to make sure no codes are present, and there were none. I then did a live reading to verify if the pressures and temperatures read by ProTool line up with what my instrumentation was telling me and got this:

And now I am really confused as to why the system thinks everything is below freezing temperatures?? The only readings I trust on the read out are the system voltage, refrigerant pressure, and outside temperature. The rest have me dumbfounded as to what's going on. Has anyone had this before or have any thoughts on what it could be?

Also my apologies for the formatting. I couldn't figure out how to insert the pictures in the text instead of them all being at the end
Attached Images

2011 E92 M-Sport BSM, Built N55 with 9.5:1 compression and forged internals, VAC Stage 3 Ported Head, custom tuned by Twisted Tuning, PR Coils, Pure Stage 2, Fuel It! Phoenix Race PI Manifold, StopTech BBK 380mm front 345mm rear, BBS CH-R Titanium, Dinan exhaust w/black tips, BMS Intake, DCT shifter retrofit, VRSF 3.5" downpipe, VRSF 7" HD IC, CSL CF trunk, 335is Rear Diffusor, Alpina B3 Trans Flash
Appreciate 0