E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > MOT Advisory - Worse after pothole hit

08-24-2022, 11:33 AM   #1
avi312singh
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI M Sport

MOT Advisory - Worse after pothole hit

I used to get a small knocking noise from the bottom of the car when I used to go over speed bumps or small bumps on the road... Ever since I hit a pothole the noise has gone worse - it's gone from a subtle knocking noise to a very audible one. Nothing crazily loud and I think it is on the driver side

I am wondering if it could be related to this advisory I got from the garage a few months ago

How expensive are the parts for this? I am not sure what the part numbers are.... I have an E90 LCI (2010)

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Nearside Rear Upper Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 04:10 AM   #2
jacbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCI

Could easily be related. But could also be something else. Do you have a jack and axle stands or access to a lift? best thing is to lift car up and check all suspension components with a pry bar.

Throwing parts at it without checking properly can be a waste of money
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 05:10 AM   #3
BoostedTurtle
Repo Man
Rep
Drives: crabby patty wagon

Your best bet is to have it put on a lift and checked out. There's no exact answer as to what could be making the noise could be just about anything from control arms to axles or tie rods heck even struts can be the issue.

Don't just start buying parts and throwing them at the car that'll be a waste of money and typically you'll want to always replace everything is 2x as in if you change the tie rod or control arm on one side you'll want to do the same for the other.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 01:22 PM   #4
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 Lci, Vectra B V6

If you think its drivers side then its unlikely related as the MOT advisory is passenger side
Appreciate 0