E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 328i Overhaul

08-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #1
Jata
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

E90 328i Overhaul

I have a 07' 328i that has about 170K miles on it now and I have been buying parts throughout the year so I can fix it up all at once. It's been a great daily driver for almost 10 years and I want to keep it going for another 10!

I have a crack in my A/C condenser and I have bought a new one w/ drier core. What else do I need for this? ( o-rings, hoses, ect.)

The suspension is blown and bouncy so I got a new set of Bilstein B6's w/ new mount bushings.

I've got new brake pads and rotors.

BBS Type 42 17"x 8" (I will be repainting these.)

I was planning on also getting new spark plugs and coils.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks everyone!

.Jata
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 03:40 PM   #2
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

check for oil leaks, value cover, oil filter housing. You better start looking at the suspension bushings. Wheel bearing could be on their way out, I already replaced mine at 110K miles, I am at 136K on my 07 and starting to replace stuff myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #3
Jata
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
check for oil leaks, value cover, oil filter housing. You better start looking at the suspension bushings. Wheel bearing could be on their way out, I already replaced mine at 110K miles, I am at 136K on my 07 and starting to replace stuff myself.
I replaced the WP and Thermostat about 3 years ago and the Valve cover gasket about 2 years ago.

I bought the bushing kit with the B6's for like 250 extra I think.

Have you had to work with the A/C at all?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

+1 on the bushings and wheel bearings.

I'd check out the ball joints too for good measure ... although I haven't seen any stranded BMWs due to ball joints like I have on Hondas and Toyotas.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #5
Jata
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N52UNED View Post
+1 on the bushings and wheel bearings.

I'd check out the ball joints too for good measure ... although I haven't seen any stranded BMWs due to ball joints like I have on Hondas and Toyotas.
I'll check out the bearings. I have to get new ones for my e30 too.

Do you have the upgraded intake manifold? (saw your tag) If so how is it?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 04:17 PM   #6
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jata View Post
I'll check out the bearings. I have to get new ones for my e30 too.

Do you have the upgraded intake manifold? (saw your tag) If so how is it?
Yup ... I have the 3IM upgrade. I will state ... having an auto trans I didn't find the 3IM to really do much performance wise until I added the BPC tune. As I understand it ... the 3IM alone is much more noticeable for 325's vs 328's.

If you do get the 3IM I'd highly recommend adding a BPC tune as well. It'll basically turn your 328 into a 330 plus a bit more. It is like driving a different car. I'm planning to flash the trans with the stock 330 trans tune which is said to give a slight bump in torque, as well as, changing the shift points.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 04:31 PM   #7
Jata
Rep

Quote:
Yup ... I have the 3IM upgrade. I will state ... having an auto trans I didn't find the 3IM to really do much performance wise until I added the BPC tune. As I understand it ... the 3IM alone is much more noticeable for 325's vs 328's.

If you do get the 3IM I'd highly recommend adding a BPC tune as well. It'll basically turn your 328 into a 330 plus a bit more. It is like driving a different car. I'm planning to flash the trans with the stock 330 trans tune which is said to give a slight bump in torque, as well as, changing the shift points.

Mine is unfortunately auto as well. What did that cost you in parts?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 04:51 PM   #8
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine is unfortunately auto as well. What did that cost you in parts?
I paid $375 on eBay for my 3IM which included the DISA's in good working order and a throttle body (which isn't really needed you can use your stock one). That seems to be about the going rate ... give or take. But there's better deals to be had if you're not in a hurry. I'd check this site's for sale forum section too. I've seen ones pop up here and there for decent prices. 3IM's aren't very plentiful so the prices are a bit higher from time to time. But it's cheaper than ~ $1200 for a new kit from ECS.

Before the BPC tune ... I could feel a difference while in Sport mode ... but again, not enough to get excited about. Definitely plan on adding a tune. It's a lot of scratch for a relatively small bump in HP and TQ ... but the overall improvement in drivability really makes it a worthwhile investment. I'd say it's much more of a pleasure to drive. Not night and day ... but more like day and evening. However it does make you want more as you do get used to it after a bit.

I'll be doing the trans tune and K&N filter with charcoal delete soon. I'm already looking into adding performance headers (trying to figure catted or catless but that's over $1k) ... but would like to upgrade my wheels to 18's for a bit better handling first. If you're looking at adding a lot more performance ... 3IM - Headers - Tune - K&N Filter charcoal delete.

Last edited by N52UNED; 08-21-2017 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
Jata3.50
      08-21-2017, 07:11 PM   #9
Jata
Rep

Quote:
I paid $375 on eBay for my 3IM which included the DISA's in good working order and a throttle body (which isn't really needed you can use your stock one). That seems to be about the going rate ... give or take. But there's better deals to be had if you're not in a hurry. I'd check this site's for sale forum section too. I've seen ones pop up here and there for decent prices. 3IM's aren't very plentiful so the prices are a bit higher from time to time. But it's cheaper than ~ $1200 for a new kit from ECS.

Before the BPC tune ... I could feel a difference while in Sport mode ... but again, not enough to get excited about. Definitely plan on adding a tune. It's a lot of scratch for a relatively small bump in HP and TQ ... but the overall improvement in drivability really makes it a worthwhile investment. I'd say it's much more of a pleasure to drive. Not night and day ... but more like day and evening. However it does make you want more as you do get used to it after a bit.

I'll be doing the trans tune and K&N filter with charcoal delete soon. I'm already looking into adding performance headers (trying to figure catted or catless but that's over $1k) ... but would like to upgrade my wheels to 18's for a bit better handling first. If you're looking at adding a lot more performance ... 3IM - Headers - Tune - K&N Filter charcoal delete.
I've already removed the carbon filter and upgraded to K&N lol. I would like to do more but being a automatic transmission I don't think it is worth it. (unless I just have tons of extra cash. Haha)
My E30 I just picked up is manual so I think I'll make it faster and just keep my E90 as the daily driver.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: 18"s are pretty rough btw. My buddy's z4 coupe has them and it's brutal on your back! 😁
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #10
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've already removed the carbon filter and upgraded to K&N lol. I would like to do more but being a automatic transmission I don't think it is worth it. (unless I just have tons of extra cash. Haha)
My E30 I just picked up is manual so I think I'll make it faster and just keep my E90 as the daily driver.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: 18"s are pretty rough btw. My buddy's z4 coupe has them and it's brutal on your back! ��
Does he have Run Flats? Sport suspension? ...
My plan is to ditch the RFTs and get 18's and the tallest sidewall I can reasonably fit. I don't have sport suspension so with these considerations it should still be a bit more compliant than 16's with RFTs as these are like riding on bricks.

... good idea about the E30. The N52 takes a lot of scratch and it still won't touch a -35 unless it's a 535 GT. Lol! At least with a 6spd ... the E30 will be a bit more fun to push without being a silly person keeping your E90 auto in the manual setting all the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #11
max_330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

18's with decent tires are firm but not uncomfortable on our cars. If you want to talk about a rough ride, try some 19's on a sport suspension car. Whenever I see E90's on 19's the tires look like rubber bands to me.

Anyway, since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I think it would be worthwhile to do the basic stuff like brake fluid flush, trans fluid flush, check belt and belt tensioners, top up battery cells with distilled water etc. I did all that at the beginning of the summer and I was surprised how much smoother it made the car (esp. the battery, which I thought was toast until I added distilled water).
      08-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #12
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

I would replace fluids according to what BMW recommends and only things that are actually worn.

People have similar cars to your model with double the mileage and have not had to replace many things that are mentioned in here.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #13
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_330i View Post
top up battery cells with distilled water etc.(esp. the battery, which I thought was toast until I added distilled water).
Been meaning to do this. Thanks for the reminder!
Appreciate 1
max_330i340.00
      08-22-2017, 09:34 PM   #14
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Good list I'm in same boat getting things together to keep 330 on road with 125k miles trouble free... I'm looking at doing a trans flush possibly servicing. Replacing all o2 sensors. To get rid of low speed clunking noise I'm going to replace thrust arms bushings with upgraded m3 thrust arms. Vanos system is giving me a bit of trouble hoping replacing four sensors will fix. Interior fan is fluctuating in speed so I'm going to replace the final stage resistor.

Cosmetically I'm getting m3 logo carpets. Aluminum pedals. M3 stitched shift and parking brake boots. Muffler tips. Plus Griots polisher to shine it up.

Long list but all is fairly affordable.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #15
Jata
Rep

Quote:
Does he have Run Flats? Sport suspension? ...
My plan is to ditch the RFTs and get 18's and the tallest sidewall I can reasonably fit. I don't have sport suspension so with these considerations it should still be a bit more compliant than 16's with RFTs as these are like riding on bricks.

... good idea about the E30. The N52 takes a lot of scratch and it still won't touch a -35 unless it's a 535 GT. Lol! At least with a 6spd ... the E30 will be a bit more fun to push without being a silly person keeping your E90 auto in the manual setting all the time.
He's got a 06' Z4 3.0si Coupe With RFT and sport suspension and its really badass but the RFT and sport suspension are hell on bad roads he's thinking of going an inch smaller on the rims. In his case I don't know if taller tires will fit with an 18" rim.
Appreciate 1
N52UNED179.00
      08-23-2017, 12:45 PM   #16
Jata
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
I would replace fluids according to what BMW recommends and only things that are actually worn.

People have similar cars to your model with double the mileage and have not had to replace many things that are mentioned in here.
In my case the suspension is toast the A/C condenser is cracked. I've had coils go bad twice so i figured if I'm already under the hood for a while I might as well get as much done as possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 01:09 PM   #17
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He's got a 06' Z4 3.0si Coupe With RFT and sport suspension and its really badass but the RFT and sport suspension are hell on bad roads he's thinking of going an inch smaller on the rims. In his case I don't know if taller tires will fit with an 18" rim.
He might want to consider regular tires instead of RFTs ... as the ride will be considerably more compliant. There's kits out there that have tire sealants and small pumps in case of a puncture, which is a much better option than carrying a spare ... you'll get about the same distances if not a bit better as than on RFTs as well.

Smaller rims on a Z4 would really detract from the "sporty" look of the car - IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 01:31 PM   #18
Jata
Rep

Quote:
He might want to consider regular tires instead of RFTs ... as the ride will be considerably more compliant. There's kits out there that have tire sealants and small pumps in case of a puncture, which is a much better option than carrying a spare ... you'll get about the same distances if not a bit better as than on RFTs as well.

Smaller rims on a Z4 would really detract from the "sporty" look of the car - IMHO.
I agree that it will not look as good, and that was my suggestion to him. lol

i'm just glad I'm finally getting rid of my awful stock 16"s. (picked up 5 BBS two piece type 42's for 550 bucks!)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #19
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

I have the sport suspension and the best upgrade I have ever done is get rid of the run flats harsh ride overly expensive and had me swerving all over the road to avoid every crack and manhole cover...
Appreciate 0