E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > ► ► ► EVOLVE MOTORSPORTS Switchable Remap Unit Now Available! ◀ ◀ ◀

04-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Thumbs up ► ► ► EVOLVE MOTORSPORTS Switchable Remap Unit Now Available! ◀ ◀ ◀

Evolve now have their Switchable Remap Box available for BMW EDC16 ECU application, which includes 1/318d 122 BHP, 1/320d 163 BHP, 325d, 330d and 335d.

Evolve Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve

It can hold 3 maps ie Standard/Map1/Map2 and allows the user to switch maps by plugging it into the diagnostics port and following the onscreen instructions.

The cost of the switchable unit is £185 inc VAT and delivery plus the cost of the remap. Additional maps are £150 each inc VAT.

To be honest, additional maps are gimmicky. The normal Evolve tunes return a higher MPG figure in any case. The only use we can think of for additional maps at this stage is to have a milder map for the other half driving but then we recommend that you are better off returning the mapping back to standard.

Any questions, please ask below!

(text and picture taken from previous Evolve post - Mod)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3

Any chance of more than 3 maps?

i.e

a) standard
b) valet
c) fuel economy
d) power

Actually that raises two more questions

a) how far can you detune the car?
b) do you have a fuel economy map? i.e one that keeps the turbos off longer or something like that.

Quote:

Not something that has been considered yet. I think 3 maps is probably enough but will see if there is scope for more maps to be stored in the unit.

a) Not something we have tested yet.
b) Our power tunes also return more MPG so we have not looked into trying to improve MPG further. This is something we should look into though.

(text and picture taken from previous posts - Mod)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe

Interesting.

So are the pre-loaded maps, multi-maps?

By multi-maps, I mean maps that are capable of adapting to the latest software from BMW.

My understanding of a Map is one that is written for your specific ECU, when I say specific, I mean specific to it's basic running software.

For example if my map was overwritten tomorrow by BMW, I could not go back to my original mapper and get his original map reloaded, as the newer software from BMW would make the original remap unworkable.

A new map would have to be written that was compatible with the newer software.

So given all the above, how does this set up work?

I can understand the benefits of what's being offered for a servicing scenario, but I personally use the extra power when I want to, and when I don't, I don't. If however other people drive your car than that's also something to consider.

Quote:

The unit holds tuned maps based on the original standard map.

You are correct in your assumption that IF BMW do an ECU update with a new software version the original tuned maps will not work and new maps will have to be written based on the new code.

If this happens the unit will not load the original/tuned maps in. The customer can then use the unit to read out the new original map and email to us for tuning. We return the new tuned files and the customer has new tuned map/s based on the new software version. Or they can bring the car to us which ever they feel most comfortable with.

(text taken from previous posts - Mod)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJ

Thanks!

Aye, the switching unit is a requirement for me! Do you do a package price all in? PM me if you prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan@Evolve

Just read your post again Pete and the Switch does not have the protocols for the 177ED version...........yet. It is currently being worked on so we would hope it won't be too long.

I'm sure Imran will post up as soon as it is available and we can then give you a cracking solution.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJ

Is the switch something I could buy later on, or is it best to get everything done at the same time? I'm eager for power!! LOL!!

Sorry for all the questions!

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 02:25 AM   #6
CraigUK
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 LCI 520D Sport Tourer

This unit is a great idea. The problem is that it gives me a headache when deciding which company and type of remap to go for. I think it's fair to say that Evolve have a great reputation on the forum and I for one have not read a single negative comment about their services.

The problem for me is that Superchips also have probably as good a reputation albeit their post map power outputs are slightly more conservative than what you get from Evolve.

The new evolve unit to me compares directly with the Bluefin from Superchips which can be had for £435 prior to their forum discount. From what I have read the Evolve unit costs £185 plus £499 for the remap, so £684 before discount. Quite a difference!! To save me beating around the bush too much, any chance of getting closer to the Bluefin price guys as the difference is quite significant??
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 02:39 AM   #7
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigUK View Post
This unit is a great idea. The problem is that it gives me a headache when deciding which company and type of remap to go for. I think it's fair to say that Evolve have a great reputation on the forum and I for one have not read a single negative comment about their services.

The problem for me is that Superchips also have probably as good a reputation albeit their post map power outputs are slightly more conservative than what you get from Evolve.

The new evolve unit to me compares directly with the Bluefin from Superchips which can be had for £435 prior to their forum discount. From what I have read the Evolve unit costs £185 plus £499 for the remap, so £684 before discount. Quite a difference!! To save me beating around the bush too much, any chance of getting closer to the Bluefin price guys as the difference is quite significant??
Totally agree I am in the same situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan@evolve View Post

The units are currently costing us 185 quid each and we do not put any mark up on them.

Sultan
Sultan/Imran:

As Evolve are not having to load the map on themselves and therefore saving quite a bit of time and cost at their Luton premise, could you not also incentivise the cost of the home remap to bring this closer to the Bluefin?

e.g.
Map loaded by Evolve - £499
Map loaded by user at home - £350 + device?
      04-17-2009, 02:48 AM   #8
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

My understanding (from talking to various people) is that the Bluefin leaves all sorts of error codes on your car, plus it increments the ECU flash counter, so even if you re-load the standard BMW map before taking the car in for a service, say, yuo may as well put a flourescent sticker on the dashboard saying "This car has been remapped!"

So the only advantage of the Bluefin is that you can load the map yourself and don't have to either travel to a mapper or arrange for a mapper to visit you. Other than that, it's not much use.

Presumably, the evolve handset clears the error codes etc. for you, in the same way that the evolve people would do if you took your car to them?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 03:27 AM   #9
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

I am in this boat and Imran has spoken to me many times to his great credit.

I believe I am a little bit of an annoying poster for sponsors - I get quotes and I write a good talk about what I want etc but so far I have not put any money down.

The reason for that is because as far as I can see one company was leading the race (it wasnt Evolve) but that has now changed and I want an Evolve map. Partly because of the reputation of the map and partly because of the reputation and way that Evolve have handled my many questions.

I see it like this - I could pay 10 or 20% more for an Evolve map because I believe the result and resulting service will be 10 to 20% better but from the figures I have been quoted it seems more like about 45 - 50% more.

Hence the quandry lol.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 03:31 AM   #10
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Perhaps if Evolve had some guaranteed orders from forum members it would be easier to negotiate.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 03:33 AM   #11
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Well if it helps, someone will be remapping my car before I go to France - the sooner the better for me lol and I definately want the switch unit...

I will even pay a deposit if it guarantees the right discount!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 04:05 AM   #12
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Yeah, group buy may help ?
      04-17-2009, 04:25 AM   #13
Sultan@evolve
Private
Rep
Drives: Evo VI TME / RX7

Group Buy Offer on evolve switch.....

Ok......where to start......
First, Thank you Tony for separating this thread. I knew moderators had a purpose somewhere.

Secondly.....Evolve Switch.....mmmmmmm
The switch in itself can;
Read Fault Codes
Clear Fault Codes
Automatically clears fault codes each time a map is loaded.
Hold 1 Original map + 2 tuned maps

In terms of pre-loading maps before we send the unit out, this is not possible as we need your original files to develop a tuned one. However, the process is a relatively simple one to undertake in reading and loading files yourself. All files will be sent via email.

Thirdly.........Price........
Our retail currently stands at £185 for the unit and £499 for the map. Total = £684. The forum discount takes 20% off the map which brings the total to £584 which in reality for what you get, is a bloody good price (but I would say that )

We are willing to do a group buy special on the switch + map of £185 for the unit and £350 for the map (This includes for this group buy only, the 335d remap – normally £599). Total = £535 and free postage to UK mainland.

In order for us to do this price, I need 10 buyers. Imran is going to put a post up in the main classified section with this offer to help to get the numbers we need to give you this deal.

If you are up for this, please list your names below....
      04-17-2009, 07:09 AM   #14
PeteJ
Diesel Head
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Convertible E93

What would it be for a 320D ED (once the unit is out that is)?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #15
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
I would be possibly looking to get one of these for our X5 35d. I have just loaded a Bluefin into it yesterday and am not that impressed with the performance increase - so am thinking of returning it before the 7 days are up.

I am wondering if its because its a big heavy lump (2.2 tons) and that no remap is gonna make much difference??
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 08:24 AM   #16
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cdsport View Post
I would be possibly looking to get one of these for our X5 35d. I have just loaded a Bluefin into it yesterday and am not that impressed with the performance increase - so am thinking of returning it before the 7 days are up.

I am wondering if its because its a big heavy lump (2.2 tons) and that no remap is gonna make much difference??
Is that the new shape X5 you have?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #17
illingworth22
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

All ready PM'd you on this, but I would be interested in the 177bhp 320 D option!
Put my name down!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #18
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan@evolve View Post
We are willing to do a group buy special on the switch + map of £185 for the unit and £350 for the map (This includes for this group buy only, the 335d remap – normally £599). Total = £535 and free postage to UK mainland
Sultan/Imran.

You have answered all my questions etc and I have constantly nagged about price, now you have put your price where my mouth is so to speak, it would not be gentlemanly of me to turn you down.

So for £535 you have your first definate.

335D by the way and I would prefer the more common remap option to be put on the device (I think last time we spoke you had a high torque, or a high bhp option - I would prefer the BHP one but if thats not the way it works anymore, I will have whatever your selling nowadays)

Matt

Last edited by RagingKileak; 04-17-2009 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Added car and map option...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #19
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Thumbs up

This looks like a superb piece if kit Top job Evolve. I can't wait to get a 335i and have this.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #20
charliesum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

THANK YOU
335D touring 07
90% motorway so big torque needed or custom or whatever.....
can i transfer this to x5 sd if i change
book me INNNNNNNN
      04-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #21
PeteJ
Diesel Head
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Convertible E93

I can't wait for the 320D Switch to come out!!

Come on boys!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 02:34 AM   #22
Logic108
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 320D 2007

Hi there Imran,
Just a few questions. I have a 2007 320D (163bhp) and want to get an Evolve map on it. So basically I buy the box and download my original map and then send it to you by email and you then send an Evolve map for my car, which I then load back into the car's ECU?
So if this is correct then:
1. How to I get the original map from my car and onto the unit and then onto my computer so I can send it as an email attachment.
2. Do I need to have my car's original map recorded on a rolling road? Or is it just a case of reading my original ECU without the car moving anywhere or being driven?

If I misunderstood something please let me know. As I understand it right now this system would allow me (an amateur) to load an Evolve profile (professional) onto my car without having to visit a garage. Is this correct?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0