E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > ED dilema.....how much to pack ?????

02-03-2007, 09:36 AM   #1
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Monaco E92 335i

ED dilema.....how much to pack ?????

OK forum friends, I need help determining how much space I will really have in the trunk of an E92 when I arrive in Germany.
Interior will be carrying to big guys (1x XL and 1x XXL) and to small ladies in back (size 0 and size 2). From my own personal examination I am thinking the two ladies of that size should be plenty comfortable for stints up to 3 hours. Correct?? I am sure some of you have taken trips already please let me know if this is crazy or not.
Trunk space: What are the real usable dimensions for suitcases? I figure I can slide carry-ons to the sides, but what size suitcases can I fit in the middle, assuming each couple has one, each as large as possible. If anyone has packed their car to full capacity, I would love to get a sense of how it (335i Coupe/sport pkg) handles as well.
You guys have already saved me thousands and made so many decisions easier. Thank you for your feedback in advance!

Nov 26th she has made landfall in NYC.
Now the wait for PCD begins! Scheduled for 12.21.07
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

I put a lot of crap in my trunk; but I usually fold the seats down. Without the seats down I can fit three plastic totes (24 long, 16 wide, 18 high) easily. With that I can also fit a coiled 100 foot hose, 2 100 foot extension cords, and some misc halogen lights. Sorry I don't have any experience putting luggage in it yet If I had to guess I would say you could put 4 carry on sized roller pieces of luggage. (like this: http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/d...eature=Link_17) without much trouble.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 11:10 AM   #3
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
I put a lot of crap in my trunk; but I usually fold the seats down. Without the seats down I can fit three plastic totes (24 long, 16 wide, 18 high) easily. With that I can also fit a coiled 100 foot hose, 2 100 foot extension cords, and some misc halogen lights. Sorry I don't have any experience putting luggage in it yet If I had to guess I would say you could put 4 carry on sized roller pieces of luggage. (like this: http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/d...eature=Link_17) without much trouble.
Thank Picus, I will measure some of my luggage and see how it compares to your totes. My fear is I will get there and we will all go to get in the car and end up throwing something away just to fit. If you get a chance and happen to have a tape around, could you take a few "real world" dimensions of the main area of the trunk. On my test drive I meant to take one with me and forgot both times. How does the car drive loaded down?

Oh yeah, no rush in the measurements. I have months till I actually need them, just trying to stay ahead of things. 8 people on this trip and in planning for everyone, I always leave my shit to the last and generally regret not preparing myself as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

No prob, I am working on the car today and will take some measurements. The car drives well loaded down; I am on lowered springs and have not had an issue with all my detailing stuff in the back; which is probably well over 200lbs. The MPG suffers a bit but that's it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No prob, I am working on the car today and will take some measurements. The car drives well loaded down; I am on lowered springs and have not had an issue with all my detailing stuff in the back; which is probably well over 200lbs. The MPG suffers a bit but that's it.
Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time. I'll keep an eye out for your post.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Don't forget to leave space for the inevitable shopping and souvenirs

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC View Post
Don't forget to leave space for the inevitable shopping and souvenirs
I'm with you on that one! We are going for three weeks and switching to a 9 passenger Ford Transit Combi (?)after the first week. We're meeting the balance of the group and leaving the 335 behind for a short while. The real test will come when we try to get everything on the plane. Last trip I was moving stuff from bag to bag at the last minute, in line I might add, to make the weight requirements which have become more and more stringent of late. Good thing they don't weigh me after three weeks of pasta in Italy!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #8
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I love ms paint. I was conservative on the dimensions, since you know you'll never be able to use it all, but keep that in mind.

[img]http://****************/trunkdimensions.jpg[/img]

The entire thing is ~18" high. Realistically without taking into account the rear of the trunk (closest to the bumper) where it is almost 50" wide, you really have about 38x38x18 to deal with reasonably (the area I highlighted).
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I love ms paint. I was conservative on the dimensions, since you know you'll never be able to use it all, but keep that in mind.

[img]http://****************/trunkdimensions.jpg[/img]

The entire thing is ~18" high. Realistically without taking into account the rear of the trunk (closest to the bumper) where it is almost 50" wide, you really have about 38x38x18 to deal with reasonably (the area I highlighted).
Picus, you're the man! I am going to measure my bags right now. If I ever make it back up north I owe you a beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedbimmer View Post
Dude, i dont know how MUCH to pack but i will say to pack to variety of things because the weather in Germany is really wierd this year. cold one day and wet and cool the next to snowing the next.. just to have it melt the next.
I am planning on being in Munich only for two days then heading south. Fortunately it will also be in October so the weather is just turning if memory serves. Normally I need a jacket the first few weeks of October, but this year we are going mid-month (missing Octoberfest this year ) and returning mid November. November on the other hand can be unpredictable, but I will only be driving in to drop off as I hate the thought of someone hammering my new car from Rome to Munich......That's my job! Rigth??
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 09:52 PM   #10
mrbelk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.F1 Fan View Post
Thank Picus, I will measure some of my luggage and see how it compares to your totes. My fear is I will get there and we will all go to get in the car and end up throwing something away just to fit. If you get a chance and happen to have a tape around, could you take a few "real world" dimensions of the main area of the trunk. On my test drive I meant to take one with me and forgot both times. How does the car drive loaded down?

Oh yeah, no rush in the measurements. I have months till I actually need them, just trying to stay ahead of things. 8 people on this trip and in planning for everyone, I always leave my shit to the last and generally regret not preparing myself as well.
I would recommend going down to your BMW Center with all the bags you expect to take and ask your CA if you can borrow one of their E92's to do some "space planning" for your trip.

I travelled to Spain last year with my wife and another couple for 2 weeks, and we completely filled up the back of a Renault Scenic. I have sinceswitched my rectangular suitcased in favor of rolling duffels. We picked up a set of them from the Samsonite store (the line is called "Black Canyon").

Also check out www.packinglight.net and the various brands and types of lightweight, fast drying travel underwear, socks, and pants from companies like ExOfficio. My wife and I are notorious "overpackers," but for our ED trip this spring, I intend to change all that.

-MrB
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2007, 08:20 AM   #11
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk View Post
I would recommend going down to your BMW Center with all the bags you expect to take and ask your CA if you can borrow one of their E92's to do some "space planning" for your trip.

I traveled to Spain last year with my wife and another couple for 2 weeks, and we completely filled up the back of a Renault Scenic. I have since switched my rectangular suitcases in favor of rolling duffels. We picked up a set of them from the Samsonite store (the line is called "Black Canyon").

Also check out www.packinglight.net and the various brands and types of lightweight, fast drying travel underwear, socks, and pants from companies like ExOfficio. My wife and I are notorious "overpackers," but for our ED trip this spring, I intend to change all that.

-MrB
...all good ideas. I have been thinking about those rolling duffels as I have heard that they are pretty good and at the same time offer enough protection and flexibility. I normally take a few large Eddie Bauer duffels empty and fill them with dirty clothes or stuff which can't get hurt. This seems to work out well on the return leg.

Exofficio stuff is awesome. Anyone who travels should be buying their stuff. The boxers roll up smaller than a pair of socks and with a little woolite they can be cleaned and dried in hours. A Friend turned me on to their stuff about a year and a half ago and finally I made the full conversion about a year ago when REI had it on sale and "my boys" have never been happier. I was concerned about how well they would last, but my friend has had some for three years now and says he can't tell the old from the new.

Good advice...I will look into the "black canyon" stuff.....thanks!

Last edited by Mr.F1 Fan; 02-19-2007 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #12
klinkerklu
Respect my Authoritay
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi ED

Garage List
2006 330xi ED  [0.00]
"I would recommend going down to your BMW Center with all the bags you expect to take and ask your CA if you can borrow one of their E92's to do some "space planning" for your trip."

I second that. Our CA laughed at us when we showed up with our intended luggage to do a test run, but joked about what comitted customers we were.
Hey, the last thing you want to to on a perfect ED trip is screw up your bumper (the car is going to get pretty dirty driving around everywhere) jamming in a bunch of luggage. If you pack well this won't be an issue.
      02-04-2007, 10:09 PM   #13
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk View Post

I travelled to Spain last year with my wife and another couple for 2 weeks, and we completely filled up the back of a Renault Scenic. I have sinceswitched my rectangular suitcased in favor of rolling duffels. We picked up a set of them from the Samsonite store (the line is called "Black Canyon").

-MrB
+1 you would be surprised at what people bring in to the dealership to see how things fit.One of the funniest was my customers dog an English Mastif,that weighed over 250,but was able to get in the rear door of the X5.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2007, 04:01 PM   #14
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep

To update and inform, I would like to add the following info to this thread. While the information is not the most vital, it may save some of you some time in planning your space in an E92 or E90 for any travel, be it ED or otherwise.

I stopped by a dealer today with the two duffel bags I purchased after getting dimensions (and those slammin' diagrams!)from Picus and further advice from a slew of others. The end result was a pair of Sierra Designs rolling drop bottom 36 inch duffel bags. I gotta tell you, they are huge, but they fit perfectly side by side and offer the flexibility needed with soft sidewalls. In the end the benefit of the rolling duffel came down to the fact that it is taller and skinnier than a regular suitcase. It also stores more compactly when not in use.

The trunk (either E90 or E92) has two rails running down the sides which perfectly sandwich the two bags together. (E92)

With the bags slid in (E92) side by side, not an inch to spare.....

Bags in the trunk of an E90

They certainly fit both cars with just enough room to spare to get things down the sides and in the little bump outs alongside of the bags. They of course will expand to the fill all the way to the bottom of the rear deck, but otherwise should offer an exact fit for those needing to maximize space.

I purchased them at Sierra Trading Post for $69.00 on closeout. Here is the link for those needing further information on the bag and perhaps to order them for your trip.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...op-Bottom.html

I hope someone finds this info useful. Best of luck. Feel free to shoot me any questions in case I left anything out.

-Mr.F1

Last edited by Mr.F1 Fan; 02-28-2007 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0